Need advice... ATH-AD700's + HFI-780's = ?
Jul 3, 2010 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ickyman

Head-Fier
I own both these phones.

To cut to the chase... The ATH-AD700's, there are 2 things which prevent me from using these phones as my "listening to music" phones. First, the bass on these phones is weak. Second, these phones suffer from dynamic compression... further diminishing their bass. I'm not trying to piss on their performance... I knew their bass was on the weak side before I bought them, I bought these as a phone to use for gaming and they do very well in that application.

As for the HFI-780's... I was perfectly happy with these phones until I bought the AD700's. The sound stage of the AD700's simply made my jaw drop on some recordings. I mostly listen to metal and industrial, but I listen to a variety of other genre's too. I like the aggressiveness of the HFI's (I don't mind the treble at all, if anything it's a bonus). The impact and the low levels this phone downright make me uncomfortable (but in a good way), which is cool.

So, basically I am looking for a blend of the 2... or maybe a better way of looking at it is a HFI-780 with a massive sound stage.

Under $500 would be nice, but feel free to twist my arm on that.

Isolation and comfort are 2 other qualities I wouldn't mind, but I am not considering those 2 attributes unless there they can put em over the top vs other suggestions of even SQ.

Thanks.

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Check out the Beyerdynamic DT880, or the DT990 (different sound with more bass). I'm assuming open cans are okay suggestions, since the AD700 is open.

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 8
Yeah, I know how you feel. I was disappointed in my 780's soundstage when I listened to my brother's AD700s as well. Are you amping the 780s? It helps a bit, but it won't be the same as the AD700s. Maybe look at one of Ultrasone's open headphone offerings?

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 8
I am using a d10 via optical from my comp with FLAC's. I don't have any complaint with the SQ of my source. The volume I can get from the d10 is limited. It sounds plenty clear though. I'm using both these phones with the same source.The differences between the 2 are as dramatic as their looks... they are totally different.

Jul 3, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 8
I would be looking at the DT990 600ohm from your description. It sounds like you want great, deep bass, relatively recessed mids and a good amount of high end, also a fairly large soundstage. So yes, DT990 600ohm or possibly even a Denon D5000.

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 8
DT880 or DT990.  DT880 if you want balanced sound and larger soundstage or DT990 if you want a lot of bass, recessed mids, and sometimes harsh treble but still ok soundstage.

Jul 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 8
You might also look into the D2000.  The soundstage on these is remarkable.  The bass is quite strong.   I don't like these as much for music or say music DVD's.  The mids kind of take a backseat.  Watching a Joe Satriani DVD, his guitar sometimes seems to get lost in the shuffle. 

But, just this morning I watched a movie with my D2000's on, taking a break from my normal movie headphones, and there was a scene where some kids were arguing.  The way my house is situated, the hallway with my kids bedrooms is located behind my couch.  I honestly thought my boys were arguing about something and I took them off and went to see what was up.  They were actaully both sleeping. 

I have never had the pleasure of listening to the D5000 but I would imagine they would be a slight step up from the little brother. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back