Need a better isolating Meelec M6
Apr 8, 2010 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jddesigned

Head-Fier
Be it my second IEM, but I've fallen in love with the sound of the Meelectronics M6's. I like what they do from bass to treble especially when I paid $30 shipped to Canada. Riding on the subway could be a lot better isolation wise and I know this cause the M11's do it great.

I've been listening to a lot of symphony lately in flac format and really notice the good imaging/possitioning and a fairly decent soundstage. So I'd like to maintain these attributes and who knows improve upon them at the same time. I listen to a little of everything else, rap, metal, pop etc. So if we can keep all the goods things the M6's do and improve the isolation is all I ask. I make it sound so easy
tongue_smile.gif

Price wise under $100 would be great.

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 11
I would suggest trying decored shure olives as I do. Greatly improves isolation with minimal impact on the sound, and less expensive & risky than trying to find another pair of earphones with the same attributes as the m6.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 11
Expanding on what jtsai said, experiment with different tips. Another recommendation would be Sony Hybrids. But first use any other tips you have lying around, see if you can achieve anything.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
she9850 with its new low price is rather a bargain, nearish what you want

Very mixed reviews on these but I'm guessing that's comparing them to $100 + IEMS. They're probably more inline with the M6's @ the discounted rate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hero Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Expanding on what jtsai said, experiment with different tips. Another recommendation would be Sony Hybrids. But first use any other tips you have lying around, see if you can achieve anything.

As for tips I don't have any laying around. Sadly the Meelec's were my entry into IEM's. I've read review such as joker that say Sony's are his preferred tip, but do you guys really think they'll make that much of a difference with this kind of design?

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 11
Apr 9, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 11
I'll investigate the Sony tips for sure, but I'm still open to similar sound signature better sounding IEM suggestions.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jddesigned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very mixed reviews on these but I'm guessing that's comparing them to $100 + IEMS. They're probably more inline with the M6's @ the discounted rate?

As for tips I don't have any laying around. Sadly the Meelec's were my entry into IEM's. I've read review such as joker that say Sony's are his preferred tip, but do you guys really think they'll make that much of a difference with this kind of design?

na id say the she9850 would be a good buy at us$80 and not unreasonable at us$100, of course they dont have the bass powers that many are used to in the lower end of things. for big bass power a single BA driver doesnt compete with a dynamic. its just that before this huge price drop it had little to make it stand out from the crowd, things like the custom 2 and se310 always were the more obvious choices as they were from more prestigious makers

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
na id say the she9850 would be a good buy at us$80 and not unreasonable at us$100, of course they don't have the bass powers that many are used to in the lower end of things. for big bass power a single BA driver doesnt compete with a dynamic. its just that before this huge price drop it had little to make it stand out from the crowd, things like the custom 2 and se310 always were the more obvious choices as they were from more prestigious makers

Ya there's another thing I'm wondering. The M6 has pretty decent bass and really adds that extra oomph to classical. Rap comes on and it's nice to have too. Would it be a noticeable difference or is there enough overall balance to the she9850 that they do a good job.

Like I say the M6 is my first real IEM and it sounds good for a number of genres to me, but perhaps I should be broadening my spectrum or looking for more specific things. Isolation is number one, but I'd like to feel like I'm at the symphony for sure.

I know you're only trying to help Mark and the real test is to just get em and try em.

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Rap comes on and it's nice to have too.

Funny thing you mentioned that, I was listening to LL Cool J greatest Hits and boy did it sound great with the M6 and heard some stuff I'd never heard before. I ordered the M9 yesterday from buy.com, they are on sale for $16.99.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Ya there's another thing I'm wondering. The M6 has pretty decent bass and really adds that extra oomph to classical. Rap comes on and it's nice to have too. Would it be a noticeable difference or is there enough overall balance to the she9850 that they do a good job.

Like I say the M6 is my first real IEM and it sounds good for a number of genres to me, but perhaps I should be broadening my spectrum or looking for more specific things. Isolation is number one, but I'd like to feel like I'm at the symphony for sure.

I know you're only trying to help Mark and the real test is to just get em and try em.

well you hit the nail on the head, the notes are there with the 9850 but like most BA they dont move the same volume of air as a dynamic and the only way to really know if you will like it is to hear them. for me though the 9850 are far better sounding and they will give you the isolation your after too.

at their current crazy price id say well worth finding out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back