Need a recommendation for a SS amp for HD650s
Mar 11, 2012 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HFCOBRA

Head-Fier
I know this has been asked a ton, but there are almost no threads asking this question in the last year!

So I figured that in order to have an updated answer I would need to post a new one.

I have a Xonar Essence STX sound card and from what I understand the DAC on the card is good (at least for my budget of ~200 for a DAC) so I am just getting an amp for the 650s (I am sure about this so please no DAC recommendations, save yourself some time and effort  
smile.gif
).

I would really like to stick with SS amps since they generally offer better performance on a budget and generally have less distortion, so no tube or hybrid amps please!  Plus, that is one money-hole I do not need right now.   
tongue.gif

I can spend up to 500, but I would really prefer to spend 300-400 (or less if there is a really great amp for less).

Thank you for your patience and help as I know I have been asking a lot of questions over the last few days.  
smile.gif

TL;DR: Need a great SS amp for Senn HD650 for around 300-400, but will go up to maybe 500 if it is REALLY worth it in how the amp will sound (no offense but I doubt it at that price).

Not afraid of buying used if it will net me a great SS amp at a great deal!   
biggrin.gif
   Don't worry I can stalk the for sale threads for months.   
cool.gif

Was thinking about getting the HeadRoom Micro amp, but looking for more suggestions of course since I really am only thinking about it since I like how it looks.  
redface.gif

EDIT: Also, just going to ask this here as well.  What output from my STX would give the best quality signal for the amp?  It has the coaxial, 1/4" plug, and the RCA output.  The RCA and Headphone 1/4" are shielded, the coaxial is not.

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 13
Schiit Asgard!

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 13

All second hand and probably from desperate sellers but if any of these popped up - you'd be a happy camper.

SPL Auditor

Violectric V100

Burson 160 (likely at this price perhaps)

Audio GD C-2.2 (must be ordered directly from China but can be had new for $365USD + shipping)

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 13
if i have to choose between the asgard and the burson, i would go for the asgard..
to pair with the hd650. I like the bite of this amp on the dark sounding can.

popcorn.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 13
Do you want a new amp or do you want something that can drive HD 650 well "on a budget" and with "less distortion" and so on?

The quality of both D/A and amplification in sound cards is going to depend on the other components in the computer:  so how dirty the power is, how much EMI we're talking about, and so on.  But in general the best value would be to use the STX internal amp.  I'm not going to make a judgement on quality, but pretty much every Schiit amp and every Audio-GD amp (unless I'm unaware of some particular example) will probably have higher distortion in the traditional sense.  Same may be true for a lot of audiophile products.  Especially into higher-impedance headphones, a decent-enough TPA6120 implementation like the ST/STX has should be well suited if you want low distortion at a relatively low price.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/asus-xonar-essence-ststx-soundcards-measurements

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Schiit Asgard!

How can I set the impedance on that amp?

Quote:

All second hand and probably from desperate sellers but if any of these popped up - you'd be a happy camper.

SPL Auditor

Violectric V100

Burson 160 (likely at this price perhaps)

Audio GD C-2.2 (must be ordered directly from China but can be had new for $365USD + shipping)

The Audio GC C-2.2 looks very nice.  How does it color the sound for the 650s?  Does it make the highs very good and does not make the bass too powerful?  Although I do not know if that is viable since I cannot find where to actually purchase it.   
tongue.gif

I am still wondering a little about how the HeadRoom Micro amp stacks up as it does look very nice.   
smile.gif
  Performance is top priority of course, but I just want to know.

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Do you want a new amp or do you want something that can drive HD 650 well "on a budget" and with "less distortion" and so on?

The quality of both D/A and amplification in sound cards is going to depend on the other components in the computer:  so how dirty the power is, how much EMI we're talking about, and so on.  But in general the best value would be to use the STX internal amp.  I'm not going to make a judgement on quality, but pretty much every Schiit amp and every Audio-GD amp (unless I'm unaware of some particular example) will probably have higher distortion in the traditional sense.  Same may be true for a lot of audiophile products.  Especially into higher-impedance headphones, a decent-enough TPA6120 implementation like the ST/STX has should be well suited if you want low distortion at a relatively low price.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/asus-xonar-essence-ststx-soundcards-measurements

I read that many people get better results from their ST/X when they use an external amp.  So that is what I am looking at getting.  I do not mind buying a used one since that would mean that I could get a better quality one or save some money on one that is already in budget.

