Narrowed to two DACs, need some opinions.
Aug 7, 2007 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Shike

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, my funds have taken a slight turn for the worse. It looks like my decision is between two competitors. I'm hoping to get some thoughts on the both of them . . .

First, the Entech Number Cruncher 205.2 . . .

or

Monica II NOS . . .

Thoughts? Anyone have on hand experience with either or both to tell me how they tend to stack up?

Thanks for your time.

-Shike

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 10
I have not heard the Monica. But I know the Entech is a good DAC at the current closeout price on Ebay.

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Sinnott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a big fan of non-oversampling. BUT.... they tend to me more critical of the transport you use.

Would this be due to jitter or some other reason? Just curious.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would this be due to jitter or some other reason? Just curious.

Nos dacs in general are more critical because of the load and yes, probably jitter. They don't have any filtering in the circuits.

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 10
I have the 203.2 the main difference between it and the 205.2, is that the 203.2 has a 3 pole filter and the 205.2 has a 5 pole filter.

I've never listened to any other DAC's so I can't compare it against anything else, but I can say I noticed a pretty big difference in my computer as source (EMU0404 soundcard) For the price they are going for on ebay they are well worth it.

Then only kind of negative thing about the DAC, if you want to call it that, the output is really hot, so you have to keep the volume knob on your amp really low

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then only kind of negative thing about the DAC, if you want to call it that, the output is really hot, so you have to keep the volume knob on your amp really low

I don't think that will be a problem.
wink.gif

Since I don't have the money RIGHT NOW, do you think I will still be able to find 205.2s when that ebay listing ends?

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that will be a problem.
wink.gif

Since I don't have the money RIGHT NOW, do you think I will still be able to find 205.2s when that ebay listing ends?

They seem to pop up every now and again, so I don't think I would worry to much if you don't have the funds right now.

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Hey I've got the usb version of the monica here it's pretty nice sounding I've just gotten back into Digital audio after avoiding it for quite a while so I've been listening to analog for the last decade. This isn't to say anything about the quality of digital vs analog just that to my ears the monica isn't completely different in presentation. In contrast to my older ES series sony disk player that always sounded a bit to Hi Fi if you know what I mean. I do think that the NOS sound lends itself to a more mellow play back. It sounds nice so if I were going to listen to Slayer I may find it lacking but given that most of my musical tastes lead more towards the jazz side of the spectrum I seems to fit quite well.

I haven't had a shoot out between the cd player and the monica yet maybe I should get the CD player out of the closet.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 203.2 the main difference between it and the 205.2, is that the 203.2 has a 3 pole filter and the 205.2 has a 5 pole filter.

I've never listened to any other DAC's so I can't compare it against anything else, but I can say I noticed a pretty big difference in my computer as source (EMU0404 soundcard) For the price they are going for on ebay they are well worth it.

If I recall correctly the numbercrunchers have a output over 2v. The Monica on the other hand has a very low output, around .2 or .3v. I personally use a passive pre with a stepped attenuator, 2db per step. I had to turn it up 5 nothches, or 10db higher to get the same output as the other 2v DACs I tried.

I really liked the Monica II. I used it in my PC rig for maybe 4-6 months and then upgraded to the USB Monica.

Jared

Users who are viewing this thread

Back