Need 2nd Opinion on MS-2i
Jul 21, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by daashford0404
Having owned Sr60s and MS2s. I feel that the MS2s are much smoother and linear in their frequency response. They also seem a tad dry. Maybe the lack of those humps plays a part. I just received my RS1s tonite. Hopefully soon I will have a handle on the grado/alessandro hiercharchy.
rs1smile.gif

Perhaps u did like to compare the RS-1s with the GS-1000s
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #32 of 43
Does the MS-2i come with a leather headband? I'm on the fence with these... as much as I love the HF-1 and RS-1, the metal Grados are very interesting. Also, having one that's more neutral and linear would be a treat.

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
Does the MS-2i come with a leather headband? I'm on the fence with these... as much as I love the HF-1 and RS-1, the metal Grados are very interesting. Also, having one that's more neutral and linear would be a treat.

Oh yes...i would like to know if they have the leather headband as well..

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #36 of 43
oh yes....yes yes yes.

Need to get my hands on them babies soon.....

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
What I fail to understand is if you loved the 325i so much, why the MS2i? They both have the same drivers, but the MS2i drivers have a black goop applied to them (discussed earlier) which dampens the treble response. Is that what you consider to be an improvement? A 325i with a recessed treble? I had the 325i and liked it, but got rid of it in favor of RS-2. I can understand wanting to upgrade, but the MS2i is a sidegrade, the only difference being the recessed treble, making it seem more neutral.

um, incorrect.

this has been discussed numerous times previously on this forum and the final word (from John Grado, no less) was that the ms series uses completely different drivers from both the sr and rs series. they are then further treated by having a 'destressing' agent sprayed on.

hence any physical similarities should be entirely coincidental.

do remember that the parallels drawn between the ms2/sr325i and the mspro/rs1 are at best, tenous. they are the opinions of members here, and have no actual basis in reality.

many people do not realise that they can effectively gain a whole new headphone just by fiddling around with the pads. i did not enjoy my ms2s initially. however, when i flipped the pads around, the magic came back. said magic was further improved by purchasing flat pads.

actually, imo, the ms-2 with flats sounds something like the rs-1 with reversed bowls.

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #38 of 43
Great sounding cans, but the extra weight was the only reason I sent mine back. They kept slipping off my ears (even after bending the headband) and I was always aware of them on my head. Allesandro give you a week to try them before returning. Great company to deal with. I also have a pair of MS1's which I love.

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
many people do not realise that they can effectively gain a whole new headphone just by fiddling around with the pads. i did not enjoy my ms2s initially. however, when i flipped the pads around, the magic came back. said magic was further improved by purchasing flat pads.

actually, imo, the ms-2 with flats sounds something like the rs-1 with reversed bowls.

Finally. Someone who agrees on using the flat pads with the MS-2.

Jul 21, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony4563
Great sounding cans, but the extra weight was the only reason I sent mine back. They kept slipping off my ears (even after bending the headband) and I was always aware of them on my head. Allesandro give you a week to try them before returning. Great company to deal with. I also have a pair of MS1's which I love.

Yeah, the weight of the beasts is still something that has me concerned about the MS-2s.

I've been doing a weight study with my MS-1s whereby I add sockets to the height adjusters to simulate the weight of the MS2i and most of the time I don't find the extra weight to be a problem; in fact it more often than not adds some stability since I use reversed Senns 414s and they fit my ears perfectly!

Occasionally though the weight makes itself apparent and I end up removing the sockets for a bit.

My next cans will come with bowls and I will try them(after burn-in)both foreward and reversed. I will also try Todds flats and 414s foreward and reversed, and modded and un-modded. Somewhere in there I should be able to find the "perfect"(heh heh)sound!

The fear about the weight of the MS2i comes with the knowledge that just because I can handle the heft with reversed 414s, I may have a weight problem with any other pad sellection.

Jul 21, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #41 of 43
All this love for the Alessandros makes me want to try the MS2i.

Jul 21, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #42 of 43
The MS2s have a leather band but not as wide as the RS1. I think the MS2s will stay in my collection because of their neutrality. That being said, after a adjustment period I prefer bowls on the MS2s. Flats seem congested and the midrange gets sucked out to an extent.

Jul 21, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Habakkuk
All this love for the Alessandros makes me want to try the MS2i.

Yeah!

From tons of research on the matter; two phrases seem to go together:

"I used to have MS2s." And "I wish I still had MS2s."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back