Need a new pair of headphone by tonight
May 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

CooLy_oNE

100+ Head-Fier
Hai..I just bought a portable amp RSA P-51 mustang....I have read a lot of post in this forum..and I decided to narrow it down to these 4
1. Sennheiser HD 600
2. Sennheiser HD 595
3. Grado 325i
4. AKG 702
At first,I was really firm with sennheiser HD600, but I afraid my amp is not enough for it...I listen to most vocal,acoustic song..What do you guys think goes best with my amp?

Anyone has impression on HD595 vs HD600? I try to look at the forum..but found not much...

Thanks
-Felix

May 5, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 31
Not heard #4 yet, but my vote goes to the 600s. The do timbre exceedingly well and will fit like a glove onto acoustic instruments and voices.

May 5, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not heard #4 yet, but my vote goes to the 600s. The do timbre exceedingly well and will fit like a glove onto acoustic instruments and voices.

what amp do you use it with? will my portable amp enough?

May 5, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x3 on the HD600. Mine sound soo good with the RSA Hornet M. Ray himself swears by the 600 and designs and tests his amps using them so I would take that to the bank.

May 5, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3 on the HD600. Mine sound soo good with the RSA Hornet M. Ray himself swears by the 600 and designs and tests his amps using them so I would take that to the bank.

Does RSA hornet M has a similar spec with P51?

May 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 31
I had HD650s and a Mustang for a while. I didn't like that setup. I can't say whether the HD600s would perform better with a portable, maybe...

I recommend that you go for a less amp-dependent pair, such as Grados or ESW9/10JPNs (Haven't tried the ESW9/10s, but do some research, see what others have to say).

For your genres the HD600 or HD650 looks fine, I'm just worried about how it'll pair with your Mustang.

May 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 31
I guess I'll be the voice of dissent.
tongue.gif
*Based on what I've read,* but also on owning the HD600, for vocal/acoustic music I'd probably go with AKG, either the 702s you list or 701s. I think those would just provide a bit more presence and detail in those frequencies.

May 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does RSA hornet M has a similar spec with P51?

Yes. And again, Ray uses the HD600 to design and test these amps. They will match up very, very well.

May 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had HD650s and a Mustang for a while. I didn't like that setup. I can't say whether the HD600s would perform better with a portable, may....

why you did not like it? the sound? or?

May 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. And again, Ray uses the HD600 to design and test these amps. They will match up very, very well.

How long does your RSA battery last in one charge?

May 5, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why you did not like it? the sound? or?

I'm not sure. But I'll tell you one thing, no matter how many times I switched between my Zune and my Mustang with them, I couldn't tell the difference. It was very subtle at best.

It sounded slow, veiled, the bass seemed a little bloated/overpowering... FWIR, all the signs of a poorly amped HD650.

Like I said, the HD600 might be different. In fact, I think I read someone say that it isn't as amp-dependent as the HD650, but I'm not sure.

As for the battery, well, I used it a lot, and it never ran out of power once. Therefore I can't tell you how long it lasts...
tongue_smile.gif

May 5, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 31
around 10 hours at this point. I bought the unit used so I could probably need a new battery. I think its rated 50 or so hours if I'm not mistaken.

Using 250ma 9 volts rechargeable battery from “I power US” the Hornet will charge it in less than 2 hours and will last 13-14 hours using the HD600 at very load play back
If Alkaline Duracell “Ultra” is used you get around 45 hours, using the HD600
If LITHIUM 9 volts battery is used, you will get over 120 hours of music using the HD600

May 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure. But I'll tell you one thing, no matter how many times I switched between my Zune and my Mustang with them, I couldn't tell the difference. It was very subtle at best.

It sounded slow, veiled, the bass seemed a little bloated/overpowering... FWIR, all the signs of a poorly amped HD650.

Like I said, the HD600 might be different. In fact, I think I read someone say that it isn't as amp-dependent as the HD650, but I'm not sure.

As for the battery, well, I used it a lot, and it never ran out of power once. Therefore I can't tell you how long it lasts...
tongue_smile.gif

The HD650s do not match up well with these portables. They need a nice amount of power to shine. The HD600 is a perfect match however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back