Neck Deep in Schiit: Gungir Balanced DAC and Mjolnir Balanced Amp Announced!
Mar 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #91 of 306
^ Thank you.

My original question wasn't whether both inputs could be used at the same time. W(hy)TF would you need it to do that?

Multiple sources. If you had a SACD player with it's output (for instance RCA), but were also using a balanced DAC (XLR output) with a computer or something for non SACD playback it would be nice to have them both plugged in and be able to flip a switch to change inputs, but this amp does not have that capability.

Now that I look at it, it was oddly worded, perhaps Jason could clarify that bit in the notes on their site.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #93 of 306
That's how I understood his comment, we'll wait for clarification I suppose.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #94 of 306
Jasons's response seemed to indicate that the amp will have both types of input and that the switch on the back near the inputs would select which line in is processed.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #95 of 306
To clarify further: 

1. There are two inputs on the back of the amp--RCA, and one XLR. 
2. Both of them are tied together.
3. There's a switch to short the inverting inputs to ground so you can use the RCA inputs. It does not select between inputs, it only shorts to ground.
4. While it's possible to have two inputs connected, it's not a good idea. If the source equipment is on, you'll be trying to drive the output of one source to another. If the alternate source is off, you have no idea what the state of the output is. It might be disconnected via a relay, or you could have a relatively low-impedance path to ground. Hence, "choose one."

As to why we chose to do it this way--simplicity. This is an amp, not a source selector. The balanced/se switch is on the back of the amp.

If we went on adding a ton of features, like switchable gain, or a real input selector, or single-ended outputs, we'd end up with a more complex, sonically compromised, more expensive product. That isn't what Mjolnir is about. It's about maximum balanced performance at minimum price. Period.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #96 of 306
The statement amp is going to have to be a ripper because the Mjolnir looks awesome.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #97 of 306
And that's what we love about Schitt. Bravo Jason!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
It's about maximum balanced performance at minimum price. Period.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #98 of 306
Few more questions for Jason on the Mjolnir.

1.  Do the balanced pre outs also follow the same rule of not being able to be converted to single ended?  Should I worry about amps that have balanced inputs but might not actually have balanced topology all the way through?

2.  If I'm using the pre outs to drive an amp and speakers, is there a way to mute the headphone outs so I don't have to unplug my cans?

3.  Even after reading the FAQ I'm still not sure how hot this thing gets.  Was that an on par with the Asgard?  Cooler than?  Just add bacon and eggs?

They both look great.  Might be hard to hold out for the statement gear.

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #100 of 306
If a power amp can takes balanced input you are fine. Regardless of whether the topology is just the same amp but doubled up and inverted, or a true differential design, it should be fine. A balanced input means they are handling the + and - in some form or another. The issue will be if you try to use a balanced to singled ended adaptor to connect to a single ended amp, that would be bad.

Being a solid state differential design I would imagine the output impedance to be very low regardless if headphone or preamp out, and considering most power amps have an input impedance anywhere between 10k to 100k it's a non issue with this type of circuit.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #101 of 306

Quote:
The statement amp is going to have to be a ripper because the Mjolnir looks awesome.

Yup. Honestly, I have to say I'm more impressed by the Mjolnir than the Gungnir just based on the announcement and specs. The Gungnir "just" seems like a very good value, well executed but conventional DAC design, kinda similar to things like the M-DAC and W4S DAC 2 but at a lower price. On the other hand, the Mjolnir looks pretty darn special and revolutionary already, almost like a statement product already. Of course, we will have to wait for the actual units to come out and see how they perform.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #102 of 306
I am really looking forward to reading the reviews about these products, and i have decided that these two products ( if they do well) will probly be my end game gear, but i keep on wondering with all this support for speaker amps will schiit ever do a speaker amp themselfs?

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #103 of 306

Quote:
Few more questions for Jason on the Mjolnir.

1.  Do the balanced pre outs also follow the same rule of not being able to be converted to single ended?

Yes. Boom.

Should I worry about amps that have balanced inputs but might not actually have balanced topology all the way through?

Depends entirely on the input topology, but that's a question for the other manufacturer.

2.  If I'm using the pre outs to drive an amp and speakers, is there a way to mute the headphone outs so I don't have to unplug my cans?

Nope.

3.  Even after reading the FAQ I'm still not sure how hot this thing gets.  Was that an on par with the Asgard?  Cooler than?  Just add bacon and eggs?

Cooler than Asgard.

They both look great.  Might be hard to hold out for the statement gear.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #105 of 306

Quote:
Yup. Honestly, I have to say I'm more impressed by the Mjolnir than the Gungnir just based on the announcement and specs. The Gungnir "just" seems like a very good value, well executed but conventional DAC design, kinda similar to things like the M-DAC and W4S DAC 2 but at a lower price. On the other hand, the Mjolnir looks pretty darn special and revolutionary already, almost like a statement product already. Of course, we will have to wait for the actual units to come out and see how they perform.

I'd take a long hard look at the specs of stuff in Gungnir's price range (and 2X), and see if you can find *any* true clock regeneration, outside of the hocus-pocus that "well, ASRC and delta-sigma mean it doesn't matter anyway," or "we gots magic stuff in the chip (that you conveniently can't measure) that make it all good." If a DAC doesn't have clock regeneration,it should be most properly compared to Bifrost.

Gungnir is the only DAC with both VCXO and VCO regeneration, and intelligent switching between the two. The difference between a properly regenerated clock and no regeneration is not subtle, and the technical achievement is no small feat. The difference between a DAC with only VCXO regeneration is that Gungnir will work with all of your sources. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back