Need a new car... recommendations?
Aug 21, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #31 of 84
I think the skyline american version is gonna be Nissan GT-R, not a big fan of the G35, a little too round to my taste, like the R33-R34 better, the boxy look. The new one is nice but if they were gonna market it as G35 i would not buy it.

Aug 21, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #32 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellover009
I think the skyline american version is gonna be Nissan GT-R, not a big fan of the G35, a little too round to my taste, like the R33-R34 better, the boxy look. The new one is nice but if they were gonna market it as G35 i would not buy it.

Nissan has already said that in the US it will almost certainly be marketed under the Infiniti brand, in Japan it will stay under Nissan. Nissan supposedly also said that this will be roughly what it looks like (No firm reports from Nissan whether this will be the final body style or if they'll change it again though, but the 350Z came out nearly identical to the prototype), these were released a while ago.

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #33 of 84
I like my 2000 Nissan Sentra. 5 spd, alloy, preminum sound, with 38k I paid $7500. Great car. Not great handling, but fast enough to get into trouble. 51k and not a thing done to it save oil changes.

When I do buy a new car, though (which won't be soon--I'll have the Sentra until it won't go forward anymore), I will hands down not buy foreign. You're just not getting what you pay for IMHO. If I had to buy a car today, and..
my price was x: I'd buy y

$30k: Pontiac GTO, Ford Mustang GT convertable,
$20k: Ford Mustang, Pontiac Solstice (fantastic looking car!), Ford F-150, Ford Fusion, Pontiac G6, Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon.
$15k: Ford ranger, Pontiac G5

I would not buy used, but that's just where I am in my life. I want something new. For under $15,000, I'd probably buy a used Japanese car, too.

*The only foreign car I'd consider is the Mazda MX5 Miata, because I think that car looks stunningly nice.*

Best of luck!

PS-Also, this is a GREAT website: http://www.carsurvey.org/

edit// DO try a Mazda; every test drive I've ever taken with one I have laughed hysterically the entire time. "Zoom zoom" is for real, they are FUN cars!

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #34 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
...do not double clutch or engine brake though!...

Uhh, why not? I've been doing both for years? Engine braking to save my brakes, and double clutching when I get bored in traffic.

Aug 22, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #36 of 84
Quote:

http://www.nissanusa.com/09gt-r/
nah still named nissan.

Heres better pictures.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...08_nissan_gtr/

Quote:

April 13 2006
GT-R's U.S. Nameplate Announced

Since the unveiling of the GT-R PROTO at last October's Tokyo Motor Show, Nissan has continued development of the legendary GT-R sports coupe. And while details about the next generation GT-R have been few, one important piece of information was made public today.

Mr. Carlos Ghosn, President and CEO of Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., kicked-off the New York International Auto Show with the exciting revelation that the GT-R will be sold in the U.S. as the Nissan GT-R.

As part of his keynote address at the International Motor Press Association Breakfast, Mr. Ghosn said that when he unveiled the GT-R PROTO, Nissan had not yet decided whether the GT-R would be sold as a Nissan or an Infiniti in the United States.

Mr. Ghosn also expressed enthusiasm that the heart-pounding GT-R will build on drivers' passion for the Nissan brand.

We should start a GTR thread, there seem to be a ton of guys here who love the Skyline
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #37 of 84
I'm still using my 1999 Honda Civic, which I bought used in 2002. Pretty good gas mileage, although I think the fuel injection system needs cleaning, transmission fluid exchanged, and my next oil change is coming up soon. But overall, a very reliable car.

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

http://www.nissanusa.com/09gt-r/
nah still named nissan.

Heres better pictures.
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe...08_nissan_gtr/

The first link is in Nissan's site and they show the new GT-R, I went to Infinity's website, nothing about a skyline or a GT-R. I suspect they called the G35 skyline in japan because infinity does not exist in japan yet so they would probably sell it as a lite skyline and then move the skyline to gt-r rank.

