Apr 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

zzztimbo

New Head-Fier
I have the following headphones:

Grado SR-60
Sennheiser HD 497
Shure E3c
Entymotic ER-4P

I spend a lot of time in front of the computer, so I was thinking a portable DAC/Amp combo with battery power might be a good idea. My budget is in the $200-400 range.

Would anyone recommend the Headroom Total Bithead package?

Entry-Level Audiophile Package @ HeadRoom: The World's Best Headphone Audio Store

Would I be better off just spending the 300 bucks on a better DAC/Amp?

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 12
The NuForce Icon Mobile is better and smaller than the Total Bithead. But I would recommend the audio-gd Compass if you don't need portable - and with those headphones, I don't think you do. Get it while it's still being sold at the discount price.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 12
I would recommend thinking long term if you want value. Start with something that is as high of quality as possible and portable so that you have that option.

I got a LDMKI when I got the DT-990 and it has been great. Despite the 990 being far from portable I have used them on long trips in cars and plains numerous times. I am now planning on getting some portable phones and it is great that I already have a good portable amp to go with anything I buy, thus saving me money.

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 12
If you want the NuForce Icon and like the looks, they do a mobile version too, maybe in your budget you might be able to get both, so your getting a USB/optical DAC/AMP and a mobile headphone amp, however for that price range you might be able to get a stand alone DAC/AMP that's better unless you wanna go mobile!

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 12
I don't know about the HD-497 or the ER-4P, but the SR-60 and e3c don't need an external amp. I've listened to (and given away) a hal dozen SR-60s and own the RS-1. I also keep the e3c around for air travel. I run both straight from an iPod and am happy with it.

If I were you, I'd look at a headphone upgrade. If you took the money and sold a couple pairs, you might be able to work into a used RS-2. A MS-2i would be affordable, too. You could also go for a Sennheiser HD-600, or maybe a HD-650. Those need an amp, but you could get by with a $25 vintage receiver.

I think you'd be far better off moving up the scale with headphones rather than buying a box that won't make much difference with a SR-60 or a e3c. A used HD-600 for $200 and a $25 vintage Marantz off Craigslist (for example) would slaughter a SR-60 plugged into some battery powered amp.

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about the HD-497 or the ER-4P, but the SR-60 and e3c don't need an external amp. You could also go for a Sennheiser HD-600, or maybe a HD-650. Those need an amp, but you could get by with a $25 vintage receiver.

Totally seconded. Don't bother amping those. I have some experience with the HD477 (about the same as the HD497), and seriously, I'm better off with my HD555. And why don't you go with a full-size amp. A full-size amp, or a full-size receiver? And a full-size headphone?

For instance, why would someone buy a netbook if it has the space for a PC tower, keyboard, mouse and a huge monitor? Do you really want something portable? Always remember that portability always come at the price of compromises. And you probably don't want those compromises.

You could also go with the old receiver option, alone, and you would probably live happily with it for the rest of your life.

And don't bother amping these iems, either. Iems were made to be so highly efficient any decent source can drive them well. Adding an amp wouldn't do much, if anything.

The entry-level audiophile package doesn't seem like a deal, at all. Do you really want that 60$ bag? 100$ headphones, with 160$ amp and 60$ bag for 310$ isn't whooping value. I personally always wanted to try Headroom products, but I never saw a deal I wanted. They have quite a reputation though, and are, for better or for worse, with all the bias it might cause to the forum members, a huge sponsor of the community.

You can buy from them with all the confidence in the world though.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 12
None of the headphones you have require an amp. If you're looking to upgrade, you might want to plan ahead, like others have mentioned, and think about what kind of rig you'd like (from headphones to amp and source, etc,), start researching and planning for the whole system. It's crazy to spend money on a currently unneeded component without planning out what where you would like to take your rig down the line. It's easy to throw money out the window in this hobby. Some of that is part of the fun, but it's more fun to build a rig that will keep you happy for a long time.

May 2, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think you'd be far better off moving up the scale with headphones rather than buying a box that won't make much difference with a SR-60 or a e3c. A used HD-600 for $200 and a $25 vintage Marantz off Craigslist (for example) would slaughter a SR-60 plugged into some battery powered amp.

I couldn't agree more. You would save a great deal of money and spare yourself some "upgraditis."

May 2, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 12
Agreed that you really don't need an amp but from my experience, the Head Direct EF 1 is a great amp that makes budget headphones sing! The EF 1 was designed for low impedance headphones and I think it enhances many budget headphones and IEMs because it really adds that nice tube sound in a pleasing way. I love it.

But at the same time, those headphones that you have are effiecient and will sound good without an amp. But if you wanna add a little tube love, the EF 1 is perfect baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back