Narrow escape from the Sony R10!
Nov 22, 2001 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

M Rael

500+ Head-Fier
I had a chance to buy the R10 for $1500, and it was touch and go to whether I would make the leap or not. The Etymotic TUS (Thread-of-Unusual-Size) actually helped me make up my mind, and for that alone I'm thankfull. I'd also like to hope that I've learned something in these past years about rushing in to buy audio gear where even angels fear to purchase, and I think I have done that too. Anyway, even though this site has inspired me to spend on more than one occasion, it recently inspired me not to spend, and I see now how valuable THAT is! So thank you Head-Fi.

p.s. if anyone is interested to know who the seller of these R10's is, just let me know and I'll put you in contact with him. I'm certain the R10 is amazing for certain kinds of listening and certain kinds of music, but for me, portability is critical.

Nov 22, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 53
The price is quite good considering the full retail price.
But... it's still too much for me.
I'll consider it for $500.
I think I should build up my CD collection first.
tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2001 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by wilbur
Are you referring to Ebay Item # 1295863004 ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes Wilbur, I am
smily_headphones1.gif

This guy didnt get a single bid on them in a week (opening price was $1600, BuyNow was $2500.) So I made him an offer. Whats happening now is that we are actually still negotiating a little bit, but he has some weird ideas about how the payment should be handled. Something smells a little fishy in the state of Denmark (well he's a Fin in fact.)

Nov 23, 2001 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 53
Quote:

Narrow escape from the Sony R10!

nobody escapes sony! NOBODY!

<evil laughter> mwaaaahaaaahaaa! </evil laughter>

Nov 23, 2001 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter

nobody escapes sony! NOBODY!
<evil laughter> mwaaaahaaaahaaa! </evil laughter>

Tell me about it:

f1s.jpg

I also had the CD3000, my portable is a Sony, my home cdp is a Sony, my 5.1 receiver is a Sony, so is the DVD player, also the 6 disc changer in the living room is a Sony. And I forgot, my TV is a Sony.. I have Sony on the brain I think.

Nov 24, 2001 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 53
you got me beat i think, although my tv is a sony wega, my surround reciever is a denon, and my dvdp is a panasonic.

those f1s look tempting.

Nov 24, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 53
Got rid of your CD3000?
I have learned to truly love mine, I think I will keep 'em even when I fall in love with other (pricey) headphones.

The F1 look great, but I heard they're pretty bad soundwize... what do you say?

Nov 24, 2001 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by beowulf
Got rid of your CD3000?
The F1 look great, but I heard they're pretty bad soundwize... what do you say?

Yeah I sold the CD3000's just this past weekend. They are fine, but I'd *prefer* to listen (everything else being equal) to open design headphones over enclosed or ear canal types. The sound of open phones (or even vented, in the case of Grado) has an addicting freedom about it. The problem is that everthing isnt equal. There are only a couple of open cans on the market, and the major one (K1000) requires special amplification. The other is the F1, and then theres the Technics.. that Star Wars looking one someone posted on about 2 months ago.

The MDR-F1 is actually a nice sounding headphone, but you need to mate it with the right sort of amp. Thats my experience. I have a Apheared Penguin amp.. its a special one with a quad Burr-Brown op amp section and a gain potential of 16 (uses 2 9V's.) With that sucker, the F1's suddenly came into their own. Now I love them. In fact they replaced my CD3000's, thats why I sold them. Call me crazy, but thats the conviction of my ears. I look forward to buying some Super Audio CD headphones at some point (or at least Super-Marketing Headphones (!)), but till then I'm happy with the F1 and the 325. I could spend a ton more. I could do it tomorrow. But the F1 has me sitting on my wallet for now. I look forward to future spending though, so I'll keep hanging around here. Thats for sure.

And by the way, that avatar pic is me, but heres another one to prove I'm not proud:

dump.jpg

Nov 24, 2001 at 5:13 AM Post #12 of 53
Is that a Kawasaki? My first bike was a Yamaha XT225 Serow, hence the name...
smily_headphones1.gif
I used to go out to the local motocross track with my father all the time, and just ride around when the serious riders were taking breaks or not riding. I often wish I still had an off-road bike, but I don't currently have the money for one.

Back on topic, since the F1s have such low impedence (nominal 12 ohm), I have a feeling that a really powerful amp would wake them up a lot.

Nov 24, 2001 at 5:30 AM Post #13 of 53
sony F1's: the poor man's K1000
biggrin.gif
. I remember that budgie said good things about the F1 as well. I'll have to try them out sometime.

Nov 24, 2001 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
sony F1's: the poor man's K1000
biggrin.gif

Well thats just your opinion. (just kidding)
Like all open designs the F1 lacks the bass-drama of a Grado, but it's still good. The detail level is very good.

p.s. its a CR250
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2001 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 53
Nothing I ownis labelled Sony, however the tube in my Toshiba video monitor is undoubtedly a trinitron.

Oh and I have those sony earbuds the 888's but other than that nada... Of course that stack of cdrs I bought were sony, and that yo yo ma disk I love so much is sony too....

So I guess they got me too... Damnit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back