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #39 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbucla2005
I'm looking for a car that's maybe a year or two old, something with a warranty, what do you guys recommend? Personally I mainly care about reliability & gas mileage. Something smaller and more economy minded like a toyota, honda, volkswagon, maybe? What about hydrids? I know nothing about cars.. Thanks.

Yes, but what's your budget???Under 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K...
Really hard to advise something like this. Do you need much space?
Are you into 2, 3, 4, or 5 doors? Open or closed? What's the weather like?

I'd pick a year old Mini, Miata or Solstice. Maybe Civic Si, VW GTI, Toyota Prius.

Aug 23, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #40 of 84
i find it surprising how popular the g35,tl,is350 are.
i find the build quality of those cars to be horrible. a c55,s4,m3 cost more for good reason.

the sti and gto are nice gokarts but lousy cars imho.

what happened to the op, reliable and economical? lol.

music_man

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #41 of 84
Quote:

i find the build quality of those cars to be horrible. a c55,s4,m3 cost more for good reason.

music_man

Are you kidding me? Mercedes has some of the worst build quality in the luxxury/high end market! They're always in to be serviced because of some either mechanical or cosmetical malfunction. My aunty used to own a 2001 E320 and the engine was constantly in Mercede's service center. Whether it was the transmission or the engine it self, something was always breaking. Needless to say she traded it in for a Lexus LS430. Mercedes traded in quality for quantity ten years ago, only recently has the qc begun to come up to par.

The S4 is a solid car but at $46,400 for the base S4, it's ten grand more than the cars previously listed. The M3 is not a sedan, it's a coupe or a convertible, so already it's in a different league from the other competitor listed, which are entry level luxury sports saloons. The M3 also starts at $48,900. Most consumers looking to purchase the M3 also will opt for the subpar SMG tranny, which on top of having much slower upshifts than the standard 6 speed, costs an extra $2400. None of the cars you listed are even in the same price range of the cars that you are bashing. All of them are also high-powered sports cars unable of achieving even a hint of decent gas mileage. At least the TL and G35 can get around 22mpg, the C55/M3 get 16 mpg or about the same as a turbodiesel Ford F-250, not really what you would call economical.

Aug 23, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #43 of 84
Honda 4 cylinders, can't say anything bad about them.

Going to be selling my 02 Civic soon because I got an 05 Accord. My Civic wasn't the fastest thing on the road, but it was adaquate (don't need 500hp to get from point A to point B). My average fuel mileage for 70 city/30 highway was about 31mpg. On long highway trips, I easily achieved 36-38mpg. Less than $35 a tank, upto 400 miles range on a tank, this is a great car for commuters.

My 05 Accord 4 cylinder also gets great mileage, about 27mpg combined and 32-34mpg highway, and its a torquey engine also, accelerates very well to 60mph. Had a friend of mine surprised at how fast it accelerated for a 4 cylinder, and he drives an 06 Maxima with 265hp!

I don't mind spending money on worthwhile items, but spending money on gas, that's not something my income should be spent on.

Aug 23, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #44 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Yes, but what's your budget???Under 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K...
Really hard to advise something like this. Do you need much space?
Are you into 2, 3, 4, or 5 doors? Open or closed? What's the weather like?

I'd pick a year old Mini, Miata or Solstice. Maybe Civic Si, VW GTI, Toyota Prius.

My budget is around 15k, I am pretty tall (6') but don't need much space beyond fitting myself in the car. I Don't really care about # of doors, but would prefer a closed car, and I live in the Los Angeles area so the weather is mild and sunny usually, although slightly humid also because I am near the beach.

I will go going to the Santa Monica Honda dealership next week. Thanks for all the responses, they have been very helpful.

Aug 23, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 84
Quote:

music_man

maybe they don't have as many exclusive luxury components but at least the g35, TL and the IS are not in the shop everyday like the c33, s4 and the m3. My friend had an m3, babyed it, it would develop every so often problems, i think 1 every month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back