Naming files/folders in Windows Explorer- any way of removing cap and/or extending number of characters allowed?
Jan 23, 2009 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

continuing on from the title, this cap (what exactly is it?) causes problems when I create converted audio files- ie .FLAC to 320 mp3 files- in the root folder (using dbpoweramp's batch converter), and then wish to manually select and move them into a newly created folder, getting the prompt that one or more files cannot be transferred as their name is too long! Frustrating.

My way round this, though arduous and time consuming, was to go to rename the file, copy it, rename the file to a (track) number, move it into new folder, go to rename file and paste copied title. Then do this for each file (of album) I wanted to move that was problematic. Up until just now, with the folders/files this problem has reared it's head with now, this worked pretty good, transferring most of the origin file name to the moved file with, maybe, a couple or so characters cut off the end but certainly enough preservation to identify them and ensure segregation by unique ID.

However, now I'm, using the above technique, only getting each moved file to retain the first quarter of the characters of it's original name before moving! This is a problem, as I'm now so restricted to the number of charcters I can use to name these files that I'm gona have to call them just by their track number- never mind the awkwardness and time consuming nature of this process!

So anyone reveal to me a) whether the naming cap can be removed or expanded and b) whether there is more efficiency I can learn, within the current parameters of naming file/folders in windows explorer, to avoid this unsavory situation in the future.

N.B.// On a linked but separate note, the names you give files in the place that you store them and/or the continous name, going through the folder hierarchy, this is different and independent to the ID3 tag you prescribe to the files before ripping, yes? I'm confused a bit about this.

Cheers!
smile_phones.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 17
As far as I know, most software under 2K/XP/Vista can only handle Max Path 260 and Max Name 256 (though the OSs themselves can all support 32000 character file names). The only software I know that can handle 32k file/path name-lengths is IE.

Why not just shorten the folder/file length?

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 17
File name and ID3 tag are separate things. Even though Windows allows up to 255 characters for filenames, I've found that anything over 253 can cause problems. Are you moving the files themselves, or folders and sub-folders as well? Windows includes the folder names as part of the 253 character limit if so. Characters such as quotation marks, ampersands, etc. cause Windows to choke. Spaces count as characters in filenames. What ID3 version are you using? I believe that ID3 v1 has a limit on track name length. ID3 v2 doesn't have this limit, but Windows has problems with ID3 v2.4 and its Unicode support.

Jan 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
File name and ID3 tag are separate things. Even though Windows allows up to 255 characters for filenames, I've found that anything over 253 can cause problems. Are you moving the files themselves, or folders and sub-folders as well? Windows includes the folder names as part of the 253 character limit if so. Characters such as quotation marks, ampersands, etc. cause Windows to choke. Spaces count as characters in filenames. What ID3 version are you using? I believe that ID3 v1 has a limit on track name length. ID3 v2 doesn't have this limit, but Windows has problems with ID3 v2.4 and its Unicode support.

Thanks for the info, explanation and clarification! I think where I've gotton confused is with the track names and identification as you view them within their folders in Windows Explorer! The ripping of CD process I have is, prescribing the destination of the audio files, before you commence ripping (or, at least, that is the best and most efficient way I do it now; I did start out ripping files without pre-assigning such a location ie having to create such, post-ripping, and manually move the files into that).

For e.g., you have a new Frank Zappa album called 'Zoot Allures', say. So you create a file destination for these to-be-ripped audio files in advance, on the hard-drive/location you want the ripped files to go to (so, root folder, 'Frank Zappa'. secondary folder, within that one, 'Zoot Allures'). However, of course, just by the independent nature of the folders and their content, you don't name the resultant audio files/tracks, in Windows Explorer, as you do, in effect, the Artist name and Album name. These appear named and detailed in your folders as you view in Windows Explorer, but I think I've now fully realised that this is an independent name to the destination pathway/continous file name, through the folder hierarchy in Windows, and is an 'ID3 tag', separate and not part of the file location pathway/name! So, though an audio file ID3 tag may include Artist name, Album name etc, aswell as track number and/or name, this is all independent and dissociative of the file location pathway/continous name, that should end at album name or disc number, wher tertiary folders are included for separate discs in a multi-disc compilation, for e.g. Is this right?

I think where I'm going wrong- or clashing with the constraints of folder/file pathway character limitation, rather- is having tertiary or quartertiary folders, within the folder hierarchy for my .FLAC archival files, for containing and locating my mp3 file versions of albums! As a result, the continous location pathway name for these audio files, in these folders, is accumulating to, oft, past the cap, with the artist name (root folder), the album name for my .FLAC files (secondary folders) and then the album name for my folder containing the mp3 files, within the secondary folder [or tertiary, perhaps, if it's artist name>album name> disc number> disc number mark 2 (for mp3 files)].

