need a new quiet hd?
Mar 16, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #16 of 34
If anyone wants more storage than the P80 160GB drive can provide, the P120 series has 200GB and 250GB capacity drives.

PATA
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...es_SP2014N.htm
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...es_SP2514N.htm

Native SATAII
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...es_SP2004C.htm
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Hard...es_SP2504C.htm

Can't wait for SPCR to review them.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #17 of 34
Mar 16, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #19 of 34
whatever. sheesh. i can't tell you what my seagate hard drive sounds like cuz i've never ****ing heard it. that's all i can say about it. and it's not being drowned out or anything, i can't hear it, no matter how hard i try.

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #20 of 34
I have a pair of 15k Atlas Scsi drives in my main rig, I can hear them at the front door, the pc is in the upstairs bedroom!

Anyway, my solution was to stuff a box full of big drives and put it in the attic. Built a silent P3 1ghz, passively cooled with a 5400rpm laptop hd. Its pretty near slient and I also have 500gb via the network..

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #21 of 34
actually, the easiest/cheapest solution would be to buy extension cords for your monitor, keyboard, and mouse then put your PC in the closet! The only thing you'd have to worry about is being able to circulate some air in there, or else ur closet is gonna turn into a sauna.

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiniti029
actually, the easiest/cheapest solution would be to buy extension cords for your monitor, keyboard, and mouse then put your PC in the closet! The only thing you'd have to worry about is being able to circulate some air in there, or else ur closet is gonna turn into a sauna.

i've heard bad things about the video signal going to the monitor degrading because of this. i thought about it, but it seemed actually quiet expensive and ineffective

Mar 16, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 34
It *is* actually possible to build a totally silent PC. I built one myself: No fans, the only moving part is the HD (Samsung 1614C), which is mounted into a special enclosure to further reduce the noise. Just to give you an idea *how* silent it really is: I think about getting an TFT display because I find the sound that my CRT monitor makes annoying...

The only internet resources I know are in German language. But you might have a look at www.deltatronic.de (page available in english). They are quite expensive, but it is definitely not necessary to spend so much money if you don't need high end performance, just a quiet PC for work.

My setup is: DFI infinity NFII mainboard, AMD Barton 1,8GHz mobile processor ==> *under*clocked to 1,6 Ghz, core voltage reduced to 1,25V, low-end passively cooled graphics, Samsung HD, fanless power supply, "Mercury Aero One" case. Whole PC costed about 700 Euros.

- Using a mobile processor in a desktop PC is a little bit more expensive, but they produce less heat. AMD is better than Intel at the moment. Look for mobile CPUs with "Barton" core.
- In my case reduction of core voltage to 1,25V and clock speed to 1,6 GHz decreased power consumption of the processor to 25 W max (!!!), it can easliy be cooled without a CPU fan.

The system is "always-on" and has been up and running for several month now. It is totally stable even under full load, processor temp never rises above 50°C.

Or you can get an Apple PowerBook. I have one as my main machine. The fan is *never* running on the current models, so the only thing that makes noise is the HD again. Get a silent one (4200 rpm, not Toshiba) and it is really very quiet too. And it has bit-perfect digital out, too
cool.gif

Now I may have been completely off-topic, but I figured some of the above might be interesting for you...

Andreas

Mar 16, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #24 of 34
you mean the ibook don't you? doesn't the powerbook use fans? and isn't the only way to get bit-perfect dig-out by airport express? or are we talking usb?

Mar 16, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
you mean the ibook don't you? doesn't the powerbook use fans?

Yes, the Powerbook has a fan, but it is (almost) never on, no matter how much workload.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
and isn't the only way to get bit-perfect dig-out by airport express? or are we talking usb?

Hmm... The Airport Express' digital out is certainly bit-perfect and I am using it most of the time. Not so sure about the built in digital out of the Powerbook anymore
confused.gif
. I thought that it was bit-perfect too, but I cannot find a source to cite right now. Maybe it is not... Does anybody know? Might be a "it-has-to-be-true-because-I-saw-it-on-the-internet" mistake... Sorry again if it is indeed wrong. I am going to bed now, it is late here in my timezone...

Andreas

Mar 16, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreasG
Yes, the Powerbook has a fan, but it is (almost) never on, no matter how much workload.

Hmm... The Airport Express' digital out is certainly bit-perfect and I am using it most of the time. Not so sure about the built in digital out of the Powerbook anymore
confused.gif
. I thought that it was bit-perfect too, but I cannot find a source to cite right now. Maybe it is not... Does anybody know? Might be a "it-has-to-be-true-because-I-saw-it-on-the-internet" mistake... Sorry again if it is indeed wrong. I am going to bed now, it is late here in my timezone...

Andreas

i'm pretty certain there is no built in dig-out. only on the powerMAC desktop. but good point on the fan. the ibook and powerbook by apple are there best products in my opinion; unfortunately i want linux! hehe. but really, mac0sx is great, i just won't pay for it. need a laptop sometime soon...hummm. i'll definietly go for a used one. maybe i can even find a broken one and tinker with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy
I have a pair of 15k Atlas Scsi drives in my main rig, I can hear them at the front door, the pc is in the upstairs bedroom!

Anyway, my solution was to stuff a box full of big drives and put it in the attic. Built a silent P3 1ghz, passively cooled with a 5400rpm laptop hd. Its pretty near slient and I also have 500gb via the network..

I've found that spindle speed doesn't always correlate to noise level. In fact, I have had 3600, 4500 and 5400rpm HDs in the past which were noisier than even my 120GB WD JB drive (idle or accessing).

Mar 17, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #30 of 34
"(there's no true silent PC AFAIK)"

passively cooled C3 with a laptop hard disk gets pretty close. You could use solid state storage for a proof-of-concept machine, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back