Need a place to resolder a jack...in New Zealand
Mar 23, 2011 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Question2

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure where to post this, so here goes...

Right now I'm in new zealand(Auckland) for studies, and i need a place that can resolder a jack(right earphone no sound again, etc). Anyone know someone here to do it, or how to begin looking for one?

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 7
If you're not confident in soldering yourself, see if any of your friends know how to solder. Anyone with a little experience in soldering will be able to help you, assuming you have a jack ready to be soldered to. Or you could always just buy a soldering iron and do it yourself, not hard at all.

Mar 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Yea i dont have a jack ready either. Not sure where they sell them here, and i dont think anyone here knows how to solder...its not exactly a common skill unless you work in a related industry.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 7
You can do the job yourself. It's pretty easy if you just take your time and work carefully. Soldering is not a complex skill unless you're working with very tiny components and trying to achieve high commercial-grade quality for low cost. The required tools are quite inexpensive.

You'll need these items.

Replacement straight TRS connector or a right-angle TRS connector. TRS stands for Tip - Ring - Sleeve, or TRRS for four connector plugs. Once you know that little secret, searching for replacement connectors in NZ should be pretty easy.

I've used both of the above and they are relatively easy to use for IEM repair. I suggest buying several so that you have spares for the next broken IEM, or if you screw up the first one.

Soldering iron (this one includes some solder) and wire cutter/stripper. You'll need a wire stripper for quite small wires (larger wire gauge number). I think this one goes small enough. Although these links are all for US Amazon, tools like these should be available at most electrical supply or repair stores.

Here's the Wikipedia description of TRS connectors. Near the bottom is a diagram showing how assignment of the three connectors on the plug.

When you strip the outer-most insulation off the wire, you'll see that there's typically a red wire (right channel), a green wire (left channel) and a plain copper wire or sheath of copper wires (ground). No need to strip the red and green colored insulation. It will just burn off when you apply the solder iron heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back