Having identified this- which, I'm pretty sure is the cause of the predicament-, I suppose I'll have to run 2 different archives/libraries for my .FLAC files and mp3 files! Chore! And that would, to the extend of my knowledge (as, as far as I know, you cannot program a batch converter to process each folder being converted into separte, new folders/homes), which is going mean the conversion process is gona be limited to one at a time!

That, or I abandon my mp3 file archive, keep the .FLAC one and then when I wish to transfer files to a player that have to converted into a different codec first, I can program the converter to set the destination for the converted files to my player-necessary folders preset up on it, first, of course- directly. Again, this would be resticted to one folder at a time, as far as I know though.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 17
I think you've got it figured out. My file hierarchy consists of root>artist>album>disc (if required for multi-disc albums). In the album subfolder the filename is the song name (which is the same as the track name in my ID3 tags). Most of my filenames do not have a track number at the beginning. I organize my songs by telling Windows Explorer to list the songs in order of track number, which Explorer gets from the ID3 tag. I use ID3 v2.3 for my tags. I'm anal about my tags and use a small free utility called MP3 Tag Tools to edit my tags (if required). This also helps if I run into duplicate song names or album names. I just change the ID3 tag by adding the artist's name in front of the song name or album name (e.g. Eric Clapdon's Greatest Hits).
I listen to Flac or CD at home and in the office, but almost exclusively to 320kbs mp3 portably. Since I have large hard drives, I batch converted my Flac files to mp3 in their own root directory. I.e. I have two root directories, one all Flac and one all mp3. If you wished to do this, I believe you would have to delete all your existing mp3 subfolders and then batch convert your flac folders to the new directory, in effect duplicating your flac library to an mp3 library.

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

I think you've got it figured out. My file hierarchy consists of root>artist>album>disc (if required for multi-disc albums). In the album subfolder the filename is the song name (which is the same as the track name in my ID3 tags). Most of my filenames do not have a track number at the beginning. I organize my songs by telling Windows Explorer to list the songs in order of track number, which Explorer gets from the ID3 tag. I use ID3 v2.3 for my tags. I'm anal about my tags and use a small free utility called MP3 Tag Tools to edit my tags (if required). This also helps if I run into duplicate song names or album names. I just change the ID3 tag by adding the artist's name in front of the song name or album name (e.g. Eric Clapdon's Greatest Hits).
I listen to Flac or CD at home and in the office, but almost exclusively to 320kbs mp3 portably. Since I have large hard drives, I batch converted my Flac files to mp3 in their own root directory. I.e. I have two root directories, one all Flac and one all mp3. If you wished to do this, I believe you would have to delete all your existing mp3 subfolders and then batch convert your flac folders to the new directory, in effect duplicating your flac library to an mp3 library.

Thanks for the above! You've helped me clarify and reinforce my thinking and understanding with that! I am gona embark on the same organisational system as yourself and create a whole new and independent root directory for my mp3 files, as you say, what will mirror the .FLAC one. I'm confident I understand how to go about that and that you can batch convert all .FLAC files to the root folder of the new root directory, before then having to organise th files into their respective new folders and segregate them all (so long as they are tagged- which they should be if the .FLAC version they are being converted from have tags- they should all transfer and be present in the root folder of the new directory, with no overwriting etc).

However, I have one question for you; how do you instruct Windows to list tracks in their subfolders to be listed in track order and not alphabetically? I would prefer this form of listing to the current (default?) alphabetical one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

I'm happy to have helped. Open Windows Explorer. Open your music folder. Go to the "view" tab at the top. Scroll down to "Arrange Icons by". Select "Track Number".

Thanks for the explanation but I'm afraid I don't get that option when I go into view, from root folder through to album/disc subfolders. You mention 'your music' folder, however. Is this option only available for your core hard-drive ie not for secondary, external hard-drives (which is where I am storing my music archive- both .FLAC and now mp3, in separate directories)?

EDIT: Also, an inquiry on a separate note, you know once you've ripped and/or tagged audio files (and they've been assigned to an appropriate subfolder; this might have required renaming/retagging to achieve with my old system that, in some-frequent cases, clashed with the character cap), as far as Windows Explorer is concerned, is that name it then, final? I've found I've renamed files- e.g. to track number- to transfer them- then I clearly retag them, usually using Mp3 Tag, and, in Windows, this isn't updated, ie the audio files do not take on the naming of the tag and remain what they were named/tagged before! Is there a way of enacting this tag change to display in Windows or is it stuck now? Like a refresh function or something? This is a problem when I'm reconverting all my .FLAC files to mp3- to the new root directory for mp3 files- as overwriting occurs etc. Be appreciative of any clarification you can give me here!

