Need a Dac recommendation
May 19, 2006 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dskywalker

100+ Head-Fier
Right now my home rig is ZVM+SM3+HD600. But I kind of get tired of loading songs onto the player everytime I get a new album. I think I rather use my computer as a source at home. I have an old Audigy 2 Platinum Pro with an optical out. I'm thinking I'll need to buy a DAC. Audigy 2's headphone out doesn't sound very good (even using the SM3 as an amp). I'm aware of the headroom micro dac and the zhaolu. Micro dac is a lil too expensive for me and it seems like it takes 2 weeks for me to buy one from there. Zhaolu 2.0 seems OK, but it's a lil too big (not a huge problem) and I don't need the internal amp. Is there other alternatives out there? Or if you insist on what I just listed, why? Thank you experts!

May 21, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 4
Well, the Micro DAC is $299, so you're looking at something under that, right?

A lot of people seem happy with the Zhalou and the SilverStone EB01 (about $90). I haven't heard the Zhalou yet, but there's an EB01 waiting in the closet right now. It's a gift for my brother-in-law, so I'll get the scoop on it in a couple more weeks. But I bought it on the strength of the recommendations here. Read those; I found them convincing.

May 21, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 4
The Silverstone EB01 is a great sounding USB DAC, and at less than $90 a bargain. I have one and it compares very favorably with the Headroom Micro Dac, even though it is 1/3 the price. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back