Need a recommendation for longer listening sessions
Oct 13, 2014 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

roflcopter159

100+ Head-Fier
So, I have the LCD 2 and while I love them, for longer listening sessions or for watching movies, they can become a bit too heavy around the 1.5-2 hour mark. I would like a recommendation for something with a very similar sound signature (but lighter) in the $500 and under category.

It can be open or closed, it doesn't matter too much to me. Comfort is a very large deciding factor for this headphone since it will be used for upwards of 2 hours at a time.

I will be using it out of my Aune T1 for now, but I do plan on getting a Lyr 2 for my Audeze so these would be able to be used on that as well.

I would prefer something new, but if I can get considerable performance gains at a similar price used, I wouldn't be opposed to a well taken care of used headphone.

At the moment, the HD600 and HD650 are on the top of my list to check out, but I would like to widen the search a little bit in case I missed something that would be an obvious/better choice.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 8
HD650 is what I'd go for personally. Great comfort, and a warm, dark sound. It's different from the LCD-2's, but even more seductive at times despite being technically inferior. The HP50 would be a good closed option, but I hear it's clampy for long sessions. I didn't really feel it that much when I auditioned it - I think it's a head size issue. The HP50 follows the Harman target headphone FR curves, just like Audeze engineers use as a guide.

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 8
If you already like the sound signature, the Oppo planars (PM-1 and PM-2) are very similar in sound signature but much lighter.

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 8
I love my HD600. I couldn't tell much difference between it and the HD650, but both sound great. They are very light, the stock pads are comfortable, and I have a larger head, yet they still fit me nicely.

I've been using my Magni lately since it generates a lot less heat than my Valhalla. I'm usually doing a mix of games, music, and Netflix. I fire up the Valhalla for straight-up listening sessions. Both are good, but the Valhalla definitely sounds better (at least to me).

Now I don't have experince with the Aune T1, so I don't know how it pairs with the 600/650. However, if you like how it sounds with the LCD-2, I agree that you will probably like another planar model, which should still pair well. The Oppos Currawong suggested should sound good, and the HE-400i is supposed to sound better than the HE-400 while being much lighter.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 8
  HD650 is what I'd go for personally. Great comfort, and a warm, dark sound. It's different from the LCD-2's, but even more seductive at times despite being technically inferior. The HP50 would be a good closed option, but I hear it's clampy for long sessions. I didn't really feel it that much when I auditioned it - I think it's a head size issue. The HP50 follows the Harman target headphone FR curves, just like Audeze engineers use as a guide.

Not sure if I would like the HP50 if it can be considered clampy. After having the LCD 2, I no longer like wearing my M50. They are just too uncomfortable now.

If you already like the sound signature, the Oppo planars (PM-1 and PM-2) are very similar in sound signature but much lighter.

I have tried the PM-1 and PM-2 (at a meet) and I definitely did like them quite a bit. However, unless I found a very good deal on a used pair, they are both pretty well outside my price range for this pair of headphones. I did see the PM-3/HA-2 thread thouugh and the PM-3 seems promising and they are mentioning it being cheaper than the PM-2, so that is definitely something I'll be keeping my eye on.

I love my HD600. I couldn't tell much difference between it and the HD650, but both sound great. They are very light, the stock pads are comfortable, and I have a larger head, yet they still fit me nicely.

I've been using my Magni lately since it generates a lot less heat than my Valhalla. I'm usually doing a mix of games, music, and Netflix. I fire up the Valhalla for straight-up listening sessions. Both are good, but the Valhalla definitely sounds better (at least to me).

Now I don't have experince with the Aune T1, so I don't know how it pairs with the 600/650. However, if you like how it sounds with the LCD-2, I agree that you will probably like another planar model, which should still pair well. The Oppos Currawong suggested should sound good, and the HE-400i is supposed to sound better than the HE-400 while being much lighter.

I have tried the HE-400i (at a meet) and it was my original choice before I came into some extra cash and got the LCD 2 instead. If I'm being perfectly honest, I hadn't even considered them (I forgot) for this next headphone. I think that these may have just made their way to the top of my list, so thank you for bringing them back into my focus!

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 8
Sorry to revive an older thread but I was searching about the Aune T1 and came across this thread.  I am currently listening to my Sennheiser HD650s through an Aune T1 MK2, I am not sure if you have the original or the same as me but it sounds very good.  I listen to a wide array of music and haven't found anything yet that doesn't work well with the setup.  The one caveat I would say is I have only had this setup for a short time but it works well.  I am currently running Apple Lossless through Amarra to the Aune T1 MK2 and then to my Sennheiser HD650s if you have any other questions.

How do the Audeze LCD2s sound with the Aune?  And are yours the fazor ones or not?  I am considering them as my next headphone so always interested in hearing more opinions, though if I keep upgrading at the speed I have been, I am not sure I will still have the Aune by that point hah

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 8
  Sorry to revive an older thread but I was searching about the Aune T1 and came across this thread.  I am currently listening to my Sennheiser HD650s through an Aune T1 MK2, I am not sure if you have the original or the same as me but it sounds very good.  I listen to a wide array of music and haven't found anything yet that doesn't work well with the setup.  The one caveat I would say is I have only had this setup for a short time but it works well.  I am currently running Apple Lossless through Amarra to the Aune T1 MK2 and then to my Sennheiser HD650s if you have any other questions.

How do the Audeze LCD2s sound with the Aune?  And are yours the fazor ones or not?  I am considering them as my next headphone so always interested in hearing more opinions, though if I keep upgrading at the speed I have been, I am not sure I will still have the Aune by that point hah

I actually ended up with a pair of Mad Dogs, which I really love.

Also, I have the original version of the T1 and (I believe) the fazor LCD 2. I think the LCD 2s sound good enough on the T1. It can definitely drive them, though they don't sound nearly as amazing on the Aune as I know they can. My personal favorite amp with these was a modified Bottlehead S.E.X. 2.1 I heard at a recent meet. I can't remember all of the modifications to it, though I do know that the owner had the C4S upgrade installed as well.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Ah nice people seem to like those a lot, I have tried my friends set and I wasn't a huge fan but can see how others like them.  I guess that is why there are so many options available.

That was my worry with the T1 I like the way it sounds but I always worried it might not be enough long term but I guess that gives me a reason to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back