Need advice for high end combo.
Aug 20, 2015 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

cheesegrados

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys and Gal, I'm new to the highend level of headphone setup. Right now  I have a good "o" budget of 4000 dollars to spend on headphone, amp and dac. What combo should i go for?

My current setup is,
Audio Technica ATH-M50x 
Asus Xonar STX (for Amp/DAC)

These are my top 3 favorite headphone flavors. 
1. Audeze LCD-XC (the best I ever heard) magni2 /modi2 uber setup
2. Grado RS1i (These sound so good to me) amp with Xonar STX
3. Hifman He-500 (Third place, on par with RS1, amp with Xonar STX

I really appreciate any advise, and I thank you in advance.

Plan A. 
Hifiman he-1000,  $3000
Schiit Lyr 2,  $449
Schiit Bifrost uber. $519
------------------------------------
3968 grand total

Plan B. 
Audeze LCD 3 $1945
Schiit Mjolnir 2 $849
Schiit Gungnir /w multibit upgrade  $1249
---------------------------------------------------------------
total $4043

Plan C. 
Audio Technica ATH-M50x (free currently own)
Schiit Ragnarok $1699
Schiit Yggdrasil $ 2299
------------------------------------------------------------------
total $3998

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 28
Plan C seems unwise, unless you plan to buy totl hp in the near future. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 28
Headphones are the most important part of the audio chain and you have enough money to buy some really good stuff. I think you should go out and try some of the different flagships and see what soundsignature fits you and then go from there. Remember, more expensive doesn't always equal better.     

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 28
If the LCD-XC is the best thing you ever heard, how about getting that and a good amp/DAC setup?  People in the LCD-XC thread can recommend a DAC and amp for you based on your budget.  Obviously you have many choices, such as the Schiit stack you listed with your LCD-3 plan.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 28
  Plan C seems unwise, unless you plan to buy totl hp in the near future. 

You're right. If I go with plan C then I have to stick with Audio Technica ATH-M50x for a year, until my budget replenish. Then I can start looking for TOTL headphones. But do you think plan C, will make my M50x sound absolutely magical? 

Quote:
  Headphones are the most important part of the audio chain and you have enough money to buy some really good stuff. I think you should go out and try some of the different flagships and see what soundsignature fits you and then go from there. Remember, more expensive doesn't always equal better.     

Whats the best way to go out and try out flagship headphones? I can use return policy and it would cost me 5% restocking and only 14 day trial from something like moon audio. Does it sound like a good idea? 

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 28
  If the LCD-XC is the best thing you ever heard, how about getting that and a good amp/DAC setup?  People in the LCD-XC thread can recommend a DAC and amp for you based on your budget.  Obviously you have many choices, such as the Schiit stack you listed with your LCD-3 plan.

Yeah, that sounds good, I can get LCD-XC and good AMP and DAC. I'll head over to the LCD-XC thrread and ask for advice. I'm open for any suggestions. The plan A,B, and C is not fixed, you guys and gals can give me your combo suggestions if you like. Thanks.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 28

You're right. If I go with plan C then I have to stick with Audio Technica ATH-M50x for a year, until my budget replenish. Then I can start looking for TOTL headphones. But do you think plan C, will make my M50x sound absolutely magical? 

No.  The M50X won't become something it's not.  I think anyone would tell you that your Xonar Essence STX is not really holding it back much.  That kind of equipment is pure overkill for the M50X.  

The only options I like are the first two.  The HE1000 sounds surprisingly good on mid-fi equipment like that, although it sounds way better on TOTL equipment.  So I'd advise upgrading again in another year or so, to a better DAC and amp.

Plan B looks lovely on paper though I never heard the combo myself.  Even if it's an unpopular combo, you can afford different amps.  Another plan would be to replace the LCD-3 with the LCD-XC which you say is the best thing you've ever heard.  That, along with researching popular LCD-XC amp combos in your price range, is a safe choice since you know you love the LCD-XC already.

