need a new quiet hd?
Mar 15, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 34
Mar 16, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 34
$8 more dollars actually, since you have to factor in shipping. but, good point. humm, quiter than the seagate, eh? maybe so. the 5yr warranty on the seagate is nice, though; not to mention their history

also: i've never heard my hd before, and it's about two feet away

Mar 16, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 34
I have those harddrives. My only complaint is those sizes are too small
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 34
in all seroiusness, you will not hear the difference. With your hd packed away inside a closed case, sitting on the ground, and your case/cpu/psu fans running... you will not hear your hd (unless its maybe a 15k rpm drive).

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 34
I beg to differ. You can see plenty of disappointed Seagate 7200.7 / 7200.8 users in the SPCR forums. The Seagate drives are not quiet by any means, especially when it does the offline scan when idle which creates an extremely annoying noise. Seagate's silent drive reign is over. Move over for the new king of quiet hard drives.

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 34
Its quite amusing reading a discussion on hard drive acoustics on a head-fi forum! Once your can's are on the head, does it matter? I just find it interesting and I hope no one takes offense.

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundstorm
I beg to differ. You can see plenty of disappointed Seagate 7200.7 / 7200.8 users in the SPCR forums. The Seagate drives are not quite by any means, especially when it does the offline scan when idle which creates an extremely annoying noise. Seagate's silent drive reign is over. Move over for the new king of quiet hard drives.

Yes, those newer Seagate drives are nearly as "noisy" as my 74GB WD Raptor at idle - and even that Raptor is "quieter" at idle than my 120GB WD Caviar SE.

As a result, those Seagate drives have one of the poorest performance-to-noise ratios of any current HD on the market, matched in this dubious category by some of the WD Caviar drives.

Mar 16, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiniti029
in all seroiusness, you will not hear the difference. With your hd packed away inside a closed case, sitting on the ground, and your case/cpu/psu fans running... you will not hear your hd (unless its maybe a 15k rpm drive).

That depends on the rest of your system.
smily_headphones1.gif

My Samsung NIDECs are the loudest things in my system and I can hear them clearly. But I built my PC to be whisper-quiet (there's no true silent PC AFAIK), which is why I can hear the faint whine of the drives.

uzziah, I'm regular/lurker over at SPCR, and the Samsung NIDECs are widely regarded there as the quietest HDs on the market now. The problem is is making sure you get one with a NIDEC motor and not a JVC one; people with JVC Samsungs seem to consistently report more noise/whine.

The newer Seagates have generally been regarded as a great disappointment.

Unfortunately, the current generation of Samsungs only come in sizes up to 160GB. There's been recent news of a newer line of Samsungs coming out at up to 250GB, but there's no idea when they'll hit the market. If you need >160GB, there've been reports that the new Maxtor DM10s and the newer WD drives (I believe the 320GB JB models produced starting late last year) are your best bet.

I'm personally trying to wait for the new Samsungs to arrive for my next hard drive. I'm hoping they'll come soon because my server's down to just 19GB of free space.
eek.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundstorm
I beg to differ. You can see plenty of disappointed Seagate 7200.7 / 7200.8 users in the SPCR forums. The Seagate drives are not quiet by any means, especially when it does the offline scan when idle which creates an extremely annoying noise. Seagate's silent drive reign is over. Move over for the new king of quiet hard drives.

gauravsharma's post found here states that the difference is not so clear cut.

EDIT: P.S. How is the reliability of the Samsung? I've heard good things, but these good things are often spread by people who are operating on word of mouth. I've had five Seagates and none of them have failed on me yet. I have, however, had a Quantum and IBM die on me.

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 34
I just had a 40 gig die on me today (WD Caviar). I just don't know if I should go with a 160 replacement or go big with the 300. Anyone used any drive that large? (Arrays don't count)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back