Need a solid entry-level amp on a budget...
Mar 20, 2010 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TheCount666

New Head-Fier
So I joined the forum (after stalking it for a few weeks) meaning to ask this question, kept starting the post and deleting it cause I'm sure it's been asked a bunch and I wanted to read as much as I could first.

Well it's been a few weeks now and I'm not still a little stumped as far as amps go.

So here are the details:

I listen to almost everything, depending on my mood. Mostly I listen to Alt Rock, Hip Hop, R&B, Indie Rock, Soul and some electronic music.

My budget is around $200 (willing to go up to $300 if it makes that big a difference) and I don't necessarily plan on acquiring a DAC, if I can avoid it, I can't really justify another $200 - $300 right now.

If you guys say the DAC is more important, then I'm certainly willing to listen.

Thanks for the advice.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do need a DAC. No point in amplifying a bad signal.

Definitely amp before DAC, in my opinion. An amp of any kind makes a huge difference even with an iPod´s headphone out as source. No, I haven´t heard music through a high-end DAC (currently listening with the setup mentioned in my sig) but I´m rather suspicious about the difference it will actually make. Probably bit more defined sound, but it obviously wouldn´t make up for the lack of proper power to the phones.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely amp before DAC, in my opinion. An amp of any kind makes a huge difference even with an iPod´s headphone out as source. No, I haven´t heard music through a high-end DAC (currently listening with the setup mentioned in my sig) but I´m rather suspicious about the difference it will actually make. Probably bit more defined sound, but it obviously wouldn´t make up for the lack of proper power to the phones.

He has pretty sensitive cans, a combo unit will do just fine.

(Edit: forgot the V8P was a combo :p )

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 22
i completely disagree with the TheOtus. if you're listening to your denon d2000s straight out of your imac, then you'll notice a significant improvement if you use a dac. even more with both dac and amp.

i think your listening would profit from a dac/amp combo.
since the denons are reasonably easy to power, a portable combo unit will work fine for you. buy a nice one and you should be happy with it for some time - heck, you might buck the head-fi trend and never feel the need to upgrade at all.
wink.gif

here's a place to start:
ibasso D4 mamba
nuforce udac
headroom total bithead

those are in your budget.

here are the "best in show" that are a little above your budget:
ray samules audio "predator"
headamp pico

i have the ibasso d4 ($219), and it even powers my 250 ohm DT880s pretty well. i can make it clip if i turn it up super loud, but it's far too loud to listen to at that level...

as far as the sonic improvements you will note with a good dac? better stereo imaging, better instrument separation, more clarity.

after getting used to the sound of the dac, i listened without for a day or two and found the music harsh, edgy, and fatiguing.

just being honest.
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 22
If you just need an amp. The Chinese Matrix M-stage looks like a great bargain at USD250 from Ebay. It is supposed to be a Lehmann Cube Linear clone, which is a well regarded amp that cost close to USD1000.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i completely disagree with the TheOtus. if you're listening to your denon d2000s straight out of your imac, then you'll notice a significant improvement if you use a dac. even more with both dac and amp.

i think your listening would profit from a dac/amp combo.
since the denons are reasonably easy to power, a portable combo unit will work fine for you. buy a nice one and you should be happy with it for some time - heck, you might buck the head-fi trend and never feel the need to upgrade at all.
wink.gif

here's a place to start:
ibasso D4 mamba
nuforce udac
headroom total bithead

those are in your budget.

here are the "best in show" that are a little above your budget:
ray samules audio "predator"
headamp pico

i have the ibasso d4 ($219), and it even powers my 250 ohm DT880s pretty well. i can make it clip if i turn it up super loud, but it's far too loud to listen to at that level...

as far as the sonic improvements you will note with a good dac? better stereo imaging, better instrument separation, more clarity.

after getting used to the sound of the dac, i listened without for a day or two and found the music harsh, edgy, and fatiguing.

just being honest.
icon10.gif

Why only portables?

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmagus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try this one:
Meier Audio

In budget.

Pairing a warm amp with some Denons is a bad idea IMO. It also prices himself out of a DAC.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Why only portables?

well. his budget is fairly limited and his cans are fairly easy to drive.
so that seemed to be a good path.

if you can find a decent desktop dac/amp in his budget, then by all means show the way.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

well. his budget is fairly limited and his cans are fairly easy to drive.
so that seemed to be a good path.

if you can find a decent desktop dac/amp in his budget, then by all means show the way.
biggrin.gif

"hifiman EF2A. Travagan's green. Yulong's combo. Aune. Zero... "

tongue_smile.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

"hifiman EF2A. Travagan's green. Yulong's combo. Aune. Zero... "

tongue_smile.gif

i guess i just got owned.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 22
Thanks for all the quick responses guys, scouring the web as we speak looking up details on your recomendation.

If it makes any difference, I'm considering returning the D2000's... I haven't been overly impressed with them but am starting to think maybe an amp would change that... wrong assumption?

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCount666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm considering returning the D2000's... I haven't been overly impressed with them but am starting to think maybe an amp would change that... wrong assumption?

well... before anyone can correct you on your assumption, its probably best if we knew a few things...
how long have you had the denons? what kind of headphones were you using before? are the denons nice and burned in? what is it you don't like about them so far?

headphones don't become something entirely different with amping. if you find the denons, for example, have too much bass, then you'll probably never be happy with them.

if the headphones are pretty new, then give them a little more time...
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

well... before anyone can correct you on your assumption, its probably best if we knew a few things...
how long have you had the denons? what kind of headphones were you using before? are the denons nice and burned in? what is it you don't like about them so far?

headphones don't become something entirely different with amping. if you find the denons, for example, have too much bass, then you'll probably never be happy with them.

if the headphones are pretty new, then give them a little more time...
wink.gif

Consider your advice taken. I'm giving them some more break in time, I have till April 10th or so to make my final decision anyway.

I'd say what I didn't like about them is hard to quantify, they just didn't wow me and I was expecting wow with all the great reviews. I haven't listened to anything too stellar before hand, so maybe I need to retrain my ears.

My favorite pair of headphones previously were Bose Triports, which I got at almost half price because of where I worked. I'd still have those if my fiance hadn't accidentally broken them, as I actually did like them. I didn't feel the need to rush out and buy another pair though, so I'm taking the time to get educated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back