Need a cheap usb bit perfect soundcard?
Jun 11, 2007 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

niko-time

100+ Head-Fier
Without all the fancy stuff, just so my windows laptop can be connected to my DAC (see sig) and sound good. How can I do that, or do I not need one with my DAC?

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 23
Check out the Behringer UCA202. They cost around $30.00 USD and are bit perfect.

In the future, please try doing a search. This question comes up at least a few times a month.

Happy Listening!

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 23
I tried but the search function was not working on head-fi for me...still isn't, I'm on quite a bad connection I think, but it let me post a thread.

Thanks for the advice
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 23
AV-710 $22 USD Newegg

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 23
Sorry Josh, it needs to be usb and you can't purchase that in england.

Abs listed a good one
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Behringer UCA202. They cost around $30.00 USD and are bit perfect.

In the future, please try doing a search. This question comes up at least a few times a month.

Happy Listening!

What makes you believe that they are bit perfect? They use the standard system drive which is not bit perfect.

Cheers

Thomas

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #7 of 23
Ah...so are they not for me then? Is there anything else which will work?

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 23
um... if you're asking for a soundcard for your musiland md10 *modded*.
I do believe the md10 has the ability to connect to your computer via USB.
And thus you would not need to get a USB based sound card to output to the musiland MD10.

I don't know if adding a usb sound card, and outputting from that to the musiland will help much. Unless the mod to your md10 disabled the USB option, or the implementation of going from USB to audio in the md10 is especailly bad (which as far as I know, is not the case), you are most likely better off going computer -> USB musiland.

Because as I believe... a USB sound card that outputs via spdif just uses the usb->spdif conversion and not the "usb -> i2s??" (spelling) which is supposedly better.[supposedly, since I personally have not read much on it, nor do i have any experience regarding these two methods] And the musland itself probably implements with one of these two methods, and there should be nothing gained by adding a USB sound card to the chain.

Jun 12, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um... if you're asking for a soundcard for your musiland md10 *modded*.
I do believe the md10 has the ability to connect to your computer via USB.
And thus you would not need to get a USB based sound card to output to the musiland MD10.

I don't know if adding a usb sound card, and outputting from that to the musiland will help much. Unless the mod to your md10 disabled the USB option, or the implementation of going from USB to audio in the md10 is especailly bad (which as far as I know, is not the case), you are most likely better off going computer -> USB musiland.

Because as I believe... a USB sound card that outputs via spdif just uses the usb->spdif conversion and not the "usb -> i2s??" (spelling) which is supposedly better.[supposedly, since I personally have not read much on it, nor do i have any experience regarding these two methods] And the musland itself probably implements with one of these two methods, and there should be nothing gained by adding a USB sound card to the chain.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, I guess I don't need one then

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What makes you believe that they are bit perfect? They use the standard system drive which is not bit perfect.

Cheers

Thomas

I know this because when I play a HDCD FLAC file in Foobar2000 through my Dell 9300 with a UCA202 plugged into an Adcom GDA-700, it lights up its HDCD light.

Happy Listening!

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

I know this because when I play a HDCD FLAC file in Foobar2000 through my Dell 9300 with a UCA202 plugged into an Adcom GDA-700, it lights up its HDCD light.

Happy Listening!

If you are using the UCA202 merely as a transport to an external DAC, is there any reason to spend more on pricier transports such as the HagUSB or M-Audio transit? The latter 2 are also bit perfect, but are there other factors to consider, such as jitter production? Lastly, is the UCA202 capable of outputting a 44.1Khz signal without resampling to 48Khz as does many other cheaper USB -> spdif solutions? Thanks!

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by joefosho315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using the UCA202 merely as a transport to an external DAC, is there any reason to spend more on pricier transports such as the HagUSB or M-Audio transit? The latter 2 are also bit perfect, but are there other factors to consider, such as jitter production? Lastly, is the UCA202 capable of outputting a 44.1Khz signal without resampling to 48Khz as does many other cheaper USB -> spdif solutions? Thanks!

If you are using it just as a transport, I see no reason to spend more cash. I have no idea about it's jitter production compared to other devices. Yes, it does output 44.1khz with no re-sampling. The only issue is that the UCA202 'takes over' your built-in sound card and all Windows sounds are sent through it.

Happy Listening!

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Happy Listening!

Great, how do you talk to the card?

Kernel Streaming?

I just went through this exercise with a Edirol that was supposed to be bit perfect with wav/Directsound and found that it is not.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back