Need a player other than Foobar 2000
May 10, 2010 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

stocklaz

Head-Fier
I am using Mac and sometime I need to play my audio in my Bootcamp Win7 64bit. In the past I just use iTunes and ask it to read my Mac partition (yes in Bootcamp Windows can read the Mac formatted partition) and play without a problem.

However I got a M2tech HiFace and YES the SQ is improved BUT it have a Direct sound problem in my setting, I need to use KS or WASAPI so that I can avoid the problem.

Problem is, Foobar2000 seem cannot read my Mac formatted partition (every time when I try to add some file into foobar the program stop and error occur, force quit result)

So I need another player program, that I can use KS or WASAPI, to read my audio file.  Any suggestion? (for some reason I want to avoid ASIO so MediaMonkey is not used here)

May 10, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 22
Seems to be a problem the Foobar devs are aware of, maybe post in this thread to let them know you're also having this issue http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=77191

May 10, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 22
I personally like uLilith, it sounds great to my ears with WASAPI, try it out, it doesn't install, you can run it straight from the folder.

May 10, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 22
I don't really like uLilith.  I'd recommend checking out the trial version of JRMC, very full featured and decently easy to use.  (Although I don't like it either.  <_<)

May 10, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 22
Trying uLilith now, using a bit more memory than Foobar, surprisingly it come from Japan that where I am living now.  Now a bad one and OK easy to understand how to use. But the windows seem cannot resize by myself is a bit ??? for me.
darthsmile.gif

Is JRMC a paid program? I am no interest on any paid program.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
I personally like uLilith, it sounds great to my ears with WASAPI, try it out, it doesn't install, you can run it straight from the folder.

Is uLilith have some plug in that will enable it to play apple lossless file?

May 10, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 22
Why the 64 bit version of Win 7?  iTunes for Windows can do WASAPI in shared mode but only with the 32 bit flavor of Windows.  If you can try the 32 bit version of Win 7 you might get what you want with the Windows version of iTunes.

J River Media Center is a paid program.  Tis very good.  Will spoil you and make you wish it worked on a Mac.  :wink:

J River Media Jukebox is a freeware version that has features stripped out and does audio only (no video).
J River Media Jukebox version 14 is in development.  J River Media Jukebox version 12 is the current non-development version (they skipped 13).  Version 12 can do ASIO, no WASAPI.  Looks like version 14 removes ASIO so no ASIO or WASAPI in Jukebox going forward (they'd want you to buy Media Center if those features are important to you).

J River can read some ALAC tags but does not write ALAC tags.  By default they play ALAC using QuickTime which has the side-effect of making gapless playback and cross-fades and other playback not work properly.  You have to manually add a codec to get ALAC to play properly.

I don't know if you're fussy about gapless playback?  If you are there are only a few Windows programs that will do it properly and that's going to limit your choices of media players.

May 10, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
uLilith is pretty cool.. and sounds good with WASAPI. :) Just testing it thanks to this thread.. 64bit/192KHz are not bad.

That's a lot of zeros.  And I don't think you can actually output in 64-float.  Although I might be wrong.

May 10, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 22
Well, Im sure that soundcard limit is 24bit, but uLilith has max at 64-float.

Downside is, that best sounding is still MPC with ReClock. Is there any player with "normal" playlist thats able to use ReClock as input?

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
I don't really like uLilith.  I'd recommend checking out the trial version of JRMC, very full featured and decently easy to use.  (Although I don't like it either.  <_<)

So what don't you like about them?

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #15 of 22
Winamp's okay, I guess. I could never get it working with ASIO, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back