Need a new car... recommendations?
Sep 6, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #61 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
I always envied you guys....If I were over in USA, I'll get myself 2 or even 3 M5's.....This is the kind of horrible car prices that we get here in Singapore....
.jpg

And here's the conversion rates....
conversion.jpg

so what's stopping you from getting the M5? if you can afford 2-3 M5 here in the US, surely you can spare 300K to get 1 M5 in Singapore.

But truley Corvette is a bargain in autosport, and M5 is a bargain in high-end autosport. well..I use bargain comparatively and not in absolute term
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #62 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
isn't acura like 5th. with jdpower or something?

i recently had a tl and am so glad to be rid of it.

i actually find the german cars to be a lot better. i don't know what this mb bashing lately is about. i never had any problems with mb.

lexus is ok too but besides the Is they are kind of sleepy.

still, i stick with my statement that the civic represents a very solid value at any price really. so does a corolla. hardly any other cars routinely go over 500k miles.

music_man

I have never owned a Japanese car and never will. their styling is so blah and their manual is lackluster. If you like driving, get the BMW for its handling and its ability to slide, your connection to the road, and that famous inline 6, or Audi for its "on the rail" corning, although their turbo still lags
frown.gif
. Both have great gear boxes, BMW is the better of the 2, although I prefer proche 911GT's box..but that's waaaaaay out my price range....not that the previous brands are not
biggrin.gif

Here is a side note: after driving auto box for 7 years, I finally learned manual, and I would never drive a car with auto box again. The tiptronics doesn't really work either. For passing there is nothing like from cruise to 5000RPM on 3rd, in less than 1 sec
wink.gif
I would probably pick civic over 325i if I can get the civic with a manual box ....lmao.

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #64 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
so what's stopping you from getting the M5? if you can afford 2-3 M5 here in the US, surely you can spare 300K to get 1 M5 in Singapore.

But truley Corvette is a bargain in autosport, and M5 is a bargain in high-end autosport. well..I use bargain comparatively and not in absolute term
wink.gif

Its not what's stopping me from getting an M5...The problem is, cars in Singapore are all absurdly priced so as to discourage people from buying them...Afterall, the government wouldn't want a country that's just 40miles across to be flooded with cars and bad traffic....A Mitsubishi EVO retails for around $100,000 USD....

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #65 of 84
That high price like JahJahBinks said was due to the import tax....I remembered some years back that its around 150% + road tax + Certificate of Entitlement and other stuff....That's why we pay through our nose to have a car...And I won't have to worry about getting one yet since I've just turned 18 and haven't gotten my license cause 18 is the legal age for driving as well as my busy year for the college entrance examinations....So i haven't got much time to get a license....I kinda envy my cousins down at CA diamondbar area....They've all gotten thier license already and I'am older than them but can't drive yet....
rolleyes.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #66 of 84
Quote:

Its not what's stopping me from getting an M5...The problem is, cars in Singapore are all absurdly priced so as to discourage people from buying them...Afterall, the government wouldn't want a country that's just 40miles across to be flooded with cars and bad traffic....A Mitsubishi EVO retails for around $100,000 USD....

I guess you are rich..but its great for poor folks like us that we can drive luxury brand cars with what you would consider petty cash
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #67 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert
I guess you are rich..but its great for poor folks like us that we can drive luxury brand cars with what you would consider petty cash
wink.gif

I ain't rich....

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #68 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I am actually looking for one of these!

It's a great car. The transmission, like all Civics actually, is a pleasure to shift with and the clutch is really light. I also think that that gen Civic was the best looking to date, although the new Civic coupe is starting to grow on me. Also, whether you decide to go naturally aspirated, turbo, or even supercharged, there's a plethora of aftermarket parts already available, many smog legal (Not that that matters much anyway
very_evil_smiley.gif
). A lot of people also associate the Si with the stereotypical ricers, you know the ones with 5 inch sh$t can mufflers, fake intercoolers, and more power flowing into the subwoofers than down to the wheels. So you can actually build one hell of a sleeper car.

