Need Advice: IEM's/Noise Canceling for studying
Dec 4, 2012 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

medstudent

New Head-Fier
I need advice on the best way to get sound quality and noise elimination. I use my headphones to block out my kids talking/screaming/banging while I'm studying. I was originally considering NC headphones namely PSB M4U 2 and Audio Technica ATH ANC9, but after reading a few articles I am wondering if IEM's are a better way to go. I was thinking about the Shure 425's or the Etymotic with the custom mold (I assume they still do the $100 Custom Fit program). I am definitely open to suggestions I really don't know what I should get. I want to stay around or below $400.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 5
Noise-cancelling headphones give off a hum whenever they're on. It can get annoying for some people.

Etymotic silicone tips typically provide the best passive isolation for universal fit tips, as good as anything out there, but some people don't get along well with the fit (like me).

If you're looking for absolute isolation, you're better off getting silicone custom tips with something like an Etymotic, or spending a tiny bit more and getting a lower-priced silicone custom IEM, like an ACS T3 or Altec-Lansing A1 (a retuned ACS T3, basically). If you're in the EU, you can look into the Spiral Ears 1-Way Pro.

Don't forget that the NRR (noise reduction rating) are just raw figures; for real-world, A-weighted noise reduction figures, the rule of thumb is that you need to subtract the NRR by 7 and divide it by 2. So, if a manufacturer claims that they're providing -34 dB of noise isolation, your exposure reduction would be (34-7)/2 = 13.5 dB(A), meaning that you have to wear it in environments with time-weighted averages of  <99 dB(A) to be under the OSHA/OISHE recommendations of <85 dB(A).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back