Need a new earbud.. anything new in this space?
Jul 31, 2013 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DarkScythe

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there, everyone,

It's been a while since my last visit, although my excuse it that it's saved me money because we all know what happens when you stay on this forum too long. :p
Unfortunately, I am back, and that means I am prepared to lose money again.

Anyway, as my sig indicates, I had been using a pair of Yuin OK2's for my mobile audio needs.
I say had, because they have been broken for over a year now.
I had intended to do some sort of DIY fix at some point, I never got around to it, and thinking about it, I would just be better off buying something else.

The problem with the OK2's is something that appears to happen somewhat often.
Specifically, the connection at the plug (near the stress relief) appears to fail.
I went through 2 pairs in 2 years; in other words, they failed roughly annually. I have not tried to go for a third pair yet.
I don't really understand, as I am pretty gentle with them, and only use them a couple hours a day max, but it happens.

Anyway!
I need new earbuds, because in the meantime I've been lugging my Shures around on trips, and while they are great and are virtually indestructible, I want something smaller and more portable.

For those that will ask why earbuds and not IEMs, the simple reason is that I like to stay alive.
Joking aside, I use these outside while walking around and commuting in general, and so I need to be able to hear incoming danger, something IEM's and their great isolation won't let me do.
I also like that I can quickly pull one earbud out if I need to talk to someone, and not worry that I might rip my eardrum out with it.

In any case, I did some preliminary searching, and it doesn't seem like much has changed in the world of the "top" earbuds.
It looks like the Blox TM7 is still pretty good, and I think the Yuin OK1 might still be good too (although I am hesitant about dealing with its cable issues again, if it's anything like the OK2) and the Sennheiser MX985 also seem pretty good. I'm not crazy about Sennheiser's in-line volume adjustment, though. In my experience, those tend to wear down and eventually it affects the sound by providing unequal volume to both buds.

Unfortunately, it appears both the Blox TM7 and the Sennheiser MX985 are hard to find nowadays, both either being sold out or seemingly-discontinued.

Are there any other alternatives for me?
I do use a Fiio portable amp, so amping isn't too much of an issue.
As far as SQ goes, my headphones should be a good guideline.
I enjoy the relative balance and slight warmth of my Sennheiser HD600, and Shure SRH-840, and I absolutely love the "fun" somewhat forward midrange on my Audio Technica W1000X's to bring out the vocals, and great bass response.
What I would like to avoid is excessive bass - too much of it and/or being too bloaty and thumpy gives me a headache.

Any suggestions?

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 8
Hisound Live or the PAA-1 Pro is a good choice. If you get them recabled then they will be less likely to break. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 8
If you have the opportunity, head over to Brooklyn and audition Grado GR-10. No excessive bass, great detail retrieval and very small footprint, i.e. super portable. I know these aren't earbuds per se but since you're local, it is definitely worth a try.

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 8
Whoa, thanks for the quick suggestions guys.

From some cursory searches of reviews, both the HiSound Live and the PAA-1 appear to have somewhat of a bright sound signature.
I'm not sure that would be best for me, since I listen to JPop and most of it is fairly bright to begin with.
The PAA-1 seems to be warmer than the Lives though, so I'll look into that a bit more.

Pe8er - I am actually in Brooklyn, but do the GR-10 have the same signature Grado house sound?
My friend has a pair of Grado SR-225's and I've listened to it at his place more than a couple times.
It sounds great initially, but the brightness gets really fatiguing to my ears after a very short while.

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Whoa, thanks for the quick suggestions guys.

From some cursory searches of reviews, both the HiSound Live and the PAA-1 appear to have somewhat of a bright sound signature.
I'm not sure that would be best for me, since I listen to JPop and most of it is fairly bright to begin with.
The PAA-1 seems to be warmer than the Lives though, so I'll look into that a bit more.

Pe8er - I am actually in Brooklyn, but do the GR-10 have the same signature Grado house sound?
My friend has a pair of Grado SR-225's and I've listened to it at his place more than a couple times.
It sounds great initially, but the brightness gets really fatiguing to my ears after a very short while.

Actually, the PAA-1 Pro treble is a bit rolled off and it is not bright. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 8

They do, but not all of it. You obviously can't compare a big open headphone with an IEM, the experience is completely different. Big Grados have air, space, massive soundstage compared to any IEM — which is due to construction of course. Although the Grado signature is still there in GR-10 — as far as details, beautiful midrange and punchiness are concerned. There is a LOT less treble than on big Grados, so you don't have to worry about that.

If you're in the same neighborhood, it would be a sin not to check them out! :)

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 8
Hey there, everyone,

It's been a while since my last visit, although my excuse it that it's saved me money because we all know what happens when you stay on this forum too long. :p
Unfortunately, I am back, and that means I am prepared to lose money again.

Anyway, as my sig indicates, I had been using a pair of Yuin OK2's for my mobile audio needs.
I say had, because they have been broken for over a year now.
I had intended to do some sort of DIY fix at some point, I never got around to it, and thinking about it, I would just be better off buying something else.

The problem with the OK2's is something that appears to happen somewhat often.
Specifically, the connection at the plug (near the stress relief) appears to fail.
I went through 2 pairs in 2 years; in other words, they failed roughly annually. I have not tried to go for a third pair yet.
I don't really understand, as I am pretty gentle with them, and only use them a couple hours a day max, but it happens.

Anyway!
I need new earbuds, because in the meantime I've been lugging my Shures around on trips, and while they are great and are virtually indestructible, I want something smaller and more portable.

For those that will ask why earbuds and not IEMs, the simple reason is that I like to stay alive.
Joking aside, I use these outside while walking around and commuting in general, and so I need to be able to hear incoming danger, something IEM's and their great isolation won't let me do.
I also like that I can quickly pull one earbud out if I need to talk to someone, and not worry that I might rip my eardrum out with it.

In any case, I did some preliminary searching, and it doesn't seem like much has changed in the world of the "top" earbuds.
It looks like the Blox TM7 is still pretty good, and I think the Yuin OK1 might still be good too (although I am hesitant about dealing with its cable issues again, if it's anything like the OK2) and the Sennheiser MX985 also seem pretty good. I'm not crazy about Sennheiser's in-line volume adjustment, though. In my experience, those tend to wear down and eventually it affects the sound by providing unequal volume to both buds.

Unfortunately, it appears both the Blox TM7 and the Sennheiser MX985 are hard to find nowadays, both either being sold out or seemingly-discontinued.

Are there any other alternatives for me?
I do use a Fiio portable amp, so amping isn't too much of an issue.
As far as SQ goes, my headphones should be a good guideline.
I enjoy the relative balance and slight warmth of my Sennheiser HD600, and Shure SRH-840, and I absolutely love the "fun" somewhat forward midrange on my Audio Technica W1000X's to bring out the vocals, and great bass response.
What I would like to avoid is excessive bass - too much of it and/or being too bloaty and thumpy gives me a headache.

Any suggestions?
Maybe It is a Good choice for you,why not to try it?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PHZ35Z
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078S2TJGK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back