Need a little friendly advice...
Dec 6, 2006 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chops

500+ Head-Fier
I'm still in the dark as far as what cans I should go for. From Senn, I've had the HD545, HD580 and HD600 (in that order). I've had the pleasure of using a pair of 1st gen Beyer DT880's for a little over 3 weeks. This is all from about 3 years ago! So my memory of these cans and their sound has all but faded from my gord. BTW, these were all powered by a Headroom Cosmic amp and the source was (and still is) my trusty Sony DVP-NS755V.

I have been listening to these MDR-7506's of mine for so long now, (going on 15 years now and without being amped, ever!) that I'm not 100% sure what cans will take me where I want to go. I want something that's going to at least match the bass, if not go just a little bit deeper with a tad bit more oomph while remaining tight and detailed, a more natural, clean and open midrange, and treble that's more refined yet detailed.

With these new Beyer velour ear pads that I just installed a few days ago, comfort is by far better than ever before. I can wear these cans for hours on end with absolutely no discomfort whatsoever. My ears only get a little warmed up, but never to the point of moist or sweaty like with the old nasty stock pleather Sony pads.

Also, these new Beyer pads have improved the bass output of these cans considerably, while still maintaining the tightness. They are by no means boomy or heavy. I guess it has a lot to do with how much better these pads seal to the sides of my head. They also do a much better job of isolating outside noise.

And speaking of comfort, the headband has never presented itself as a problem. It has never put a sore spot on the top of my head. I cut my hair to almost the point of being completely bald, so I figure if there was ever going to be a problem with the headband, I'd know about it.

The cans I'm considering are (in no special order):
  1. AKG K601
  2. AKG K701
  3. Beyer DT880 (2005)
  4. Beyer DT990 (2005)
  5. Senn HD600
  6. Senn HD650

Comfort is a very major factor, which if you notice, all of these offer the large velour type, over the ear pads. I have my cans on for nearly 4-5 hours straight every work day, and nearly every waking hour on my days off, so comfort has to be 100% top notch. With the new Beyer pads installed, it's truely amazing how comfortable these MDR-7506's really are!

You will also notice that I did not mention Grado cans. My brother has a pair of SR80's, and eventhough they sound pretty good overall, I can not and will not put up with the major discomfort of these things squashing down on my ears. Why Grado insists on using those cheap, cheesy foam ear pads on ALL of their models is beyond me. Plus the fact that I can't stand headphones that sit on top of your earlobes. They don't make a very good seal that way and are just simply way too unconfortable to me. And I don't like the way the grille of the driver sits directly on the boney cartilage part of the ear either. I can't see how anyone can enjoy these cans for any length of time. I won't even get started on the headband and its discomfort. I can't wear the Grado's for anymore than about 20 minutes without having to yank them off and rub my ears to give them a break.

The GS1000's ear pads look a little promising, but NOT at $1k, and not with the same headband.

If Grado decided to start using velour style ear pads such as AKG, Beyer and Senn, then I would consider them as well. But until then, no dice.

Sorry for the little rant, just kinda flowed out of me without much effort. I guess they really bother me that much. I've given these Grado cans numerous chances, but to no avail.

So with all of that out of the way, what would you all suggest?

As a side note, I've even entertained the idea of the Beyer DT770 Pro and DT990 Pro as a secondary set of cans. How do the DT990 Pro's compare to the rest, or do they?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Of the cans you mentioned I have found the AKG 601/701 the most comfortable.

Of low cost amps the Xian Sheng 708B is a good choice for about $200. However, with most any Chinese amp, the stock Chinese tubes need to be replaced to get good sound - about $25 cost for the 708B.

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of low cost amps the Xian Sheng 708B is a good choice for about $200. However, with most any Chinese amp, the stock Chinese tubes need to be replaced to get good sound - about $25 cost for the 708B.

what he said is true. the 708B is a clean, strong amp that will work well with any headphone I've tried so far.

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 8
First pf all, there are NO Beyer 2006 or 2007 models - newest is designated 2005. I'll add there is no better earpads than those Beyer velours that you have tried. Jan Meier is the only source of 32 ohm versions of Beyer dt770,880, or 990 headphones. I recall one or two threads where it was mentioned that a poster had bought them - do a forum search about those. I would not recommend dt770 for music without getting the Darth mod. from Larry/Headphile...........so that brings us to dt880 or dt990. The star of that show is IMO dt990/600 - but, as you may figure, they will require a good std. amp like Corda HA2 (they are NOT as power-hungry as you might suppose, but you must have a decent amp for them).

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm really looking hard at the AKG's lately. Hmm...

BTW, how does the Xian Sheng 708B compare to something like the Little Dot II ++? I have been eye-ballin' this little amp as well.

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First pf all, there are NO Beyer 2006 or 2007 models - newest is designated 2005. I'll add there is no better earpads than those Beyer velours that you have tried. Jan Meier is the only source of 32 ohm versions of Beyer dt770,880, or 990 headphones. I recall one or two threads where it was mentioned that a poster had bought them - do a forum search about those. I would not recommend dt770 for music without getting the Darth mod. from Larry/Headphile...........so that brings us to dt880 or dt990. The star of that show is IMO dt990/600 - but, as you may figure, they will require a good std. amp like Corda HA2 (they are NOT as power-hungry as you might suppose, but you must have a decent amp for them).

As far as amps go, I do have a Little Dot Micro+ on its way. I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow. I know it's a little portable amp, but should do a decent job until I get a home-based amp.

Also, I'm sure this is a somewhat stupid question, but how does the DT990 differ from the DT990 Pro, other than cosmetics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back