Naim UnitiQute headphone output?
Jan 20, 2011 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

0rangutan

500+ Head-Fier
I have a Naim UnitiQute which I use for my regular 2-channel listening, but have made very limited use of the onboard headphone socket.

I understand that onboard headphone outputs are usually quite poor, however it would be good to get the views of any Qute owners on Head-fi about how the Qute compares with dedicated heaphone amps. Does it beat a £50 amp? £200?

Any opinions much appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 8
Not many people around here own Naim kit, so don't be surprised if you don't get a satisfactory reply.

Onboard headphone outputs can be quite poor, but there are also excellent ones out there. I recall for example that the headphone out of my NAD C352 amplifier was on par with the Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 I also had at the time.

Since I haven't heard the UnitiQute, I can't say for sure, but I expect its headphone out to at least surpass £50 amps and maybe more. Just give it an honest listen if you can.

Better sound quality is not the only reason dedicated headphone amps are produced. Other reasons to make or buy them are added functionality, smaller size, or minimalist ideas. What I'm trying to say is: it may well be that the headphone output of your UnitiQute is great. Don't let the amp hype confuse you.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 8
I have no first hand experience, however, my brother previously had a NAIT5i, Headline 2, FlatCap2.  He downsized to a UnitiQute.  He is very pleased with the UnitQute but he did comment that the headphone out did not compare to the Headline2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back