Need Advice: Dress Shoes for Interviews, Cost no Object
Jan 12, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #76 of 113
What I mean is, paying a lot of money/too much because of the name on it, when everything else is the same or more or less the same from a less fashionable name. Function is important and besides I dislike the look of the straps, I can't imagine they are as easy to deal with as laces.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #77 of 113
Quote:
Saw the Allen Edmonds with the straps pic on here, hideous shoes. A pair of brown Oxfords, nothing over expensive unless you have a thing for fashion.

I don't like'em either - they scream [feminine hygiene product] to me, but in-vogue style aside you've got to be resigned to paying a certain amount for a decent grade of hand-built quality. Then there's degrees of that, for which you can expect to pay more.

Which leads me to a somewhat related question at the opposite end of the scale: Disposable shoes. A lot of days I'm e.g. rooting around a datacenter as well as needing to meet people. Truly nice shoes are out of question for this type of duty cycle: I would not, for example, consider temporarily supporting the front edge of a rackmount server on the toes of my Lobbs or indeed my Hard Grafts even at the lower end. After rummaging around the <£200 range on various occasions I've settled on the Clarks Dino Boss (£90) as my go-to disposable. The leather's way more supple than anything I've found at the price, it's comfy, and although wear is not very good and they're not that rebuildable it seems to do the job.

Does anyone have suggestions for a better balance of form, look, ROI (as in the soles wear out / get damaged relatively quickly on the Dino but they're not rebuildable in that respect so a somewhat more expensive pair which is fully rebuildable at reasonable cost might have better ROI) and function? It's not an urgent question as I have plenty of the Dinos to last me for a few years, but it's worth some research in the near future.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #78 of 113
Quote:
What I mean is, paying a lot of money/too much because of the name on it, when everything else is the same or more or less the same from a less fashionable name. Function is important and besides I dislike the look of the straps, I can't imagine they are as easy to deal with as laces.

I consider Allen Edmonds to be the minimum mark at which the leather and construction quality denotes a "quality shoe". Everything under AEs are disposable.

I've thrown away enough pairs of other shoes to know this is true for myself. I've had a pair of AEs I took (alongside a pair of C&J) that formed one of only two pairs of shoes I had during a 7-week long trip to Europe where I walked everywhere, day to day, on the cobblestone streets. Inferior shoes to even the basic AEs wouldn't have stood up to that.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #79 of 113
I consider Allen Edmonds to be the minimum mark at which the leather and construction quality denotes a "quality shoe". Everything under AEs are disposable.

This. Custom, hand-made shoes are one of the best kept secrets in the world. They're an investment, not a consumable. People wear sneakers/trainers because of their comfort, but a properly fitted casual shoe will demolish them, and are better for your feet as well.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #80 of 113
I'm a fan of point leather lace up shoes. I have 2 pairs that I rotate right now, a pair of wingtips with broguing, and a plain, shiny black pair. 

Assuming you are in the US and might not have access to an Aldo, I had my eye on the Florsheim Lexington for a long time, but ended up buying something similar locally instead.

Whatever you purchase, make sure you have a belt that matches as closely as possible.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #81 of 113
I'm actually fascinated with handcrafted products, I buy custom knives, leather goods, and the best part, shoes. I love Frye, Allen Edmonds, and Alden.

Alden Indy 403 and 4 year old Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (on original sole and heel)

The AE's have been through more than any one pair of Nikes I've ever owned. Every time I put them on is just as fitting as it was years ago when I bought them brand new and first inhaled that smell of rich leather. Now they smell of fine waxes and polishes which is just as good :)

Lately I've been fascinated with shoes more to the point where it has transcended my actual headphone hobby.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #82 of 113
The Park Avenue has been my goto dress shoes for over 25 years. They are very durable. Recrafting brings them back to new too for 1/3 the price of another pair.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #83 of 113
The Park Avenue has been my goto dress shoes for over 25 years. They are very durable. Recrafting brings them back to new too for 1/3 the price of another pair.

