Need 2.0/2.1 Speaker Recommendations
Sep 21, 2009 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Zoomastigophora

New Head-Fier
I'm shopping around for some 2.0/2.1 speaker setups for my computer. My budget for the speakers is $150-200. I would prefer to be in the $150 range, but if the extra $50 will make an appreciable difference, I'll be willing to make the jump.

My plan is to pair the speakers with the Asus Xonar DX, which I plan to buy with the speakers. I am unwilling to go for any fancy setups of external DACs and pre-amps and all that jazz, just straight sound card to speakers.

Looking around on the forums, I've seen these speakers recommended in my budget:
  1. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 - $149.99
  1. Swan M10 - $109.00
  1. Swan M12 - $99.00
  1. Audioengine A2 - $199.00
  1. M-Audio AV40 - $199.95

Any other recommendations? What are the Pros and Cons of each of the sets I've listed (please only people who have actual experience with them)? Any comparisons would be appreciated too, in particular with regards to the Swan M10 and M12s. Why is the M12 cheaper when it appears to be newer?

Finally, are there any other places to get these speakers for cheaper?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read through this post and to those that respond.

Sep 21, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 35
Logitech z2300. Extreme clarity and sparkle in the highs, sub has been able to hit every frequeny thrown at it so far and holds the notes nicely. Never had any rattling or fluttering. Mids may seem weak to some but you can EQ it out.

Been paired with XFi but will be moving to Xonar very soon..

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 35
In that price range, the m-audio av40 is a very nice little speaker. I have it, and I like it. It has a light midbass hump to compensate for the small woofer, but it sounds warm and nice.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that price range, the m-audio av40 is a very nice little speaker. I have it, and I like it. It has a light midbass hump to compensate for the small woofer, but it sounds warm and nice.

I can never remember the order dimensions are given in so could you tell me what the width, height and depth are on those AV40s? I'm thinking I might not have the physical desk space to place them.

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 35
krk rockits ftw

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 35
I have the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the Audioengine A2's. The A2's sound good, but they are best for near field listening.

The Klipsch on the other hand can really fill a room with a fun sound. They are a lot like Koss Portapro's...a little too warm...a little too colored....but still the best computer speakers I've ever heard. They are also available on Amazon for around $110 the last time I looked.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and the Audioengine A2's. The A2's sound good, but they are best for near field listening.

The Klipsch on the other hand can really fill a room with a fun sound. They are a lot like Koss Portapro's...a little too warm...a little too colored....but still the best computer speakers I've ever heard. They are also available on Amazon for around $110 the last time I looked.

Thanks for the input.

I'm surprised no one has recommended picking the Swan M10s yet. Anyone know how they are compared to the ProMedias?

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingreason /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Logitech z2300. Extreme clarity and sparkle in the highs, sub has been able to hit every frequeny thrown at it so far and holds the notes nicely. Never had any rattling or fluttering. Mids may seem weak to some but you can EQ it out.

You're kidding me. Logitech Z-2300 has "extreme clarity and sparkle"? Have you ever heard true speakers?

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 35
I use my Polk Tsi100s and they are very fine indeed. Just not powered so I have to use receiver. Would like some powered ones to just hit up with my dac.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingreason /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What the **** speakers were you listening to? The z2300 has Z E R O highs. Nada. Non existent. Also the sub is boomy and extreme clarity is the opposite of this system in is entirety.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 35
I've been very happy with my Edirol MA-15D monitors, which are a bit unusual for desktop monitors in that they have an independent 24-bit/192Khz digital input and analog input (with respective volume controls), as well as a dedicated subwoofer output which you can use with any subwoofer. I chose an Energy ESW-8 subwoofer, which I picked up new for $99 (typically sells for $299), and it makes a good combo. Far better than any of the many "computer" speakers I've used or auditioned.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like my Harman Kardon Soundsticks 2. They are great for nearfield listening, but not so good in filling a larger area with sound. They sound good with anything half decent (like a an iPod) as a source.

Amazon.com: Harman Kardon SoundSticks II 2.1 Plug and Play Multimedia Speaker System: Electronics

I still have a set of Harmon Kardon Soundsticks floating around somewhere and have owned several pairs of Klipsch Pro-Media 2's and the 5's.

And to tell you the truth I much prefer the sound of the SoundSticks...I must admit I really do not like the sound of horn tweeters...Way too bright for my taste.

That being said I really do not like speakers that do not have a seperate tweeter and mid-woofer or woofer. LogiTech is a prime example of what I dislike about "full range" satellite speakers. They just do not seem to handle high's with any kind of acceptable sound quality.

But in a near field setting the SoundStick's in my humble opinion blow the Klipsch ProMedia's in the weeds.

The Klipsch's give me listener fatigue really fast...Twenty minutes max. Where as the SoundSticks I can listen to for hours on end.

I had the AudioEngine 2's for about 3 weeks before trading up to the A5's and must admit they sound very good indeed. Especially considering their physical size.

I have the A5's and Mackie MR5's and really am considering buying a pair of the Swan's that are like the A5/MR5's. They are 199.00 bones and if they are anything like my buddy's high end Swan speakers they would be worth consideration...Especially since they are in your price range.

Let me find a link...I have never heard them but for 199.00 bones it would be worth a roll of the dice.

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have a set of Harmon Kardon Soundsticks floating around somewhere and have owned several pairs of Klipsch Pro-Media 2's and the 5's.

And to tell you the truth I much prefer the sound of the SoundSticks...I must admit I really do not like the sound of horn tweeters...Way too bright for my taste.

That being said I really do not like speakers that do not have a seperate tweeter and mid-woofer or woofer. LogiTech is a prime example of what I dislike about "full range" satellite speakers. They just do not seem to handle high's with any kind of acceptable sound quality.

But in a near field setting the SoundStick's in my humble opinion blow the Klipsch ProMedia's in the weeds.

The Klipsch's give me listener fatigue really fast...Twenty minutes max. Where as the SoundSticks I can listen to for hours on end.

I had the AudioEngine 2's for about 3 weeks before trading up to the A5's and must admit they sound very good indeed. Especially considering their physical size.

I have the A5's and Mackie MR5's and really am considering buying a pair of the Swan's that are like the A5/MR5's. They are 199.00 bones and if they are anything like my buddy's high end Swan speakers they would be worth consideration...Especially since they are in your price range.

Let me find a link...I have never heard them but for 199.00 bones it would be worth a roll of the dice.

Thanks for detailed feedback. I hope you find that link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back