Name Your Best Audio Decisions For 2011
Nov 14, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #106 of 139

Quote:
My collection for the time being is relatively small too ~ 302 albums all mixed FLAC and WAV format. It keeps me going and it's growing.

In the last 10 years, I've had a few very large size libraries. But, I'm always reflecting in life.  And it usually gets to a point where some of my tastes change or no longer enamored with a musical discovery and after a few years, if I'm not going back to it, time to purge. As long as I could access some of these tracks in the future, I'd rather have a library that's neat, sleek and efficient.

I'd love to see your library in the future. 
popcorn.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #107 of 139

Quote:
In some ways, your returning to work is great! You've special skills that are needed (very important). Can feed your audio addiction. And your fellow Woo mate will keep you company from time to time. 
wink.gif
  Perhaps, you could train me ( or refer me to someone who can) I could go to work here in California. (BIG country kool-aid grin)

mhm, mostly feeds my audio addiction.and awww thanks, ill still be on head-fi at nights and stuff, just won't be listening to music as much 
triportsad.gif

the nuclear industry is kind of hard to get into, but not impossible. hmm, either know someone inside or go to a school that has a nuclear program (like me!).

california has 2 nuclear plants 
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #108 of 139
Our tastes vary widely in this thread. Care to share how you found the W5000's to be disappointing? I've not yet heard them.
:popcorn:

The main disappointment of the W5000 is not the sound quailty, it is just the sound signature does not agree with me at all. It is the smoothest dynamic headphones I have ever heard. The LCD2 ortho comes close at the cost of nearly all the space and soundstage.

I did a review back when I still have them, while I can totally see they can be the ultimate phone for some of us but it is clearly not for me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/548986/

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #109 of 139

Quote:
The main disappointment of the W5000 is not the sound quailty, it is just the sound signature does not agree with me at all. It is the smoothest dynamic headphones I have ever heard. The LCD2 ortho comes close at the cost of nearly all the space and soundstage.
I did a review back when I still have them, while I can totally see they can be the ultimate phone for some of us but it is clearly not for me.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/548986/

Thanks for sharing, will head over there now...

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #110 of 139

Quote:
Now, I barely have a third of your musical offerings. Gurl, U might have 2 start sharing! (joking). 
biggrin.gif
  I just published and emailed WarriorAnt my music library in PDF last week. I'd be interested to see yours one day... but not @ 100k tracks!!! But on your way there would be fine...

I've got to start combing through that list this week!     Been busy listening to Audirvana Plus and the more I use it the more I like it.
ZoomButt.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #111 of 139
my library just keeps on growing every day lol. and alot of songs i have to download and so on..

theres just so much music out ther@!#!#@#

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #113 of 139

Originally Posted by SilentOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had wanted the WA22 on top of my best buy list this year soooooo bad. But it was not meant to be. You owners get more to play with!

Well there is always next year, you know the WA22 is calling out to you :).

Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

definitely going to have to try jriver now.

dunno when though, probably not till december when i buy my WA2/T1/maybe LCD-2 since i wont be at my computer for a month starting the 20th (working away from home, i'll still listen to music and have my laptop though, but i won't be adding songs or messing with my library)

gotta work the outage at Clinton nuclear generating station 

J River Media Center 17 is definitely the most versatile Media Player, it handles pretty much everything when it comes to media (including DVD's and Blu-rays). 

However when it comes to music only, I really recommend trying out Media Monkey 4 too (not officially released yet, but the final release candidate is available from their forum). I think it is more intuitive and better when it comes to tagging, album art, sorting etc.. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #115 of 139

Quote:
I've got to start combing through that list this week!     Been busy listening to Audirvana Plus and the more I use it the more I like it.
ZoomButt.gif

I really wanna see that list too. I need to give Audirvana Plus more time; have until 27 November. I want to run the Grey Glass through its paces. But at this writing, using the Ray's with Audi'+ doesn't sound as good as it does with Amarra. Maybe the RCA's will change things in a couple of nights.

My experiment last night went horribly wrong (not really). Wednesday evening I hope to restore the wonderful sound that had been emanating inside the listening room until I went under the hood last night.
ph34r.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #116 of 139
Best Buy:
1. HiFiMan HE-6
2. Harmon-Kardon HK 670 receiver
3. The Fisher X-101-B integrated amp

Best Tweak:
1. BitPerfect is simple and cheap and does what it says on the tin, and more audiophile accessories should be like that.
2. Building my own cables is surprisingly easy with a little planning, and regardless of what one thinks about the audible value of bespoke cables, there's no denying the pleasure of having things connected in exactly the ways you want them to be.
# For the most part, though, I don't really indulge much in audio tweaking.

Best Value:
1. Heathkit AR-1500 receiver (free!)
# After free anything else would be a distant second, but in January managed to score an auction lot of 10 random Sennheiser products, mostly store returns. Included was a HD 25-1 II in brand new condition with everything in the box and an MM-50 that is now my regular out-and-about IEMs. The remainder are mostly now in the hands of other happy owners or, in the case of the telephone headsets, have been donated to a charity organization. All cost me a fraction of a typical used price for the HD 25-1 II alone. Hooray for that.

Best Thread:
1. Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners because without this, most of the above entries on this list wouldn't be, and I'd still be on the hunt for a decent amp for the HE-6.
2. my little pony appreciation thread without which I wouldn't have finally been convinced to give the show a try. Hey, when I was a school kid, I used to participate in the fan press, pre-Internet, and in the years since have seen a lot of popular obsessions come and go. If a cartoon intended to sell merchandise to girls can incite this much attention outside of its target market, it's either transcendently bad or unexpectedly good. Try not to judge the cartoon by its fans', uh, occasionally excessive expressions of enthusiasm. You're allowed to watch the cartoons and leave it at that.

Best New Music:
[size=x-small]Since much of my winter and spring was spent archiving and cataloging all the CDs we had in the house, and then we moved house, whatever music buying I've been doing has been mostly to fill gaps in the collection, and I haven't paid a lot of attention to what's going on now. However, among the few 2011 albums that I've bought, one is a monster: Colin Stetson's New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges. Calling it 44 minutes of mostly solo bass saxaphone and spoken word might not win you over, but this would easily make my list of top ten albums of any year. It is challenging music, intimate and massive and emotionally wrought all at once. And hey, that's Laurie Anderson doing the speaking. There's some footage on Vimeo of Colin performing a couple pieces at home; track that down and see what I mean.[/size]

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #120 of 139
I don't watch that much television. But, did I just see a "Hit List" scripted from Law & Order SUV above by a poster? Fetish night, Bank Heist or Kidnapping??? 
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back