Need 2.0/2.1 Speaker Recommendations
Sep 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #31 of 35
This is slightly off-topic, but you seem to know a lot about the Edirols so I'm wondering which DAC is better, the one on my Xonar DX or the one in the Edirol MA-15D? I'm currently using the analog line in and having my Xonar do the conversion.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingreason /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Logitech z2300. Extreme clarity and sparkle in the highs, sub has been able to hit every frequeny thrown at it so far and holds the notes nicely. Never had any rattling or fluttering. Mids may seem weak to some but you can EQ it out.

Been paired with XFi but will be moving to Xonar very soon..

I own a set of these and they simply don't have clarity and sparkle... perhaps HALF of what my grado sr60i's produce or even my dad's 15 year old sony hi-fi.

After EQ, mid sound is VERY MUCH improved but a little 'thin' (like a half size drum kit for kids), but highs are just mushy or NON-EXISTANT.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #33 of 35
I own a pair of z-2300s which are now handed down to my bros computer, but for the 2 years or so that I had them, they were decent for what I paid ($100 CAD, imo at that price you won't find anything better). They got the job done for casual gaming and mp3s, but the mids and highs are weak, and man the bass was just too much even with the knob all the way down. Logitech seems to think muddy, overbearing lows consitutes good bass, which I suppose works from their marketing standpoint b/c their target buyer probably wants lots of power for all that actiony fps goodness, but it certainly didn't translate well to music. But look into an application called srs audio sandbox, it did help squeeze out a bit more juice.

That said, venture a little further and you can get those m-audio av40s, which I got as a gift and I must say they are really fantastic. They're only budget studio monitors, but the sound quality is still much richer and clearer.... now I can actually appreciate all my flac files, which weren't much different to mp3s with my old logitechs, but even with these monitors it's like putting on a pair of glasses after having blurred vision for so long. I also started a thread asking for advice on which sound cards to get as well, I never considered it w/ the z-2300s but I think they're worth it now.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! O.m.g. I couldn't find the swans m200mii anywhere in canada, but I've been blind to this site all along. I don't know if these would stomp over my av40s but I'm enticed.

Swan M200MkII

$229 looks like a pretty decent price to me, I don't think I've seen it that low? Still, that's USD, and w/ shipping+taxes+conversion it'll probably come to at least 300++ CAD?!?..

Anyone who own these speakers want to share thoughts on how it compares to av40s? I still have "gift receipt", but returning my m-audios w/ restocking fee would lose me an additional $20. Sorry to seem if I hijacked thread now, but I read great stuff for the swans awhile back and now I kinda want them too =/ Maybe I should just be happy with the av40s mannn I'd feel a bit guilty for this splurge lol

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #34 of 35
I don't own the M200MkII (clearly lol), but just looking at the specs, I probably couldn't justify the switch. The Swans have more power per channel so they'll probably be louder than the AV40s. The larger mid-woofers contribute to their lower frequency response range so they'll be able to reproduce more of the low-end than the AV40s. But I don't see those differences being significant enough to justify the $300+ CAD you would have to spend. Plus, if you really want low-end, you'll generally need a sub or some really, really expensive bookshelf speakers. It's actually why I opted to get the Edirols in conjunction with a tSc sub. When I want bass, I want bass and it's just not the same if I can't feel it (well the desk vibrating doesn't count).

May 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #35 of 35
My Klipsch 2.1 Promedia with my D4 mamba DAC sounds simply fantastic.Awesome valued PC audio speakers.But if they were too go dead on me.I would probably go with the Audio Engine A5s.And M-Audio has some really nice sounding 2.0 monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back