Need Adice
Jan 11, 2002 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jebus

New Head-Fier
Hello i am sure that tis has been asked numerous times, but i nned some quick advice please. Right now i am at college and thus iI am on a college budget. My main concern is comfort and quality. I don't really know that much about headphones but I still would like to get nice ones. My range at the top is $100 but somewhere around 50-70 would be nice.
Anyway, any advice would be appriciated.

thsnkz

Jan 11, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm not an expert, but I'm a university student who has been looking for headphones and I've tried some of the lower end models, surprisingly the low end koss all sound really good but I couldn't get them to stay comfortably. What kind of headphones are you looking for and what style of music do you listen to?

Jan 11, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 19
Cheap, easily driven (since you don't have money for a headphone amp, portable and comfortable...

that would be the Sony V6/7506, $56 at CDW - search shopping.yahoo.com.

Kelly

Jan 11, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 19
I'm on a college budget also, and I settled on the Philips HP890's -- but that's at the high end of your budget, and would only be good if you like open phones (ie don't care about leakage)

They seemed to fit the bill for comfort and quality without an amp.

Jan 11, 2002 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 19
Hi, I am also a college student but am willing to pay a bit more for a good pair of headphones if the gain is really worth it. I have been looking through the Meier-Audio website and the Sennnheiser HD600s look like a good deal at $220. I am currently using Denon AH-D210s (had them for quite a while now, they are not in very good shape) driven by the headphone jack of a Denon AVR-1801 receiver. How much quality increase can be expected with the HD600s using my existing amp setup?

One more question ... has anyone tried the Ultrasone HFI-2000 or HFI-600. I saw them on Meier-Audio and they look quite interesting.

Tes

Jan 11, 2002 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 19
I'm not sure about your Denon receiver's headphone output explicitly, but you should be warned that the HD600s are very demanding and that they're not really up to par with most headphone jacks. You really should look into some kind of amp if you like the 600s.

Kelly

Jan 11, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 19
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD497s that were shipped to me as a replacement for some bad 495s I had purchased. They should meet your needs; they are $60, comfortable, and the sound quality is incredible. I had a pair of Sony MDR7506 (same as V6 mentioned in earlier posts), but they cost more, are less comfortable (ear sweat), and the Sennheisers sound better. Check out www.sennheiserusa.com for more info. Another big benefit of the HD497 - they work great with portables, the HD495s I returned to Sennheiser simply did not.

Jan 12, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 19
Tes: Here's the problem. If you want to spend over $100 on a pair of headphones, you had better be prepared to spend a decent amount on an amp to drive them. I would imagine that if you have $300 to spend, you should budget a couple hundred for an amp.

However, I would really like to hear what others have to say about this. It really depends on the headphones, as I found when I started researching.

Jan 12, 2002 at 2:43 AM Post #15 of 19
There are many great headphones that don't need a great amp. True, anything will benefit with it, but many don't need it.

For closed, I suggest Sony MDR-V6 with the Beyerdynamic pads (read about this on the forums).

For open, Sennheiser HD497 should be great....cept they are ugly and have bad build quality.

For open exercising, the Koss KSC-35's should be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back