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the explanation but I'm afraid I don't get that option when I go into view, from root folder through to album/disc subfolders. You mention 'your music' folder, however. Is this option only available for your core hard-drive ie not for secondary, external hard-drives (which is where I am storing my music archive- both .FLAC and now mp3, in separate directories)?

EDIT: Also, an inquiry on a separate note, you know once you've ripped and/or tagged audio files (and they've been assigned to an appropriate subfolder; this might have required renaming/retagging to achieve with my old system that, in some-frequent cases, clashed with the character cap), as far as Windows Explorer is concerned, is that name it then, final? I've found I've renamed files- e.g. to track number- to transfer them- then I clearly retag them, usually using Mp3 Tag, and, in Windows, this isn't updated, ie the audio files do not take on the naming of the tag and remain what they were named/tagged before! Is there a way of enacting this tag change to display in Windows or is it stuck now? Like a refresh function or something? This is a problem when I'm reconverting all my .FLAC files to mp3- to the new root directory for mp3 files- as overwriting occurs etc. Be appreciative of any clarification you can give me here!

Yes. That option is only available in the "My Music" folder on your C drive. However, it is available in each individual album folder regardless of location.
I'm not familiar with Mp3 Tag, but I'm assuming that you are tagging with ID3 v2.+. Unfortunately if the song also has an ID3 v1. tag (and, yes, it can have both and they can be different), Windows reads this first. The utility I use, MP3 Tag Tools, has the option of batch converting ID3 v1. tags to be the same as my ID3 v2. tags. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that you can also just delete all the ID3 v1. tags and then Windows will read the ID3 v2. tags.
MP3 Tag should have separate tabs for both ID3v1 and ID3v2 so you can check both to see if this is the problem.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Yes. That option is only available in the "My Music" folder on your C drive. However, it is available in each individual album folder regardless of location.
I'm not familiar with Mp3 Tag, but I'm assuming that you are tagging with ID3 v2.+. Unfortunately if the song also has an ID3 v1. tag (and, yes, it can have both and they can be different), Windows reads this first. The utility I use, MP3 Tag Tools, has the option of batch converting ID3 v1. tags to be the same as my ID3 v2. tags. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that you can also just delete all the ID3 v1. tags and then Windows will read the ID3 v2. tags.
MP3 Tag should have separate tabs for both ID3v1 and ID3v2 so you can check both to see if this is the problem.

Thanks again dude! Though I've been meaning to, I hadn't yet researched into exactly what ID3 tags are, how they function, their properties etc, nor discerned between the different versions and/or varieties of them! I just hadn't gone that deep yet, in my background understanding and awreness, but knowledge and understanding is power!
wink.gif

Scanning over the aticle on ID3 tag (varieties) on Wikipedia (not the most accurate source I know, but a handy tool to obtain a quick idea!), I can already see why ID3 v2- and, particulary, ID3 v2.3- is a better tagging form than ID3 v1, advancing on many of the limitations of that format. However, I have just been using, as a to-date ignorant user, whatever ID3 tag versions the utilities I've used to tag files use (as default). So, considering I've used dbpoweramp, media Monkey and Mp3 tag to tag different files within my archive t different points, I have, likely, different files tagged with different variants of ID3 tag, chequered all over the place! How do/can you identify what ID3 version a file and/or files are tagged with and/or edit and/or delete/remove this?

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again dude! Though I've been meaning to, I hadn't yet researched into exactly what ID3 tags are, how they function, their properties etc, nor discerned between the different versions and/or varieties of them! I just hadn't gone that deep yet, in my background understanding and awreness, but knowledge and understanding is power!
wink.gif

Scanning over the aticle on ID3 tag (varieties) on Wikipedia (not the most accurate source I know, but a handy tool to obtain a quick idea!), I can already see why ID3 v2- and, particulary, ID3 v2.3- is a better tagging form than ID3 v1, advancing on many of the limitations of that format. However, I have just been using, as a to-date ignorant user, whatever ID3 tag versions the utilities I've used to tag files use (as default). So, considering I've used dbpoweramp, media Monkey and Mp3 tag to tag different files within my archive t different points, I have, likely, different files tagged with different variants of ID3 tag, chequered all over the place! How do/can you identify what ID3 version a file and/or files are tagged with and/or edit and/or delete/remove this?

