Name your HD-650 cable upgrade
May 9, 2004 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Fickle-Friend

500+ Head-Fier
For a short period of time I was allowed to borrow some HD-650s from my local hifi shop (the least they could do for a big spending VIP customer). Anyway I've decided I want to buy a pair. I didnt tinker about with the origional pair as it was loaned but i'd like to know what cable upgrade you guys use and why? Theres so many to choose from....
confused.gif

May 9, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 32
Cardas, because it does the job so well that I don't see any reason to upgrade further or try alternate cables; its what I have and I'm happy with it.

PROS:

1. Considered to extend the detail of the HD580/600/650 to much higher levels
2. Excellent imaging
3. Very airy, precise, expansive high end
4. Tightens and deepens bass quite a bit
5. Has absolutely no problem fitting into the HD650, even though its designed for the HD600.
6. Not very microphonic.
7. Light in weight and reasonably flexible.

CONS:

1. One hundred fifty bucks is a lot to spend on a cable; then again, it's an improvement that might do as much for you as upgrading your amp.
2. Some users claim other cables have better bass performance (Zu), a smoother richer sound (Equinox), an overall more balanced, detailed sound with a fuller midrange (Silver Dragon), or are cheaper and offer similar performance (Meier).
3. Cable upgrade will not sonically change the HD650's balance. The HD650 is going to just open up a lot but wont become a different headphone.
4. Reveals crap further down in the audio chain; makes my PC audio sound terrible but makes a vinyl setup sound as vivid as being in the hall itself.
5. Need to buy a 1/4" to 1/8" converter if you are plugging into a 1/8" port of some kind.
6. Lengthy break in time and tends to change, sonically, if lots of movement occurs to the cable.

Cheers,
Geek

May 9, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 32
Guessing is getting your hands on a pair of phones or cables without hearing them first.

I don't think hearing all of the alternatives for a given product in one place is even plausible.

Cheers,
Geek

May 9, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
Guessing is getting your hands on a pair of phones or cables without hearing them first.

Amen... (sheesh, we agree on something
tongue.gif
). IMO, a person shouldn't ever mistake even a majority consensus opinion as definitely applying to their ears/gear/equipment/preferences. A smaller consensus (a few people) has even less chance of working out. That said, sometimes just taking the plunge is the only reasonable option.

May 9, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #6 of 32
I've only tried the Cardas cable so I can not comment on the other replacement cables out there.

I do like the Cardas because it is flexible, not microphonic & the build quality is very good. Soundwise versus the original senn cable, I feel it gives better extention to both ends of the spectrum & has better separation of instruments. The only thing I dont like in the cardas is that its 1/4 plug is not a good fit to my Headroom MOH, it sometimes looses connection momentarily when I move it.

May 9, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 32
The HeadRoom World Tour almost two years ago provided an excellent opportunity to try out the then available Sennheiser replacement cables. BTW, quite interesting the cables that are no longer around; head-to-head comparisons will do that.
icon10.gif
For me, the Cardas ran away with the show, but already different systems and different tastes made this choice not so clear for others. Also interesting that the Cardas still have such a following; pretty hard to go wrong with one of these. I still have a long Cardas hooked up to some HD600s in regular use.

Having neither the time nor the inclination to do multi cable comparisons myself, I have benefited greatly from the reviews and comments of others here. You also get to find out that not everybody's tastes fit with your own. While we may all talk about frequency response, tonal accuracy, clarity, clarity, small detail nuance, and even soundstage, but we do not mean the same things and our final assessments are often different.

Had not heard any other cables before I took a flyer on the Zu Mobius special before Christmas. There may be better cables out there, but, boy, did I luck out with the Mobius on the HD650! An addictive combination in my upstairs system. And now we are hearing from people who know and care that the Mobius has been found lacking in their systems and to their ears. This isn't getting any easier . . . .

May 9, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 32
It seems that the HD580/600/650 each have cables that are more synergous:

The HD580 really sounds best with the Oehlbach (and matches the budget), the HD600 sounds just right with the Cardas and the HD650 sounds amazing with the Zu Mobius. Or I'm just imagining things. I've also heard: Equinox, Silver Dragon and Clou Red. While I will certainly miss my Zu Mobius, I eagerly wait for someone to sell me their Oehlbach (hint hint)!
600smile.gif

May 9, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 32
I use the Cardas with my 600s, I haven't compared other cables with it, I like it as is. With the 650s I am currently comparing the Zu and the Silver Dragon. I think the Silver Dragon is more to my taste but the Zu is a strong contender and I think it's a personal call that may be affected by your system as to which you prefer.

May 9, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 32
Is the Cardas really that inferior to the Zu or Silver Dragon?

May 9, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda

I tried it and didn't like what it did with the 650s whereas I did like what the Silver Dragon and Zu do. OTOH, I love my 600s with it so it's all good...

May 9, 2004 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 32
Which of the more expensive upgrade cables would be closest to the Oehlbach? In what ways are they similar and in what ways do they differ?

May 9, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 32
Hmmmm, thinking out loud here. I keep hearing raves about Grovers interconnects and speaker wire, I wonder how a Grover upgrade cable would sound if he were to make one? Does Cardas sell just the connectors or are there other sources for connectors?

May 9, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I tried it and didn't like what it did with the 650s whereas I did like what the Silver Dragon and Zu do. OTOH, I love my 600s with it so it's all good...

These were my findings also. I use the Zu Mobius. Why? Because I think it is a better cable than the Cardas and the Equinox. I like it with my system slightly better than the Silver Dragon. Although I like the sound stage better with the Silver Dragon. I don't think there are any other choices than these two when it comes to the 650.

May 9, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda

Of course not! IMO, the cardas and equinox cables are the best replacements you can get. I was not as impressed with the zu mobius.

Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back