Need a new pair of headphones
Jun 18, 2010 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ugottech

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to the forums and was looking to buy a pair of headphones that would suit my needs. I don't have much experience with high quality headphones, so before I drop some money for them, I could really use advice on what to get to serve my needs.

So far the headphones I've used have been:
Skullcandy lowriders
Skullcandy In ears
Skullcandy Hesh

Yeah... lots of skullcandy, but only because that's what they sell at my college store. Anyway, I need a pair of headphones I can truly enjoy. I use my headphones primarily to:

1) Listen to music on campus
2) listen to music/watch videos in my dorm
3) Occasionally play games on the computer

The main problems I had with my skullcandy in ears was that I pulled the wire, so durability is a huge deal for me. My skullcandy lowriders are good, but they slide of my head often (I'm a size 7 hat) My dorm mate is also sometimes a pain in the ass, so the headphones would have to have minimal sound leakage as well as good sound canceling. I would prefer they be stylish and very comfortable as I do enjoy the occasional movie and sometimes wear them for hours on end while doing assignments etc. Style isn't a deciding factor, but better it be there than not, but I would sacrifice it for sound quality if necessary. I'm willing to drop below $350 USD (less is better in any case) for good durable headphones that will last me a few years. Also, I would like to be able to run on the treadmill without them falling off.

Thanks for the help in advance. I'm new to most of this, so please use n00b friendly language :)

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 29
My recommendation is the Ultrasone Pro 750s then. Very good sound quality and excellent bass.

The DT770s might be worth looking at but they are very bass heavy and boomy. Though that actually might not be bad at all for some rap and house. If you can I'd suggest you try them out before buying. Guitar center has a few decent cans. I feel the Ultrasones are much better than the DT770s however.

Do you need these to be portable?

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #8 of 29
Both pairs look pretty good, but how are they in comfort? Can I wear them around my neck while walking around? They look bulky in pictures, but since i haven't seen them in real life, I can't get an accurate portrait

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 29
The 780 is fairly portable and it folds up for easy transport. If you need portability I'd stay away from the DT770 as they are quite cumbersome.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 29
Portability is a fairly big issue, but as long as they can fit without breaking in a backpack, that works for me. I read online the 780's aren't comfortable for long periods of time (over 1 hour) is that true?

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #11 of 29
I can't really comment on comfort because when I tried them I was using the HD280 which are renowned for their high clamping force. I've heard they are not the most comfortable cans but you can always buy some beyer pads if you need more comfort.

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #12 of 29
You don't have to look at the phones priced close to his max, cheaper ones would probably suffice as well. For what you are looking for, I think the Audio Technica M50s would do fine. They are pretty portable for headphones, and I hear their bass would be decent for what you need. 

Jun 18, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #13 of 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugottech /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My dorm mate is also sometimes a pain in the ass, so the headphones would have to have minimal sound leakage as well as good sound canceling. I would prefer they be stylish and very comfortable as I do enjoy the occasional movie and sometimes wear them for hours on end while doing assignments etc. Style isn't a deciding factor, but better it be there than not, but I would sacrifice it for sound quality if necessary. I'm willing to drop below $350 USD (less is better in any case) for good durable headphones that will last me a few years. Also, I would like to be able to run on the treadmill without them falling off.

Thanks for the help in advance. I'm new to most of this, so please use n00b friendly language :)

Hi, I'm new here too but maybe my $0.02 might be worth reading anyway.

To keep noise out and sound in, around other people, you are probably really looking at a closed can... no open or semi-open drivers for you.  Most closed cans will work in these regards to varying degrees.  If your roommate is that big a factor you might find the Bose active noise cancelling phones something to look at.  The demo I tried had a large white noise generator set up a few feet from the demo display that was to simulate a jet engine...  and no, I couldn't hear it at all while wearing the Bose.  They were also extremely comfortable and didn't sound bad either, likely better than Skullcandy.  Active noise cancelers are not very popular with "audiophiles" as they actively process the sound you are hearing and perhaps color or change the music you are hearing too.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something that doesn't make them very popular with the true headfi purists.

The big thing I saw in your post was "run on the treadmill without them falling off".  Falling off will be a case-by-case basis and YMMV with any pair you might try but as I too spend some time on the treadmill this jumped out at me...  over-the-ear cans will cause your ears to sweat terribly while exercising, no matter what ones you buy.    

With a budget of $350 and your requirements I think I'd be actually buying TWO pair of phones, some decent, sweat proof in-ear for the treadmill and a good pair of closed can over the ear for everything else.  

I don't have a lot of experience with dozens of different cans but my last purchase was a pair of ATH-M50.  Very good sound quality with plenty of bass, portable, comfortable (I've been wearing them five or six hours at a go with no discomfort), the cans flip flat for easier storage, great value at somewhere around US$100-150.  I'm actually impressed that these cost so little.  I would highly recommend these with or without amp to just about anyone.

Like you I'm concerned about durability and plan to try a pair of Shure SRH-440 later today.  Cheaper than the M50 the 440 has a user replaceable cord too, which I like the idea of.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #15 of 29
another vote for the M50's. Save the rest on booze and hookers
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back