Need a budget film SLR
Jan 8, 2010 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm taking Photography I this semester and was just informed by the teacher I need a 35mm film SLR camera. My mom brought out her old one but it is not in good shape and we've been told it would probably be cheaper just to buy one.

So now you know what I know: I need a 35mm SLR film camera (no flash needed). I have no more information available from my professor besides that.

I am very low on cash so I'd like, more or less, the cheapest possible deal. If I had to pick a budget, I'd like to stay under $50 if possible, but less is ideal.

Can anyone help?

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm taking Photography I this semester and was just informed by the teacher I need a 35mm film SLR camera. My mom brought out her old one but it is not in good shape and we've been told it would probably be cheaper just to buy one.

So now you know what I know: I need a 35mm SLR film camera (no flash needed). I have no more information available from my professor besides that.

I am very low on cash so I'd like, more or less, the cheapest possible deal. If I had to pick a budget, I'd like to stay under $50 if possible, but less is ideal.

Can anyone help?

Check Craigslist for a used camera. Film SLRs can be had pretty cheap. Or see if you can borrow one. Plenty of people have film cameras sitting around since going digital.

Did you try running a roll of film through your Mom's camera? Just because it's
not in mint condition doesn't mean it's broken.

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 14
I got my Canon EOS 1000FN body for £15 on eBay. If your mother's camera is a Canon with an EOS/EF mount lens then you will be able to use it on another EOS body.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 14
Ken Rockwell has a good website. Regarding you photography class/lessons, make sure the camera you choose isn't all AF. Auto focus is fine, but when making adjustments for whatever situation you need good manual focus settings and controls. There is plenty of choice with bodies. The lenses can be a burden to the wallet.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 14
Pentax K1000. I still have mine, even though I've gone mostly digital now. It's a true workhorse, I tell ya.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 14
Ricoh makes some good SLR's and they are dirt cheap on the used market - Konica too.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 14
I have a nikon FM
smily_headphones1.gif
still dont ahve a lense tho -.-'
i always get beat

May 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 14
I'll second the Pentax K1000.  I picked one up at a Flea Market on vacation a couple of years ago for $8.  Put in $3 battery for the light meter and it works great.  Best $11 bucks I've spent yet.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #14 of 14
Ken Rockwell is actually a pretty dangerous resource - he frequently makes up information (and admits as much). What are you are the requirements for the camera? Do you need internal metering, autofocus, motor drive, etc.? Also, do you/your mom already have a camera system? The body might be shot, but if your mom's lenses are good, that's the important part.

The biggest issues with older cameras are the shutter not firing and film advance not working. Common issues are just finding the right batteries for them and trusting the internal meter - an external light meter is infinitely more helpful. The old stand-bys of the used camera market are the Nikon FM series, Canon AE, Pentax K1000, Minolta X series, and Olympus OM series (*sniff* my first film camera). You should be able to find a body for less than $10 locally or around the internet/eBay. KEH is a good resource to buy used gear, but you can often get a better deal if you hunt around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back