Need a new integrated amp, less than $600
Nov 27, 2003 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
Alright, due to a fortunate abundance of funds, I'm ready to upgrade my integrated to something better.

Prerequisites, must have a good headphone out, good sound quality, and a remote would be nice.

I would like to keep it below $600, but I am willing to make sacrifices.

I am using my trusty pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.1s and no way in hell am I upgrading those until I get enough dough to buy speakers that would make a significant improvement. The Wharfedales have a strong bass and less harsh treble character, wide soundstage.

I listen to all types of music, but usually classical, jazz, and rock, which would mean I need an amp that handles all of those well.

Thanks.

Nov 27, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 15
Also, I would like to purchase from one of my local dealers, either www.audioport.com
www.primusaudiopleasure.com
www.soundfxkc.com
www.kiefs.com
www.accentsound.com
Audiomart, which stocks Denon, Pioneer Elite,
A few more which I can't think of right now.

I am quite determined to purchase from one of these dealers, mostly because of a moral obligation to support our fledging audio dealers (and crush online monopolies
biggrin.gif
) and usually, I have gotten better help by speaking to a dealer in person.

Nov 27, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 15
If available, the NAD 320BEE...they make GREAT amps from a price-value perspective.

Nov 27, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 15
I highly recommand a microZOTL.
I am using it with my Omega Super 3s and AKG K501, DT880, HD600. I have used it with Triangle Titus 202 and got nice result. You don't really need all those watts to listen to your music. If you have a small room like a bedroom, I think microZOTL is one of the best you can buy.

Nov 27, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 15
HD-5000: In your price range, the usual suspects should be NAD (maybe the new C 352), Marantz (PM7200, for example), Rotel (RA-02), Cambridge Audio (both new Azur series amps) plus maybe Atoll and Arcam, if you get a good price...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 27, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 15
Of your dealer choices, your best bets seem to be Arcam, NAD, Rega, and Cambridge. They all make no-frills (they do have remotes) integrateds that sound very good for the money. I can't speak to the quality of their headphone outputs, but all offer decent sound for the money. Definitely check your dealers demo and used stock, sometimes greater values can be had, and amps are usually bullet proof so as long as you are buying from a reputable dealer, then you should be fine. Just remember, component matching is critical as well as some decent cables. Ask your dealer if you can take a unit home and try it with YOUR speakers in YOUR room. That is as important as a low price.

Good luck,
gb

In regard to MoLtoSoLo's recommendation of the MicroZotl, it would certainly work in a small space, but you better not be a headbanger, and your speakers should be VERY effecient (in the 90db or preferably higher at 8ohms). Just my personal opinion...

Nov 27, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 15
microzotl looks strange for a 87db, 6ohms pair of speakers... They're not that hungry, but still...

I happen to have those speakers
biggrin.gif
and they probably won't leave until i've TONS of cash to spend. The nad c320bee is a decent match (i decided for the 8.1 on this amp) but nothing more. The Cambridge I heard wasn't good with them. Actually, I'm extremely satisfied now with a vintage Harman Kardon integrated, the A401. Only 2x20W (but i've a small room and those are underrated watts). A nice synergy. I'd pick this over the c320bee anytime. And it cost me 140$, including an heavy cleaning and some light mods.

Nov 27, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by gbeard
Of your dealer choices, your best bets seem to be Arcam, NAD, Rega, and Cambridge. They all make no-frills (they do have remotes) integrateds that sound very good for the money. I can't speak to the quality of their headphone outputs, but all offer decent sound for the money.

As far as I know, there are no headphone outputs on the Rega Brio and Mira - so I already ruled these out...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 15
OOPS!

Thanks for the correction lini. (Btw, I loved my visit to Munich!)

HD-5000, here's another thought; Why don't you save a few more hundred dollars and get into an entry-level high end amp? You'd have many more choices and they'd undoubtably sound much better... Just a thought.

Nov 27, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #12 of 15
Brighter amps would be more suitable for those speakers IMO.

I'd probably say the Rotel RA-01/02 or Arcam A65/A75+ would be better choices than say, NAD, which while a very decent amp, would not IMO make a particularly good synergy with those speakers, as its by its nature fairly warm and laid back, as are the Wharfedales.

Pair the two together, it would be a bit dark, lacking detailed, and too biased towards the bottom end.

Nov 29, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 15
I agree with Gbeard concerning the brands likely to give you the best sound. Do take advantage of the primary advantage of buying locally--hearing the differences for yourself. I am a big believer in Linn's single-speaker demonstration theory (that undriven speakers located in the auditioning room vibrate sympathetically with the driven pair and can foul up the pitch and timing cues that make a comparison valid). Better yet, as Gbeard mentioned, is finding a dealer that will let you borrow a couple of his floor samples to try out at home.

I wouldn't worry about the quality, or even presence, of a headphone jack in your integrated amplifier. Get the integrated that gets the best performance out of your sources and speakers, and let the headphone amp, which is already on your shopping list, take care of the 'phones.

Nov 30, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 15
I have been in most of those shops. Of all of them I would recommend Primus. I only bought a phono cartridge from them but they were very helpful and spent alot of time with me. They carry alot of imported brands, Arcam being one of them. They are the kind of place that will let you audition equipment in peace and not run there mouths the whole time. After them I would go to SoundFX and listen to the NAD stuff. Audioport carries Rotel. I applaude you for shopping at local shops. Have you been to Ultimate Electronics yet. Another big box but they carry some nice stuff along with the junk. Good luck and take your time. If a salesman is to pushy, leave. You can always go back.

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks guys. I will be comparing amplifiers from my local dealers

Yeah, I've been to Ultimate Electronics, (I live on Barry rd.) which happens to be just about 5 miles from where I live. I don't like it, salesmen are pushy and they carry mostly mass market stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back