Naked HD650's -- HOLY SHEEAT!
Nov 24, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
. Those phones are engineered like that by a German Co, not Koss.

Hey, I resent that. I'm from Milwaukee, and I was friends with Michael Koss' daughter in high school. Although, I don't currently own any Koss products....
icon10.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
I think its been decided that a nice silk or cashmere is to be used for best results...preferably a nice $300+ sweater of some sort (Armani, Prada and so on...)
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Yes let everyone maximise the benefits of de-foaming, because throwing money at something always makes it better. Why Sennheiser didn't think of a thinner foam to remove the veil I don't know, stupid sennheiser. I mean before you even start everyone *knows* the de-foaming will make a difference to the treble, and you concentrate on that massive difference when next listen. Every change in sound you hear is physical not mental, everyone knows that!
BTW this is all sarcasm.^

Nov 24, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #18 of 44
Try to use the pantyhose mod, the drivers exposed like that is not a good way....just an small piece of hair inside the drivers, and you will have some troubles......

Nov 24, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #21 of 44
I went from a stock 650, to a defoamed 600 w/Cardas, to finally get the sound I was looking for, from the big Senns. It's amazing how you can alter the sound characteristics of some cans!
600smile.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I went from a stock 650, to a defoamed 600 w/Cardas, to finally get the sound I was looking for, from the big Senns. It's amazing how you can alter the sound characteristics of some cans!
600smile.gif

True, and IMHO it's nearly always worse (or there's little difference). As a non-defoamer, I gotta say if you don't like the signature of a pair of cans then why do you own them?

Nov 24, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #23 of 44
Well.... I decided to put the foam back.
rolleyes.gif
I wanted to conduct this experiment, and I was pretty happy about it. Yet I looked at the drivers and saw how incredibly fragile they look... so I put the foam pads back on. No worse for the wear, I might add. It was a cool experiment, but now it's back to stock pads, stock foam, and stock cable for me. Until I get my next pair of phones....

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #24 of 44
I think that the difference is very subtle. Pretty hard to even hear it.

Nov 24, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
True, and IMHO it's nearly always worse (or there's little difference). As a non-defoamer, I gotta say if you don't like the signature of a pair of cans then why do you own them?

Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion, would you tell someone who uses Grados, not to experiment with changing the pads? C'mon, where's the fun of DIY modding!!

Nov 24, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Well, I guess that's a matter of opinion, would you tell someone who uses Grados, not to experiment with changing the pads? C'mon, where's the fun of DIY modding!!

True, it's a matter of opinion. Dunno, something bothers me about the concept of modding headphones, particularly high-end headphones. The foam is there as part of the overall sound the manufacturer intended, and I guess the notion of using $350+ cans with panty hose in them strikes me as just a weird thing...
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

True, it's a matter of opinion. Dunno, something bothers me about the concept of modding headphones, particularly high-end headphones. The foam is there as part of the overall sound the manufacturer intended, and I guess the notion of using $350+ cans with panty hose in them strikes me as just a weird thing...
tongue.gif

No doubt, point well taken!!
600smile.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

tongue.gif

Exact. Add to that the fact that those phones don't need this modding at all (uh? lacking treble?!?
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Nov 24, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Dunno, something bothers me about the concept of modding headphones, particularly high-end headphones. The foam is there as part of the overall sound the manufacturer intended, and I guess the notion of using $350+ cans with panty hose in them strikes me as just a weird thing...
tongue.gif

Given that the pads (and most other parts of a Senn) are user-replaceable, I wouldn't call "taking the pads off, replacing the foam sheets with thinner sheets of material and replacing back the pads" as modification.

Just so you know, the foam that Sennheiser puts in those phones are the same kind of material that you'd find in motherboard boxes (and any others that require foam paddings). They are common and cheap stuff.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back