Need a new IEM, coming from HF3s
May 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

spybenj

New Head-Fier
Hey,
My HF3's broke for the third time now, so I've decided to stop getting them replaced and just buy a new IEM.
I was looking to go up a tier, and I think I've limited it to three(though I can probably only afford one of them!)
Shure SE425
Poorest sound(though still pretty amazing), but cheapest by far($280)
Shure SE535
Best sound by far, I was blown away, but so expensive($470)
Sennheiser IE80
I would say slightly better than SE425, but very expensive($400)
I know there are other IEMs out there, but I have decided that I just want to buy them from a local store(bay and bloor radio in toronto), as I can both try them out and deal with warranty much more easily(they just give you a new pair, and then send yours in to Shure/sennheiser/whatever).
So, any advice? I'm pretty sure that the 425 sounded worse than the IE80, but they were pretty close. I'm kindof at a loss here!

May 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 3
First off - (in case you haven't found this yet - another place to ask questions) - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
(I'd link to ljokerl's massive thread as well, but not sure if he's heard the SE425 or the IE80s in the past)

I'm a bit confused though - you've heard these, have your mind set on one of the three, have a chance to hear them again, already have an opinion on the sound - I'm not sure we can do much more to help other than to decide for you. Usually people ask for help as they haven't got access to the ones they're asking about so can't garner an opinion on their own. And regardless of whatever we might tell you, your ears are ultimately the judge. 

Trust your ears (to an extent)! I'm sure whatever you decide in the end would be vastly more fitting for yourself! Take some time to audition them more in depth. Some people could only wish to have the accessibility that you have with regards to these.

May 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 3
First off - (in case you haven't found this yet - another place to ask questions) - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
(I'd link to ljokerl's massive thread as well, but not sure if he's heard the SE425 or the IE80s in the past)

I'm a bit confused though - you've heard these, have your mind set on one of the three, have a chance to hear them again, already have an opinion on the sound - I'm not sure we can do much more to help other than to decide for you. Usually people ask for help as they haven't got access to the ones they're asking about so can't garner an opinion on their own. And regardless of whatever we might tell you, your ears are ultimately the judge. 

Trust your ears (to an extent)! I'm sure whatever you decide in the end would be vastly more fitting for yourself! Take some time to audition them more in depth. Some people could only wish to have the accessibility that you have with regards to these.

Yea I know, I was just hoping for some more external opinions
I found a store that carries westone in Toronto, so I'm going to give them a try tomorrow.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back