Apr 19, 2004 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

saint.panda

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
Short and simple
smily_headphones1.gif
:

I am looking for a Mp3 Player that meets the following characteristics:
-good sound quality (needs to beat a slimx 350 in sound)
-rather small if possible (something like a stick)
-no need for big diskspace (something like 128 / 256mb / 512mb)
-I will probably use it with mp3s only
-should have the function that I can change the sound balance ( because my right ear is weaker than my left)
-cheap if possible....
-power output doesn't really matter as I will be using it with a Senn Hd25-1 which has a very high sensitivity

Well, I'm want to get rid of my Iriver (just can't stand the sound quality anymore). I will be using a vintage pcdp for redbook and therefore need a little mp3 player for occasional mp3 use. However, if you tell me that a mp3 stick can't beat the Slimx350 for sound quality then I'll just keep the slimx. Maybe this helps: I will listen to mostly pop out of the mp3 player (cause I just don't feel like buying pop cds
biggrin.gif
) and some bass related stuff such as hip hop. I've been looking at some of the iriver ifp, are they any good?
Your help would be very appreciated. Thanks

And sorry if this kind of question has been asked a zillions times but I just couldn't find anything without the search function as most threads are on big and expensive daps.

Apr 20, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 17
Yup, I think the iriver flash players are the only way to go. I have the ifp-395T and am very happy with it. It has very good sound quality and it can be eq'd a little if you want some more bass punch or high extension. It also plays ogg (sort-of). The battery life is very good (20+ hours) on only one AA battery. I really recommend it!
biggrin.gif

dj_digital

Apr 20, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 17
Is the sound quality of the ifp 3xx series much better than the ifp 1xx series?
Has anyone compared the sound quality of the slimx to the iriver ifps?

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 17
I like the sound of my iFP-395T quite a bit -- as well as its graphic 5-band EQ. BTW you can also adjust the channel balance. Another good thing: the swappable battery. It also runs with 1.2-volt rechargeables.

peacesign.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like the Iriver IFP 3xx series is pretty good. Any idea whether they would sound better than a slimx (headphone out), meaning would it be worth selling my slimx350 and getting a IFP instead. I don't need the redbook capability of the slimx.

Apr 20, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 17
i have both ifp 395 and nomad muvo2 with 256 mb cf...will be 1 gb this week
smily_headphones1.gif
.(of course! gut out from ebay.)
i like muvo2 sound more than ifp 395. anyhow, boths give u a nice sound and clear detail.
i would say if size and fm radio do matter with u....go with ifp 395..but muvo2 will give u more good deal.
lambda.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kvirat
i have both ifp 395 and nomad muvo2 with 256 mb cf...will be 1 gb this week
smily_headphones1.gif
.(of course! gut out from ebay.)
i like muvo2 sound more than ifp 395. anyhow, boths give u a nice sound and clear detail.
i would say if size and fm radio do matter with u....go with ifp 395..but muvo2 will give u more good deal.
lambda.gif

Kvirat, I just got my gutted Muvo 2 a couple of weeks ago and the 1GB Sandisk CF I bought arrived yesterday. I got the CF for $157 plus a $30 mail-in rebate. Which CF card are you going with? I've been reading that some brands don't work but SanDisk is the most compatible.

I will do the installation later this week. Which firmware verison are you using? I will probably use version 1.11.01 (the latest one) since I heard it works okay.

Let me know how your installation turns out.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 17
hi GStom1

i used firmware 1-11-01. it does work for both 256 and 512 sandisk. i tried both before. but 512 is not mine...so i got to give my friend back...lol.. anyway, i don't think muvo2 will be picky with cf.
etysmile.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 17
iRiver rules - we have a 380 and a 180 in our house. the 180 was on sale for $70 and is equivalent to a 380 IMHO (the few feature differences are immaterial). Compared to Nuvo and everything else in this category, iRiver's GUI is far superior. and IRiver upgrades (enhances) the SW all the time.

Also - when mine broke they replaced it in under a week!

I hate seeing IPod become a synonym for MP3 player, because

IRiver Rules!

Apr 21, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #13 of 17
lol....what is that? iriver rule!! anyhow, i do appreciate with iriver customer a lot. their customer sevice is so good. i loss my neck strap of iriver ifp395 and can't find any in store/online. they just sent me a new one....
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #14 of 17
i have this one for working out.

i bought it brand new on ebay for around 100 US. the only downside to it, is you can't browse the songs, you can only cycle thru them. But it does have an eq, and sounds really good with my PX-200's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back