nano 6g impression
Nov 9, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #91 of 129
Swapped for some cash and my old Cowon E2.

The Nano is a nice player but I didn't really want to keep it.

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #93 of 129
Nov 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #94 of 129
Ah ok, I remember actually commenting on that problem a while back. Im pretty sure that the build quality of the new nanos will improve later on in about a month or so when enough people bring them back or complain enough or something.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #95 of 129

Quote:
Hi, im going to debunk some myths about this

the nano6g has a 105mah output battery, the Sansa fuze has a 550mah output. I could name half a dozen brand name mp3 players that "blow the nano 6g out of the water".  Its soundstage is not spacious, its output is literally 1/4 that of the fuze. 

Having said that, I've always wanted a small tiny little touch just like it, however...its apple.  I'll avoid it like the plague.  It's very weak and if you are using 16 ohm earbuds, you might get an astounding 10 hours of battery life when NOT USING apple lossless.  With it, more like 6 hours.  The nano6g looks awesome, great concept idea, terrible performance.  

To be honest your statement gives you away. I have a feeling if someone gave you a lump of poo to listen to you would say it is better sounding than the nano!

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #96 of 129

Quote:
Ah ok, I remember actually commenting on that problem a while back. Im pretty sure that the build quality of the new nanos will improve later on in about a month or so when enough people bring them back or complain enough or something.

I hope so because they are nice players - having one cr@p out on me, though, just kinda set me up for worrying about how long the second one would last. Maybe just a day past its warranty.

In all the other players that I've owned - Sansas, Samsungs, Cowons, Sonys etc. I've never once had a button fail on me despite quite long-term heavy use.

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #97 of 129
As of about 30 minutes ago, my iPod nano 6G's sleep/wake button is stuck. Been googling. This is definitely a widespread issue. Of course, I'm 3 weeks passed the return window now. Now I'm truly kicking myself for not returning it. 

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #98 of 129
I think this may be a big problem for Apple - it could I suppose just be a tiny amount of Nanos that are faulty, but now it's been out a couple of months I'm sure there will be more and more cases.

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #99 of 129

I think this may be a big problem for Apple - it could I suppose just be a tiny amount of Nanos that are faulty, but now it's been out a couple of months I'm sure there will be more and more cases.

Meh, not a big problem, actually, not a problem at all. The average consumer that buys a new iPod nano isn't going to really be aware of the small percentage of people who also have this problem; unless they are told or read some news post about the hardware issues they won't really know, and they'll just think they have a faulty unit and either buy another or take it back.

Nov 14, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #100 of 129
The issue of quality control with Apple products resurfaces with each new release - not quite so common with Macs, although they have had their fair share, but portable media kit seems to be one area where they just arent paying the factories to do the necessary QA checks on each batch, esp when they are shipping a new model. There is no denying that Apple's marketing works, but it shouldnt drive their production schedules to the point where they are releasing stocks of suspect gear on the basis that they can replace any duds with new units - companies like Dell did this for years and it erodes brand loyalty, IMO.

In terms of SQ, every Nano *should* sound like every other Nano from that generation, but we have had numerous posts on Head-Fi where people appear to be listening to two very different players - its much rarer to see 180 degree differences of opinion for other players. You might not like 'warm and bassy' in player 'X', but we can usually agree that player X sounds that way - a lot of the descriptions of the Nano SQ over the last couple of generations have been wildly conflicting.

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #101 of 129
Apple's build quality is definitely hit and miss. I honestly think I've had more run ins with AppleCare than I have with all other companies customer service combined. I had to exchange an iPod shuffle that died the first day I owned it several years ago. I had to have a 3G iPod nano replaced twice due to tilted screens that generation was known for. The third one still had a tilted screen but by that time I had given up since every 3G iPod nano I saw had a tilted screen. Now this one having a defective button, which seems to be widespread. 

With Macs, I have a long bad history. My first MacBook had a faulty DVD writer and the plastic started to crack, discolor, and warp. All around the vent due to heat. Apple's repair center sent it back to me in worse shape than I sent it to them in. It got replaced after going back and forth a few times. A few months later the new MacBook's case started to separate. It took 4 trips to the repair facility for them to finally send me back a machine that didn't look like it had been dragged across asphalt. Apple offered a replacement, but that was during the time MacBooks were being sold with Intel X3100 GPUs. In real world performance, they were worse than the awful GMA950 I had in my MacBook, so I refused replacement. Several months after that, the case again became to crack significantly around the vent. It went out for repair. Came back to me scratched up, as always. But this time the casing over the optical drive slot opening was so warped I couldn't put discs in. The repair center kept scratching the system up, so Apple finally replaced it. This time with the aluminum unibody MacBook. Everything was going great until a firmware update for the DVD writer a year ago. The firmware update killed the drives ability to read discs. Apple replaced the drive and scratched up the bottom of the computer. Had to drive an hour to the Apple store for them to replace the bottom case. A few months ago the battery started to swell up. Apple told me to go pound sand since I was out of warranty, despite the fact that it too is a well known and widespread issue, and the battery only had 120 cycles and was at "98%" health. Unfortunately, I need to be able to support Macs, so I had to eat the cost of a new battery. 

I haven't had any real issues with iPhones. My original iPhone still works. Wifi doesn't work any more. It did for nearly 3 years. Battery is still as good as the day I bought it. My iPhone 4 works great so far. My iPad works great so far. 

Oh well. I have my appointment set for tomorrow. We'll see what happens. A refurbished replacement will be unacceptable. I don't want a replacement at all, seeing as how this is bound to happen again. I'd rather have a refund or store credit.

Nov 15, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #102 of 129
My friend's wife has my Nano now... she really wanted one and was going to buy one new anyway - I told her about my first one's failure but she was ok with that.

At least we have the year's warranty and it's from a store so it can always go back - but for a refund next time.

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #103 of 129
Gotta love AppleCare. Drove an hour to the Apple Store, waited in line for 45 minutes, got called, was in the process of having it exchanged for a new one and..... wait for it... they didn't have it in stock. They would only swap it for the same one. Nothing else. Had to drive an hour home. Spend half an hour calling Apple and setting up the mail in service. Then drive another 15 minutes to a UPS store, took 20 minutes there, then drive home. A whole day wasted thanks to Apple's poor build quality. And what have I heard from Apple so far? Not even a "sorry". 

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #104 of 129
That sucks... I think they should have offered a refund.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #105 of 129

Quote:
Gotta love AppleCare. Drove an hour to the Apple Store, waited in line for 45 minutes, got called, was in the process of having it exchanged for a new one and..... wait for it... they didn't have it in stock. They would only swap it for the same one. Nothing else. Had to drive an hour home. Spend half an hour calling Apple and setting up the mail in service. Then drive another 15 minutes to a UPS store, took 20 minutes there, then drive home. A whole day wasted thanks to Apple's poor build quality. And what have I heard from Apple so far? Not even a "sorry". 

Free yourself!  The revolution is upon us.  Join the Brotherhood!  Break those shackles!!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back