Need a portable amp for AKG 701
Jun 15, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 13
The K701/K702 is one of the hardest headphones to drive. They have low sensitivity and need a lot of clean power to drive them to their full potential. Portable amps really do not have the ability to do this, but there are many portable amps that will make them loud. You probably won't find any in that price range, perhaps a DIY from someone in the FS forum. Whichever portable amp you get, make sure it is permanently set to high gain or has a gain switch with a setting of high.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701/K702 is one of the hardest headphones to drive. They have low sensitivity and need a lot of clean power to drive them to their full potential. Portable amps really do not have the ability to do this, but there are many portable amps that will make them loud. You probably won't find any in that price range, perhaps a DIY from someone in the FS forum. Whichever portable amp you get, make sure it is permanently set to high gain or has a gain switch with a setting of high.

IPodPJ, I would like to see a sticky along the lines of your post - this seems to be a question that comes up again and again on Head-Fi.

OP, I would really think long and hard about the outcome you want from the 701s. There is a difference between being 'able to drive' Headphone XYZ, and actually enjoying the result. I did read one portable amp recommendation, but the sheer cost of that unit makes it difficult to recommend - my tip is to invest in something for your home rig and use an easier-to-drive pair of phones on the road/in the office.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 13
Yeah, the loudness isn't a problem with the portable amps, and depending on the amp, you may even be able to get it to be warmer than you would with a fullsize amp (for example, my T4 on high gain/bass boost actually sounds quite warm and nice with the K701 for a while. And my Total Bithead DAC is actually warmer than my DAC Straight -> EF1 setup).

However, you'll most likely lose out with the detail retrieval, instrument separation, and soundstage. My EF1 with the Mullard Tube brings out pretty much every single detail in the music, as opposed to K701 being amped by my T.Bithead or T4 only being warm, loud and not much else. In the long run, you'll probably want to listen to K701 the way it is meant to be heard (listening to all the details and enjoying the immense soundstage), and that means portable amp will most likely not enough.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 13
Unless you are really attached to your k701, you'd be much better off hunting down some other portable option - chances are if you have a quiet enough place to enjoy the k701 you can just have a desktop amp there (like an office).

If you are actually mobile, trying to use an open headphone like the k701 will just result in you damaging your ears.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 13
I'd recommend more Vsupply - at least a 9V battery, split supply with a high current rail-to-rail output op amp

the Mini3 project amp should be pretty good for a portable at meeting the K701 current and voltage demand
The Mini³ Portable Stereo Headphone Amplifier

or similar commercial 9V battery supply amps with op amps capable of >50mA output current

I would still consider this a compromise solution I'd like to see 10x that power in a desktop amp for the K701

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks, guys. It seems you've convinced me not to go with portable amps...

Really though, thinking more about it, I don't think I'll really want to even take out my 701's out in public. I treasure it too much.

However, my budget remains the same. Something up to $100. A desktop amp can work for me now too, I guess.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 13
I went to my cafe in K701 before, great to pick up chicks.
wink.gif

Not much at the $100 level that will drive K701 though. If you're open to building one yourself, you might open a few options.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IPodPJ, I would like to see a sticky along the lines of your post - this seems to be a question that comes up again and again on Head-Fi.

Check boomana's sticky on the headphone forum.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went to my cafe in K701 before, great to pick up chicks.
wink.gif

Not much at the $100 level that will drive K701 though. If you're open to building one yourself, you might open a few options.

Do you think your PPAS drives the K701 decently? I think it has the most power and authority of all the portable amps, and it is fairly cheap, if you can find one used. It drives my 600 ohm K240 better than any other portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back