Sep 7, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #69 of 84
Quote:

I ain't rich....

but you want an M5?? are we talking about the BMW M5 here?? or is there a Kia or Hyundai car that's also called an M5? because even without import taxes or what not, the car is about $80,000... a rich man's car by all means...

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #70 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
It's a great car. The transmission, like all Civics actually, is a pleasure to shift with and the clutch is really light. I also think that that gen Civic was the best looking to date, although the new Civic coupe is starting to grow on me. Also, whether you decide to go naturally aspirated, turbo, or even supercharged, there's a plethora of aftermarket parts already available, many smog legal (Not that that matters much anyway
very_evil_smiley.gif
). A lot of people also associate the Si with the stereotypical ricers, you know the ones with 5 inch sh$t can mufflers, fake intercoolers, and more power flowing into the subwoofers than down to the wheels. So you can actually build one hell of a sleeper car.

Ehh I already had the power with my VR6 Jetta. I have since removed the supercharger and am more than happy with the 172hp and 174ft/lbs it makes stock (well I still have the 2.5" exhaust and i threw on a cone for ease). I think it will be nice to be able to have similar power (the civic has less hp, and a lot less torque, but it is lighter), but be able to get better than 25mpg on the highway. Plus it will be newer (I'm at 88K on the Jetta, ~40K which it was SC'ed). Ya I think that coupe is better looking that the current one...plus it has the better, independent, front suspension that Honda shelved. I'd keep it totally stock. Now finding one that isn't riced out is a real PITA.

Oh and SMOG does matter in CA. This state is insane. You have to put your car on rollers now, so they can 'snif it' under load, plus they are insane with visuals....well that is unless you know somebody...but I pretty much used my last favor with the 'friend' I had. So now it is time to play by the rules again. Or leave CA (which I consider quite often).

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #71 of 84
i had one of those si's. it was worked into running 11's! that was pretty fun. then i threw a rod and sold it for $2,000.
frown.gif

i was riding along the new civic today. that is a nice looking car.

music_man

Sep 8, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #72 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Ehh I already had the power with my VR6 Jetta. I have since removed the supercharger and am more than happy with the 172hp and 174ft/lbs it makes stock (well I still have the 2.5" exhaust and i threw on a cone for ease). I think it will be nice to be able to have similar power (the civic has less hp, and a lot less torque, but it is lighter), but be able to get better than 25mpg on the highway. Plus it will be newer (I'm at 88K on the Jetta, ~40K which it was SC'ed). Ya I think that coupe is better looking that the current one...plus it has the better, independent, front suspension that Honda shelved. I'd keep it totally stock. Now finding one that isn't riced out is a real PITA.

Oh and SMOG does matter in CA. This state is insane. You have to put your car on rollers now, so they can 'snif it' under load, plus they are insane with visuals....well that is unless you know somebody...but I pretty much used my last favor with the 'friend' I had. So now it is time to play by the rules again. Or leave CA (which I consider quite often).

Why Honda swapped out the double wishbones up front for Macphersons is beyond me, cheaper I suppose.

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #73 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
but you want an M5?? are we talking about the BMW M5 here?? or is there a Kia or Hyundai car that's also called an M5? because even without import taxes or what not, the car is about $80,000... a rich man's car by all means...

I guess its got to do with getting used to....With $80,000, one could only get an average car here in Singapore....Something like a mini or subara imprezza WRX ($95,000USD)....So its relative...M5 being $80,000 is considerably cheap in Singapore...We have a BMW 7 series here in Singapore and it costs $200,000 USD....And the fact is that many people here own 7 series or even other exotic cars...I guess its no longer being rich but rather getting used to the price and stuff like that...But hey, comon, prices of cars in USA are really dirt cheap...The cheapest car I could think of that's been sold locally is probably the poor quality China made Cherry that's retailing for about $22,000 usd here...

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #74 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
cheaper I suppose.

Correct. Everything is about the bottom line these days.

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #75 of 84
I don't know why you guys are so rich thinking $80,000 is cheap. for me $80k is $80k, regardless of what type of cars you can get with it; that's like a house down payment man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back