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #8 of 28

No.  The M50X won't become something it's not.  I think anyone would tell you that your Xonar Essence STX is not really holding it back much.  That kind of equipment is pure overkill for the M50X.  

The only options I like are the first two.  The HE1000 sounds surprisingly good on mid-fi equipment like that, although it sounds way better on TOTL equipment.  So I'd advise upgrading again in another year or so, to a better DAC and amp.

Plan B looks lovely on paper though I never heard the combo myself.  Even if it's an unpopular combo, you can afford different amps.  Another plan would be to replace the LCD-3 with the LCD-XC which you say is the best thing you've ever heard.  That, along with researching popular LCD-XC amp combos in your price range, is a safe choice since you know you love the LCD-XC already.

Yeah the LCD-XC was so sweet, I had a chance to use it for 2 weeks and life was great until i had to return it. So I might just change plan b to LCD-XC. I always ponder the question though, does the LCD-3 sound better at all?  Since it's the most expensive Audeze to date. But Youth did said  "Remember, more expensive doesn't always equal better." So i am aware now, but what do you think? 

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 28

Yeah the LCD-XC was so sweet, I had a chance to use it for 2 weeks and life was great until i had to return it. So I might just change plan b to LCD-XC. I always ponder the question though, does the LCD-3 sound better at all?  Since it's the most expensive Audeze to date. But Youth did said  "Remember, more expensive doesn't always equal better." So i am aware now, but what do you think? 

A good question.  The funny thing is, I had the chance to audition the LCD-XC and LCD-3F side by side, but I got distracted and never got around to the XC.  My mindset was that I wasn't getting a closed headphone ever again, so no point in listening to it.  I regret not listening to it though.  I will say that the LCD-3F is amazing.  I'll never get it due to its price, since at that price I'd get an electrostatic headphone every time, but it was very musical and inviting and enjoyable.  I auditioned it with the Ayre Acoustics QB-9 DAC and Headamp GS-X Mk2 amp.

Some here is bound to have heard both though, and should be able to compare them.  

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 28

A good question.  The funny thing is, I had the chance to audition the LCD-XC and LCD-3F side by side, but I got distracted and never got around to the XC.  My mindset was that I wasn't getting a closed headphone ever again, so no point in listening to it.  I regret not listening to it though.  I will say that the LCD-3F is amazing.  I'll never get it due to its price, since at that price I'd get an electrostatic headphone every time, but it was very musical and inviting and enjoyable.  I auditioned it with the Ayre Acoustics QB-9 DAC and Headamp GS-X Mk2 amp.

Some here is bound to have heard both though, and should be able to compare them.  

Since you said you'll take electrostatic headphone over those LCD's. Can you name me your few favorites?  Electrostatic might be interesting and open up for buying opportunity for me. 

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 28

Since you said you'll take electrostatic headphone over those LCD's. Can you name me your few favorites?  Electrostatic might be interesting and open up for buying opportunity for me. 

Stax SR-007 and SR-009.  You can get an SR-007 for under $2k and Stax has some amps that will fit within your budget.  Electrostatic headphones are quite simply the most transparent.  To my ears, they are the most realistic sounding.  The SR-007 is mostly neutral, though the current ones are said to have some mid-bass emphasis I think, and they all have slightly laid back treble.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 28

Neither had I until I was told about it, then I tried one and bought one. They are pricey, but there is nothing else like it at the moment.

Thank you for pointing out an Amazing product that i might consider! Appreciate it. I have a question though. What kind of Headphones are you using with it? So I believe that the chord hugo is pretty much end game equipment.   

Stax SR-007 and SR-009.  You can get an SR-007 for under $2k and Stax has some amps that will fit within your budget.  Electrostatic headphones are quite simply the most transparent.  To my ears, they are the most realistic sounding.  The SR-007 is mostly neutral, though the current ones are said to have some mid-bass emphasis I think, and they all have slightly laid back treble.

I gotta check that out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back