Natural sounding phones? (DVD, etc)
Oct 4, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I wouldn't recommend the V6 as a "natural" sounding headphone. They're too analytical and harsh in the mids/highs, IMO. I second the recommendation for the HD 497.

I also would highly recommend the Beyer DT250-80. Their treble "roll-off" isn't a bad as people say and, in fact, more closely resembles the natural treble roll-off experienced by the human ear in many environments than a lot of other headphones that are more expensive.

I can't remember if I've heard 497 or not.

I would have recomended DT250-80 or the Ultrasone that I'm recently infatuated with also if budget was less restricted. For my taste, this is the next step after the V6 and the intermediate steps are not worthwhile.

Oct 4, 2002 at 8:12 AM Post #17 of 26
MacDEF is right about the Beyer DT 250-80, it's a very good headphone, but it's 50 or 60 % above GanChan's budget.

I'd try the Audio-Technica ATH-A55 which costs about 100 US-Dollars. Regrettably, I only know its predecessor, the ATH-A5, but I like the A5 more than the DT250-80. They both have non-aggressive and smooth treble, a generally rich and full sound and very deep bass response. Both sound quite natural and unfatiguing but the ATH-A5 has a vastly superior soundstage that is wider and deeper. And I'd say that the A5 has a bit more bass punch and slam than the DT250-80. I prefer the A5.

Neither the old A5 nor the new A55 are very well known around here but here is a review by dohminator.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:24 PM Post #18 of 26
I am enjoying reading these responses.

The 497 and Grado 60 sound intriguing, as an open-design alternative to the V6. (I will look for a direct comparison between these three in the archives.) I think open phones will give me more of a "spread-out" soundscape; I like my V6 a lot but the closed design does lead to kind of a bottled-up feeling. Maybe it's more psychological than measurable. My ideal sonic environment for movies is when I feel that the actors are standing in my living room, as opposed to living entirely between my ears. If that makes any sense. That's one thing I like about the KSC-50, and I think it may be the open design at work.

I wouldn't mind using the KSC-50 as my movie phones, except that I think I can find a little more balanced sound elsewhere....either that, or I just want to spend some money on more phones.
wink.gif

And of course, any of these phones will sound great with music. Can't forget the music....

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:01 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by GanChan
I like my V6 a lot but the closed design does lead to kind of a bottled-up feeling. Maybe it's more psychological than measurable. My ideal sonic environment for movies is when I feel that the actors are standing in my living room, as opposed to living entirely between my ears.

The reason it feels bottled up is because you have two drivers pointed directly at your ears that are somewhat accurate. Many of the other headphones create out of the head experience but most sacrifice accuracy. That accuracy that is troubling you now is a virtue for Dolby Headphone processing. If you're not familliar with Dolby Headphone, visit Dolby's site and check out the DH threads here in the Source section.

Oct 4, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #20 of 26
For DVDs the headphone I like by far the best is the Sennheiser HD570. Supreme comfort, deep thundering bass, wide airy soundstage, great details. IMO there is no better headphone for movies under $100. I bought mine refurbished for $50 a year ago. You should find them for way under $100 without much trouble if you are patient. My next favorite are the older Sennheiser 5x5 series, namely the HD525/535/545/565. These, if you can find them used, are more balanced and will serve for music better. They lack the deep bass, but they have the same airy soundstage you are after. My next choice would be the HD497, which aren't as comfortable as the above. Grados I do not like for movies. Your KSC-50s are no slouch though when it comes to movies.

If you want to use the same pair of headphones for both music and movies, I would suggest selling the V6s and springing for a used or new HD580 (usually around $100-130) and a JMT amp. That, IMO is a combination worth stretching your budget for.

Oct 4, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by slindeman
If you want to use the same pair of headphones for both music and movies, I would suggest selling the V6s and springing for a used or new HD580 (usually around $100-130) and a JMT amp. That, IMO is a combination worth stretching your budget for.

I agree completely. I like the HD600 a lot for movies. A used HD580 and a basic META42 with crossfeed would be more money than he's wanting to spend but excellent for both music and movies. Selling the V6 to help fund this move is a good plan if you don't need the V6 for portability or need a closed headphone for whatever reason. (Explore the Dolby Headphone thing I mentioned even if you go this route.)

Oct 4, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #23 of 26
GanChan...

...welcome to Head-Fi! I understand your situation quite well. The Koss (in my case the Portapro, which is very similar to the KSC-35) have a very natural (apart from their accentuated bass), open sound, which is hard to meet with any other Headphones. I have decided to be sure that the reason for this is their very open design that gives the sound waves a small reflecting surface. Of course the quality of the drivers has to be taken into account, too. But there are better phones with higher resolving drivers, and barely one of them reaches that openness and self-evidence of the Koss.

I prefere open phones because of their better, clearer, more natural sound. There may be some highly sophisticated closed designs (I think of the Sony R10 which I found very convincing in a 3-minute listening session) which probably would meet my sonic notions, but nevertheless they don't have that specific openness. It's reserved for such small supraaural earphones which at the same time have a relatively wide bandwidth and are well balanced. I'm sorry to say that, but you probably won't find any similar headphone, even in much higher classes.

Grados offer a somewhat similar design, but the sound is quite different. They haven't that airiness and openness, but provide a refined sonic character with increased resolution and a closer, tighter presentation. Even their balance is quite different, they have accentuated highs, while the bass is also a bit emphasized, though not comparable to the Koss. But they're worth a try. I have the SR 80 and like them, despite their mediocre comfort and their slight colorations (I find voices a bit more natural with the Portapro). And they're open phones, quite obviously!

Or, yes:
Quote:

If you want to use the same pair of headphones for both music and movies, I would suggest selling the V6s and springing for a used or new HD580...

I agree competely!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Oct 4, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #24 of 26
Greetings

In the rush to enter headphone lalaland, I dont think anyone has asked the crucial question. How do you listen to your DVDs Ganchan?

My first post! Apart from my post flogging some phones (sublte plug, if you live in London look it up) on the Gear For Sale section.

Oct 4, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #25 of 26
If I understand your question correctly...I listen to DVDs through a 300-watt Panasonic 5.1 system, connected to a Toshiba SD-2800 player via digital coax.

If I didn't understand your question correctly, then I'll just say...with my ears.
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 26
No sorry I asked because people look at DVDs on computers as well.

I hope you havent got 300 watts going through your headphone socket!

If your budget is under 100 dollars maybe Sennheiser HD497 or Philips HP890 are worth considering. I dont know what the KSC50 sounds like though.

But the phones that would really work well for DVD would be outside your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back