By the time they let go or show wear, I usually feel comfortable replacing them, keep in mind I'm 24 and on a limited budget, it's just that they've served me so well. The last fits me extremely weird though, it's almost too tight and I went 10E. It must have been the years of non shoe-tree use that I put 'em through. Another great one that actually looks fanfrickingtastic is the Strand in walnut. I stop women in the street wearing those with just levi's and a black t-shirt.

If I wear the Alden Indy's in like shell cordovan I could probably impregnate them on the go.

Headphones are the wrong hobby boys, fine shoes are the way to go :)

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #84 of 113
Quote:
By the time they let go or show wear, I usually feel comfortable replacing them, keep in mind I'm 24 and on a limited budget, it's just that they've served me so well. The last fits me extremely weird though, it's almost too tight and I went 10E. It must have been the years of non shoe-tree use that I put 'em through. Another great one that actually looks fanfrickingtastic is the Strand in walnut. I stop women in the street wearing those with just levi's and a black t-shirt.

If I wear the Alden Indy's in like shell cordovan I could probably impregnate them on the go.

Headphones are the wrong hobby boys, fine shoes are the way to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Sigh...I DO have shoes (and they are AE's) older than you...Man....I have become my Dad....
eek.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #85 of 113
Sigh...I DO have shoes (and they are AE's) older than you...Man....I have become my Dad....
eek.gif

24 with Aldens. Life ain't bad for me lol.

Nah I figure if I look twice as good for three times the money, and I have a shoe that lasts 5x as long, we'll be good to go!

I don't know how shoes hold up for 10 years, but I think 2-3 and I figure they'll pay themselves off.. I look at the Aldens on LeatherSoul.com everyday with the lust that I haven't had for audio ever since my first SR-80's.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #86 of 113
By the way, the Edward Green's the OP got are fantastic.

Don't be so concerned about the price.. $1200-1500 for EG's are fair and what, thats only about 5 times the cost of an Ecco and they will look and feel five times as good so money well spent if you can appreciate that sort of thing. People go into debt for that much buying whatever the latest silly consumer electronic is, or having high maintenance girlfriend/wives :)

EG's are super sleek and as much as I lust after them, they just don't look and feel right on my feet. I'm a 225lb guy, I like boots and I like cheap clothes.. I would never be seen in a pair of EG's at this rate. Monk straps are hype with suit separates though. Not the best formal shoe but if you got swagger, wear em like you stole 'em.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #87 of 113
Now that I am back in the Midwest from the East Coast the AE's are almost more than I need. Still attached to the Rolex though...
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #88 of 113
Now that I am back in the Midwest from the East Coast the AE's are almost more than I need. Still attached to the Rolex though...
biggrin.gif

You should just PM me LOL. We're clogging up the thread at this point, the OP already got what he needed :)

Dude the Alden factory seconds from ShoeMart are like $300 for calf, $400 for shell, you gotta get subscribed.

I like AE's but Aldens are a little sturdier feeling and their quality control is a bit better. That being said some models that AE makes just cannot be replaced in my heart. Del Rey, Park Avenue, Strand, and

If you're wondering why someone my age is into gentleman's shoes, it's because I got a job at Nordstrom real early and being so curious I wondered what else there was out there. The entire time I was there I always was attracted to the utilitarian, yet timeless classiness that the AE shoes offered as well as how sturdy they felt. Also after a certain point you begin to stop noticing how much nicer leather can really get... $500 for a Santoni bologna constructed shoe, vs $330 for a pair of AE's that are Goodyear welted and have factory recrafting available? AE, every time. That being said, again I'm not the most dapper guy out there. I'm very old fashioned. Three button suit and all.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #89 of 113
I have the good fortune of covering Port Washington, WI as part of my territory for work. The factory store of AE is there and is a fun stop when a park ave is showing its age. Once in awhile I can slide by Mall of America and get to Nordstrom's, but generally just to get some more Trafalgers.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #90 of 113
Allen Edmonds has added a rubber soul to some of its best dress shoes....

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Shoes_1_40000000001_-1_______121067_subcategory?roi=echo2-9642720475-2393606-3fcc14d97ed8f5406711fbec5989f998&utm_source=PromotionalEmail&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2013_Winter_Tips&utm_content=HeroVTread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back