Firstly, try to avoid using ID3 v2.4 since occasionally it can run into problems with Windows Unicode. If you already have 2.4 files don't worry about it unless they cause problems.
I downloaded a copy of MP3 Tag and took a quick look at it. It's probably a little more program than you really need but since you're already familiar with it, open it.
1.If you haven't already, go to "File" then "Add new directory". Select the music directory with all your mp3 files. MP3 Tag will build a database of all your mp3 files.
2. The information that shows up in the right hand window is the latest version tag information. Under the tag tab it will show whether your file is tagged with ID3 v1 and ID3 v2 and what versions.
3.Before you delete any ID3 v1 tags, makes sure that you have an ID3 v2 tag for the song as well.
4.Go to the "Tools" tab, then "Options". Scroll down to "Tags", then "Mpeg".
Make sure that you have a check mark only in the ID3 v1 box under the Remove section.
5.Close the window. From the main MP3 Tag screen, go to the "Edit" tab then "Select all". All the files in the right hand side should be highlighted.
6.Go back to the "Edit" tab, then "Remove". All your ID3 v1 tags will be deleted. You can also select just one file and do this also.
7.You can also adjust the other options under "Mpeg" to your preferences.
8. It appears that to edit individual songs, you just click on the part of the tag that you want to edit and type in your changes. If you only want to write ID3 v2 tags, make sure that the ID3 v1 box is unchecked under "Mpeg" Write.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Firstly, try to avoid using ID3 v2.4 since occasionally it can run into problems with Windows Unicode. If you already have 2.4 files don't worry about it unless they cause problems.
I downloaded a copy of MP3 Tag and took a quick look at it. It's probably a little more program than you really need but since you're already familiar with it, open it.
1.If you haven't already, go to "File" then "Add new directory". Select the music directory with all your mp3 files. MP3 Tag will build a database of all your mp3 files.
2. The information that shows up in the right hand window is the latest version tag information. Under the tag tab it will show whether your file is tagged with ID3 v1 and ID3 v2 and what versions.
3.Before you delete any ID3 v1 tags, makes sure that you have an ID3 v2 tag for the song as well.
4.Go to the "Tools" tab, then "Options". Scroll down to "Tags", then "Mpeg".
Make sure that you have a check mark only in the ID3 v1 box under the Remove section.
5.Close the window. From the main MP3 Tag screen, go to the "Edit" tab then "Select all". All the files in the right hand side should be highlighted.
6.Go back to the "Edit" tab, then "Remove". All your ID3 v1 tags will be deleted. You can also select just one file and do this also.
7.You can also adjust the other options under "Mpeg" to your preferences.
8. It appears that to edit individual songs, you just click on the part of the tag that you want to edit and type in your changes. If you only want to write ID3 v2 tags, make sure that the ID3 v1 box is unchecked under "Mpeg" Write.

Thanks again mate!
smily_headphones1.gif
I really appreciate you taking the time out to offer such detailed explanations and help!

I've- finally!- completed the re-converting process of all my .FLAC audio files/folders to the new root diectory (for mp3 versions of albums etc). I've now gotta organise them into the correct subfolders, which'll take some time, and then I can undergo the process you've detailed above. Might be a while before I get that far, yet, but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes and/or if I run into anymore little problems
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #13 of 17
Anyone know how the (to be) filename of an audio file, stored in a folder hierarchy system of artist>Album>Disc, is defined before it is ripped? Is there a way of customising/configuring this, apart from manually, post-ripping/converting, so it only takes on the track name? Atm, my audio files seem to take on the name 'Artist- Album- Tracktitle' and, on occasion, this can still cause me problems when trying to move the files, as I organise them, clashing with character cap for file name in Windows Explorer, aforementioned above.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #14 of 17
Are you talking about your mp3 files or the original flac files? If the mp3 files are you using dBpoweramp to batch convert your flac files to mp3? If you are then, after you hit the "Convert" button and select your destination folder, make sure that you clear everything out of the "Dynamic" dialogue box except for "[title]".
If you are talking about your flac files, then which program are you using to rip them to your hard drive?

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Are you talking about your mp3 files or the original flac files? If the mp3 files are you using dBpoweramp to batch convert your flac files to mp3? If you are then, after you hit the "Convert" button and select your destination folder, make sure that you clear everything out of the "Dynamic" dialogue box except for "[title]".
If you are talking about your flac files, then which program are you using to rip them to your hard drive?

Thanks for your response! I was talking generically, ie for ripping (to .FLAC) and/or converting (to mp3); basically, prescribing for any file to be be created within a folder directory, ripped or converted. I have sussed it out now though- for either process, both using tools of DBpoweramp- and I can see why you were asking for the specific program I was using in either/or case/process, as it's that which determines/configures the components of the to-be file name. I can see how it works now and know how to use it as I've tried implemeting what I was after- ie track number and title, only, to be assumed by eventual file- with soe CD's that I recieved today. I think I didn't specify the programs I was using as I imagined such would be defined/customised by Windows and not the acessory program concerned (for either ripping or converting). I now have a firm understanding and appreciation of the differentiation between filename and ID3 tag, though, which is smashing!

However, I am left with one potentially monotonous, tedious and time-consuming scenario- having to manually configure all (well, the vast majority, to be precise) of my new mp3 file directory of my entire music catelogue! Is there any way to do this quicker or am I stuck with the manual labour?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back