EDIT:  Also, if it is possible to have such an effect with an amp, I would like an amp that lightens the dark 650s a little since I like a decent amount of techno music and DnB.  I want to keep the bass that the 650s are famous for, but I want to make the highs a little better.  Not sure if that can happen with an amp or not, but if it can I would prefer it.   Thanks again!

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
What output from my STX would give the best quality signal for the amp?  It has the coaxial, 1/4" plug, and the RCA output.  The RCA and Headphone 1/4" are shielded, the coaxial is not.

Use RCA output.  Coaxial is the SPDIF connection for a DAC.  1/4" output is the headphone amplifier on your sound card.  No need to amplify a signal that's already amplified.

Try your HD650 with the Xonar Essence STX first before buying a dedicated headphone amplifer.  Can save money if you're happy with the sound.  FWIW, I bought a CK2III(Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III) all-discrete amp built by a DIY builder, another Head-Fi'er named MisterX, back in 2008.  Still running fine and been 4 years worth of great listening with my HD650. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:

Use RCA output.  Coaxial is the SPDIF connection for a DAC.  1/4" output is the headphone amplifier on your sound card.  No need to amplify a signal that's already amplified.

Try your HD650 with the Xonar Essence STX first before buying a dedicated headphone amplifer.  Can save money if you're happy with the sound.  FWIW, I bought a CK2III(Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III) all-discrete amp built by a DIY builder, another Head-Fi'er named MisterX, back in 2008.  Still running fine and been 4 years worth of great listening with my HD650. 
smily_headphones1.gif

After just buying the HD650 I do not have money for an amp at the moment so I am going to use the STX amp for a couple months before I buy the amp.  Just looking for suggestions so that I can be ready when/if I decide to get an amp.  
smile.gif

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 13
If by setting impedance, you mean the "gain", then no, you can't set the gain the Asgard, the default gain is 14 db, which should be powerful enough for almost all of the headphones out there.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
How can I set the impedance on that amp?

The Audio GC C-2.2 looks very nice.  How does it color the sound for the 650s?  Does it make the highs very good and does not make the bass too powerful?  Although I do not know if that is viable since I cannot find where to actually purchase it.   
tongue.gif

I am still wondering a little about how the HeadRoom Micro amp stacks up as it does look very nice.   
smile.gif
  Performance is top priority of course, but I just want to know.

All of Kingwa's (Mr Audio-gd grand poobah) amps and DAC's for that matter have a very neutral flavor - the man does not believe in any warm coloration.

Most of the treble area is pretty detailed on Audio-gd gear I find, coupled with a tizzy headphone like the K701 - it could even be considered 'bright' but
 the HD650 would balance out quite nicely. Bass is already plentiful on the HD650 - you don't need further coloration in that sense, something like a
 Schiit Lyr would give you that. That amp is also within your financial grasp.

Audio-gd has to be ordered from their website - there are no dealers in America, only France, UK, Thailand, Holland and very soon - Australia.

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
If by setting impedance, you mean the "gain", then no, you can't set the gain the Asgard, the default gain is 14 db, which should be powerful enough for almost all of the headphones out there.

Thank you!

Quote:

All of Kingwa's (Mr Audio-gd grand poobah) amps and DAC's for that matter have a very neutral flavor - the man does not believe in any warm coloration.

Most of the treble area is pretty detailed on Audio-gd gear I find, coupled with a tizzy headphone like the K701 - it could even be considered 'bright' but
 the HD650 would balance out quite nicely. Bass is already plentiful on the HD650 - you don't need further coloration in that sense, something like a
 Schiit Lyr would give you that. That amp is also within your financial grasp.

Audio-gd has to be ordered from their website - there are no dealers in America, only France, UK, Thailand, Holland and very soon - Australia.

Ok, thank you as well.  I am looking for a good neutral sound as well.  The Lyr is more than I would like to spend though.  I want to keep the bass the way the headphones have it and I want very nice highs/treble.

Unless more people make more recommendations I think that it will be between the Schiit Asgard and the Audio GC C-2.2.  Thinking that I may go for the Asgard if the need arises though since many people agree that it is a great amp (plus it looks damn good!).

Still open for more recommendations though!  I have a long time before I plan to purchase an amp anyways.   
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back