Need a amp/dac
Jul 21, 2018 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BPzz

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone a year and a half ago I got my first new pair of headphones (Phillips Fidelio X2's) and love them however the sound has always been on the low side of things and I also want to get a bit more out of them with a amp/dac. I have little to no knowledge on amp's/dac's.

What do you recommend me getting with my headphones? about $200 give or take can go a little higher if needed, send me your suggestions!

Thanks.

BP

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 21
For that price, the only real options are the Schiit Modi 2 + Magni 3 or Modi 2 + Vali 2. Either combo ought to provide a nice boost to sound quality.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 21
One is a dac and one is a amp. You could just use the Magni with the line out of your computer if that is what you’re using.

Jul 21, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 21
I've always found DACs, even in the Modi 2 range, to be a big improvement over onboard sound (and I always have higher end motherboards since I always use an up to date enthusiast gaming PC).

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 21
Unless you are getting a bunch of noise from the computer just a amp would be fine. I don’t find inexpensive dacs do a whole lot increase the sound quality unless you’re having issues which your source and don’t have real detailed oriented headphones . You can always pick one up later if you feel the need. The X2’s aren’t hard to drive so the Magni should drive them to ear bleed level but save your hearing and don’t go there for too long ; )

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 21
Hi everyone a year and a half ago I got my first new pair of headphones (Phillips Fidelio X2's) and love them however the sound has always been on the low side of things and I also want to get a bit more out of them with a amp/dac. I have little to no knowledge on amp's/dac's.

What do you recommend me getting with my headphones? about $200 give or take can go a little higher if needed, send me your suggestions!

Save a bit more and get the JDS Labs O2+ODAC.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #10 of 21
Does it come with all the cables I need?
I don’t think Schiit sends any cables with their stuff. Monoprice has good and cheap cables $7.99 on Amazon for a 1/8” to rca cable.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 21
If you're not hearing any background noise from your pc, you probably don't need the DAC. Essentially you'll need a 3.5mm/1/8" male connector that goes into your PC, that splits into a 2 RCA males that will feed into your amp. You should be able to find them pretty easily.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 21
Aug 2, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 21
Hi everyone my Magni 3 just arrived however I've ran into a problem,

My Phillips Fidelio X2 headphone jack don't fit into the headphone slot at the front of the amp. what adaptor do I need to buy? I think my headphone jack is 3.5mm? I am assuming the adaptor can be bought at any local pc/hardware store?

Also do I plug the amp into the headphone jack on the back of my PC?

Thanks,

BP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back