Need a recommendation for a good pc game
May 6, 2006 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I used to play quake(world) and after that quake3 some years ago. I was a quite good player and I would like to start playing again.

It doesnt have to be a fps, almost any genre is fine with me. I would like to play online from time to time, but dont have time to play on a daily basis...

Thanks,
Andre

May 6, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 26
Quake 4
tongue.gif

May 6, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 26
Guild Wars: Fractions would be a good choice as well. It would not have a monthly fee.

May 6, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 26
Why dont you start quakeworld again? Huge community in europe, more active than any fps except counterstrike, and free. fuhquake.net for a client, http://quakeworld.nu/forum/index.php is a good forum for configs etc. challenge-tv.com is a good place for demos. Def used to have an excellent package up with configs etc (you could google def's quakeworld latest and see if theres a mirror of it), but apparently he has taken it down... I think a new one will be coming soon? PM me if you have any questions, although I wont ever be playing with you since I'm in NA
wink.gif

jesse

May 6, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 26
Hlaf-Life 2
Counter Strike: Source
Day of Defeat: Source
Call of Duty 2

May 6, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 26
I personally think CS 1.6 is a more enjoyable game than CS:S, especially if you play competitively.

But if you like realism with your games, CS:S would be be better.

May 6, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
Why dont you start quakeworld again? Huge community in europe, more active than any fps except counterstrike, and free. fuhquake.net for a client, http://quakeworld.nu/forum/index.php is a good forum for configs etc. challenge-tv.com is a good place for demos. Def used to have an excellent package up with configs etc (you could google def's quakeworld latest and see if theres a mirror of it), but apparently he has taken it down... I think a new one will be coming soon? PM me if you have any questions, although I wont ever be playing with you since I'm in NA
wink.gif

jesse

I am not going to start playing qw again. I played fuhquake a while ago, but if you dont play on a daily basis then you dont really have a lot of fun playing qw. you basically need to know where to start with the bunnyhopping to make certain jumps and all that stuff. If you dont, it is quite frustrating
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 26
Nevermind new games, get onto Ebay and get a copy of Deus Ex for about a quid. Therein you have the greatest enjoyment and fun per penny per hour of playtime that has ever been availible in history.

It might look kinda old graphically, but by all the gods of gaming, theres never been another game that has the effect of dropping you completely into the immersive lead role in the single greatest science fiction action thriller stealth conspiracy plot ever.

When I first played through Deus Ex, I was using a £4.99 pair of headphones (my first ever circumnaural pair incidently) and after a while, when I was out, I started to turn around at random, and glance over my shoulder. Why? I was hearing the noise that the security cameras made in real life. Residual Aural Imaging Syndrome I named it.

May 7, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #12 of 26
The Half-Life 2 Source Premier Pack is a good value for all the games you get, plus you can download more free mods from the mod community, like Firearms.

For multiplayer, there are quite a few good games out there, and you don't have to get into MMORPG territory either (since those games can be really addictive). Battlefield 2 is a great game.

May 7, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 26
smuh: I'd still recommend BF1942 as best fun shooter out there. The two expansion packs are pretty nice, too (especially the Secret Weapons pack), so I'd recommend you to get the recent WWII Anthology edition (~ 20 Euro).

And if you'd like to play a combo of a role playing game and a kind of medieval ego-shooter with a nice storyline, lots of player freedom and a good bit of humour, I'd definitely recommend the Gothic series. Both the original game (now down to ~ 5 Euro) and part II (~ 10 Euro alone, ~ 15 Euro including the add-on; all three together (Collector's Edition): ~ 25 Euro) were nice. Beware that the add-on ("Die Nacht des Raben") is embedded in part II, though - so it's wise to play part II with the add-on right away, if you don't want to play the main part twice... However, there's no multi-player support in Gothic yet - but they seem to be planning something for part III, which should be out this Fall (hopefully - it's somewhat delayed already...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 7, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Nevermind new games, get onto Ebay and get a copy of Deus Ex for about a quid. Therein you have the greatest enjoyment and fun per penny per hour of playtime that has ever been availible in history.

It might look kinda old graphically, but by all the gods of gaming, theres never been another game that has the effect of dropping you completely into the immersive lead role in the single greatest science fiction action thriller stealth conspiracy plot ever.

When I first played through Deus Ex, I was using a £4.99 pair of headphones (my first ever circumnaural pair incidently) and after a while, when I was out, I started to turn around at random, and glance over my shoulder. Why? I was hearing the noise that the security cameras made in real life. Residual Aural Imaging Syndrome I named it.

yes yes yes yes yes YES

May 7, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 26
yeah HL2 is pretty freakin awesome. Make sure you have some decent graphics power to run it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back