Need advice: Good value headphone amp for Denon D7000s
Oct 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Hetfield72

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I just posted in the portable headphone amp section as well, but I thought that I could also be open to a "non-portable" solution to my problem as well so I am also posting here.

Background:
My current listening setup is a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 and a CMOY homemade headphone amplifier in an Altoid tin hooked up to an iPod classic. This has worked well for me for a couple of years, but I have recently upgraded my headphones to the Denon AH-D7000 and I am thinking that I will probably need to upgrade my amp as well.

I use my headphones for music listening (not gaming, movies, etc.) with my iPod classic. I typically listen to them at my office or when I am out at lunch during the work day. Because of this, something that is somewhat portable is nice. It doesn't have to be "fit in your pocket" portable, but I should be able to set it up on a desk and move it when I want. I typically listen to rock, heavy metal, and acoustic music. My budget is open, but honestly I am having a hard time rationalizing spending over $250 on an amp (however i used to be there with headphones and now have no problem dropping $500+ on a pair so maybe it just takes time).

So I am hoping that someone will have some suggestions (specifically for use with my Denon d7000 headphones - 25 ohm impedence).

Criteria:
  1. Would like it to power itself with batteries to make it more portable. This isn't essential, but it would be ideal.
  2. Should work with an iPod classic
  3. Something that is a good match for the Denon D7000
  4. Something that doesn't break the bank. I'm sure there is a great $1000 amp out there for my purpose, but honestly I think $300 max is what I'm willing to spend at the moment.

Any advice is appreciated! I want to get the most out of these headphones, but not spend an arm and a leg doing it if I can help it.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 8
Honestly within your price range my pick would be the FiiO E9. It's a really great pair with the D7000 (as are most SS amps). It gives them a good kick in the pants. 

If you can stretch the budget and go for a DAC/Amp unit get the Yulong D100. It was my favorite amp with the D7000 that I heard when I had them. Tons of features packed into a great box.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 8
hey,

Did you build the cmoy yourself, cause there are better homemade amps with all the work around 300$ budget.

just can't tell you how the combination will work out.  

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the replies. No I didn't build the CMOY myself. I bought it online a few years ago when I wanted an intro amp and didn't want to spend too much money. I wouldn't feel totally confident building a new one myself, unless it was fairly straightforward.

It looks like the FiiO E9 and Yulong D100 both have pretty good reviews, however they both look like they require power from an electrical outlet. While this would certainly work for me if I left the set-up at work, it wouldn't work as a portable solution. I could live with that if I had to, but an all in one solution would be perfect if one exists. I have read about it online, but honestly I am still a little confused about whether I just need an amp or if I need and amp/dac combo for use with my iPod.

I stumbled across this video online where someone is using a Meier Audio CORDA portable amp with the D7000s. Does anyone have any experience with these amps? Are they any good? The one thing going on in this video that I don't do in my current set up is the use of the iPod line-out as a connection to the amp instead of the headphone jack. I like this idea (and maybe I should have always been doing this) because it will let me bypass the (most likely) inadequete headphone jack.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 8
You should be using the iPod line out to connect to your amp.  In general, I find that using a line out dock to connect to an amp sounds better than double amping.  I have had the E9 and I think that if you spend a little more to get an O2 (another amp that can be homemade, but is built and sold by jds labs for about $150) you will be pleased.  The O2 fits all your requirements.  You can run it on ac power at your desk or run it on battery power when you are out and about.  It certainly doesn't fit in your pocket, but it is a nice transportable amp.  People say that it works well with D5000 and D7000 and I have first hand experience with it paired with my D2000 (both pre-modified and post-modified).  I don't think you can do better than this amp for the money.  Ideally it would be best if you could listen and try out all your choices for yourself, this is just my opinion and experience.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 8
I was going to recommend the O2 but since I've never heard it with the D7000 I didn't want to go there. It absolutely fits the bill though.

And yes, the E9 runs off mains power but you could be awesome and DIY a power supply for it like one member here. He uses his E9 as a portable amp. 
basshead.gif

Quote:
You should be using the iPod line out to connect to your amp.  In general, I find that using a line out dock to connect to an amp sounds better than double amping.  I have had the E9 and I think that if you spend a little more to get an O2 (another amp that can be homemade, but is built and sold by jds labs for about $150) you will be pleased.  The O2 fits all your requirements.  You can run it on ac power at your desk or run it on battery power when you are out and about.  It certainly doesn't fit in your pocket, but it is a nice transportable amp.  People say that it works well with D5000 and D7000 and I have first hand experience with it paired with my D2000 (both pre-modified and post-modified).  I don't think you can do better than this amp for the money.  Ideally it would be best if you could listen and try out all your choices for yourself, this is just my opinion and experience.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Thank you for the excellent tip. The O2 definetley seems to fit the bill on my requirements (within the price range, flexibility in terms of power, somewhat portable). I have a very difficult time telling the quality headphone amps from the ones that are very expensive because they look cool. I really wish I could listen to them in person to get an idea, but that doesn't look like an option. i really appreciate you sharing your feedback and experience.

As far as line out connectors go, there seems to be a VERY WIDE price range. Just doing a quick search I've come upon everything from the $9 FiiO L3 to the $200 ALO Triple Pipe. I will definelty not spend as much as that ALO adapter (since it would be more than my amp!), but should I be looking for some middle ground here or will a $10 adapter basically get me where I need to be within reason?

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 8
I can't really hear the difference between cables.  I admit that I have never experienced a super high end cable or anything, but I have decent gear and I have never spent much on cables at all.  I actually have a cheaper line out cable than the Fiio you found and I find that it works just fine.  I don't think you can go wrong with a Fiio LOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back