Name Your Best Audio Decisions For 2011
Nov 13, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #91 of 139

Quote:
Best Decision: selling ALL my equipment and starting over from scratch

Favorite (replacement) purchase: Headamp Gilmore Lite with DPS

I do this once every seven years for a sense of renewal. 
biggrin.gif
  Summer 2010, I blew up my music library going from 54,000 tracks to 2,000. Now up 4,900 with no regrets. Some music I simply had no desire to return to. Now my listening room has 33% more Zen...

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #92 of 139

Quote:
Best Discovery:

Ipod Touch 2G isn't as neutral as I thought. Oops. Best thing I did this year was switch to a Sansa Fuze with LOD for portable use.

The old PS1 makes one very nice CD player for specific headphones and it only cost me $30!

Past $150, price doesn't really always equal better sound quality.

Most headphones I like, sadly are not very well know or under-appreciated. More people should check into headphones that fly under the radar.

Too many headphones now are severely overpriced for the sound you get.

Sounds stupid, but I thought a new K702 cable made no difference due to the internal stock wire still being there. Silver plated copper made me think otherwise. Too bad it's so expensive.

Upgrading my DAC to the HRT Music Streamer II is the best improvement I've made this year. Why did I not buy a better dac sooner? Usually prefer CD players, but that will change soon.

Q701. Yes, no joke.

When people say an amp/dac/headphone is neutral, it usually is not.

90% of all Beyerdynamic DT-770-990 headphones are not compatible with my head. Only the DT-770 Pro is. Too bad.

You don't really need a tube amp for a 600 ohm (or the K501!!) headphone despite what people say.

Mogami wire is the best.

Learned how to make my own cables this year and I'm so glad I did.

Best purchase this year:

Headroom Micro Amp (love this thing), HRT Music Streamer II, KRK KNS-6400

Worst:

DT-990 Pro, ESW9a, D1100 (first headphone that ever made me curse with disgust)

Low point:

Spending 20+ hours modding T50RP and getting nowhere. Only got glimpses of how good it could sound. It's in a landfill now. Think I had a lemon.

Biggest surprise:

DT-770 Pro 80 is super comfortable and not as bad as I thought. If I can score a new one for $120 I'd buy it again.

AD300 sounds better than the AD700!!

White boxed M50 is quite good. Way better than my old pair. Still kind of bores me.

Great! I want cables to be my first foray into the world of DIY. Did your start begin at head-fi in the DIY forum? Or someone assisted or you're self-taught on making cables (trial & error)?

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #93 of 139

Quote:
Buying another Zana Deux and picking up a Oppo BDP-95 as my source.  Plays way above it's $1000 price tag with a ton of versatility.  I highly recommend it.  It replaced my Sonic Studio Amarra 4 and I have not looked back.

Really?! That's promising... and very exciting!  
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #94 of 139

Quote:
Over the years I've probably owned at least 4 pairs of the HD600s and 1 pair of the 650s.  That upgrade thing.  Kept coming make to the 600s
cool.gif

Someone in Germany (Sennheiser) has a poster of your avatar in their cubicle. 

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #95 of 139

Quote:
I do this once every seven years for a sense of renewal. 
biggrin.gif
  Summer 2010, I blew up my music library going from 54,000 tracks to 2,000. Now up 4,900 with no regrets. Some music I simply had no desire to return to. Now my listening room has 33% more Zen...

54,000 tracks!!?!! omg!

i only have 14000 and theres so much more out there!@!#

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #96 of 139

Quote:
Best buy:
Audio Techinica A2000X
STAX SR-404
Beyer DT150
Best tweak:
STAX SR-404LE/SR-507 leather earpads on SR-404.
Best value:
Beyer DT150
Dissapointment:
Audio Technica W5000

Our tastes vary widely in this thread. Care to share how you found the W5000's to be disappointing? I've not yet heard them.
popcorn.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #99 of 139

Quote:
54,000 tracks!!?!! omg!

i only have 14000 and theres so much more out there!@!#

Now, I barely have a third of your musical offerings. Gurl, U might have 2 start sharing! (joking). 
biggrin.gif
  I just published and emailed WarriorAnt my music library in PDF last week. I'd be interested to see yours one day... but not @ 100k tracks!!! But on your way there would be fine...

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #100 of 139

Best buy for 2011

Rega DAC

Biggest Surprise

Audiophilleo USB to SPDIF converter + Rega DAC + V200 + LCD-2

Best Tweak

J River Media Center for Windows 7 64-bit. Sounds better than Foobar to my ears and less finicky.

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #101 of 139

Quote:
Now, I barely have a third of your musical offerings. Gurl, U might have 2 start sharing! (joking). 
biggrin.gif
  I just published and emailed WarriorAnt my music library in PDF last week. I'd be interested to see yours one day... but not @ 100k tracks!!! But on your way there would be fine...

sure, ill have to send it to u one of these days
i wanna see urs too tho! 
tongue.gif

Quote:

Best buy for 2011

Rega DAC

Biggest Surprise

Audiophilleo USB to SPDIF converter + Rega DAC + V200 + LCD-2

Best Tweak

J River Media Center for Windows 7 64-bit. Sounds better than Foobar to my ears and less finicky.

Rega DAC!!!! <3 <3 <3

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #102 of 139

Quote:
sure, ill have to send it to u one of these days
i wanna see urs too tho! 
tongue.gif

Rega DAC!!!! <3 <3 <3

Uh-oh! Seems every where you go, there's a mention of J River Media Center... 
biggrin.gif
  (Gwarmi's reply). I have my PDF in Google Docs. When you send me an address, I'll send it. But you might laugh at the small size, but Silent One is content for now. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #103 of 139

Quote:

Uh-oh! Seems every where you go, there's a mention of J River Media Center... 
biggrin.gif
  (Gwarmi's reply). I have my PDF in Google Docs. When you send me an address, I'll send it. But you might laugh at the small size, but Silent One is content for now. 

definitely going to have to try jriver now.

dunno when though, probably not till december when i buy my WA2/T1/maybe LCD-2 since i wont be at my computer for a month starting the 20th (working away from home, i'll still listen to music and have my laptop though, but i won't be adding songs or messing with my library)

gotta work the outage at Clinton nuclear generating station 

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #104 of 139

Quote:

definitely going to have to try jriver now.

dunno when though, probably not till december when i buy my WA2/T1/maybe LCD-2 since i wont be at my computer for a month starting the 20th (working away from home, i'll still listen to music and have my laptop though, but i won't be adding songs or messing with my library)

gotta work the outage at Clinton nuclear generating station 

In some ways, your returning to work is great! You've special skills that are needed (very important). Can feed your audio addiction. And your fellow Woo mate will keep you company from time to time. 
wink.gif
  Perhaps, you could train me ( or refer me to someone who can) I could go to work here in California. (BIG country kool-aid grin)

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #105 of 139
My collection for the time being is relatively small too ~ 302 albums all mixed FLAC and WAV format. It keeps me going and it's growing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back