Need a recommendation for a DVD player
Feb 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

katzer1

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My wife and I started to listen to DVD concerts lately.
We actually sold one tv set and were going to sell the other one (we don't watch TV/Cable and prefer our daughter would grow up without it). But that stuff is good, and we actually going to move the TV back to the living room.

My source now is a Mac laptop which is ok but I am thinking of either a DVD player or a small pc where I can just keep all the media on disk.

I don't plan on using the RCA out on the DVD, just the digital output to my DAC. I used to own a Sony DVD player a few years back and a Samsung 800somthing. Even though it was on optical out, I thought the Sony added something to the sound (brighter I'd say) and I did compare them side by side.

I need a recommendation for a good DVD that would fit in with critical listening, no signature (if applicable), no mechanical noise.
We are going to listen to it with our powered speakers as well as amped headphones.

Your input is greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Erez

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 15
Where in the world can I get one?

(links?!)

Feb 8, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 15
I can't recommend a specific model, but based on your listening, I'd recommend getting a player that reads the DVD-A and SACD formats, too. I use SACD regularly and love it. When I get around to buying a HDTV, I plan to buy a player that includes DVD-A.

Feb 9, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 15
what about the oppo 980?

It doesn't have the feature of the 983H but it seems nice.

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 15
I am very happy with the picture quality of my 980H for DVDs.

I do use the analog outs for L,R and center and found them superior to the optical into a Panasonic XR55 receiver. I just use it for DVDs though - no CDs or other formats, so YMMV. DAC in the 980 does have a pretty good reputation with the Home Theater folks.

You have a PM.

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't recommend a specific model, but based on your listening, I'd recommend getting a player that reads the DVD-A and SACD formats, too. I use SACD regularly and love it. When I get around to buying a HDTV, I plan to buy a player that includes DVD-A.

Uncle Erik and I will always agree with SACD format. Usually beats me on posting first!!

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 15
the Oppo 980H is excellent, i'd only recomend the 983 if you want the very best DVD upscaling money can buy, because that's what your paying for with the 983. I think the 980 can do everything the 983 does, minus the super high end picture quality, that said the 980H is still an excellent DVD player, better then just about any big name brand dvd player (for picture quality) as well as being extremely fast, almost instant responce, quick disc loading, Divx, SACD, DVD-A, CDA, MP3.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 15
cant speak for the more modern models, but I have been nothing but happy with my Oppo 970HD. absolutely brilliant sound, and the upconversion is stunning given the pricepoint. SACD playback is, of course, a fantastic perk.

the disc tray is VERY flimsy, however I think modern models have fixed that issue

obviously it has nothing on, say, a Denon 3930cl :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back