Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Jan 6, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #181 of 204
I know a lot of people like to collect both open and closed versions of the cans, but at £3K a pair each, plus VAT @ 20%, that seems excessive to me. If the only ZMF you bought were Caldera Open and Closed, then that doesn't seem excessive. I only bought my VC because my wife often sits next to me reading and I don't like to disturb her with my Taylor Swift LP :)

Bliss is big, but I have a huge rack so that's fine. For you, look at Ferrum Oor with Hypsos.
Oh for the Caldera, I’d only plan to keep one. I don’t collect headphones. Closed would be best just so family noise doesn’t bleed in and I don’t bother them. But in brief listen to Atrium I preferred the sound of the open vs the closed. I did own an AT L3000, which is a close wooden/leather headphone) for over 10 years and mostly had no issues but when had a chance to own an open headphone I took it. But who knows what Zach can do? If he can pull it off so it sounds as good as the open I’d be willing to sell. I’d probably go for a limited wood edition this time though.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #182 of 204
Oh for the Caldera, I’d only plan to keep one. I don’t collect headphones. Closed would be best just so family noise doesn’t bleed in and I don’t bother them. But in brief listen to Atrium I preferred the sound of the open vs the closed. I did own an AT L3000, which I a close wooden/leather headphone)?for over 10 years and mostly had no issues but when had a chance to own an open headphone I took it. But who knows what Zach can do? If he can pull it off so it sounds as good as the open I’d be willing to sell. I’d probably go for a limited wood edition this time though.

Good choice. The Bocote on my Aeolus is stunning. When Caldera were first released, Zach made the cups from Kingwood, with steel grilles. Absolutely stunning...

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #183 of 204
Good choice. The Bocote on my Aeolus is stunning. When Caldera were first released, Zach made the cups from Kingwood, with steel grilles. Absolutely stunning...
I passed on the Kingwood since preferred the coffee stain/copper look and was worried about weight. I still love the look but just seeing some of the other woods that have come out. Don’t care for the resin color sets. Prefer natural look.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #184 of 204
This is a bit of an odd request, but if anyone has the original packaging for the Uniti HE and is interested in selling it, I am willing to pay a reasonable price for it. Please send me a private message.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #185 of 204
Oh for the Caldera, I’d only plan to keep one. I don’t collect headphones. Closed would be best just so family noise doesn’t bleed in and I don’t bother them. But in brief listen to Atrium I preferred the sound of the open vs the closed. I did own an AT L3000, which is a close wooden/leather headphone) for over 10 years and mostly had no issues but when had a chance to own an open headphone I took it. But who knows what Zach can do? If he can pull it off so it sounds as good as the open I’d be willing to sell. I’d probably go for a limited wood edition this time though.
Yeah, right there with you. I finally had to give up my Abyss 1266 Phi TC's to keep the peace in my house (I like to listen LOUD). Absolutely love my Verite C's, though. Same for my Focal Stellia's, which I recently sold and replaced with the Bathys. It was simply a matter of timing, I suspect the Stellia's are due for a refresh/replacement soon and decided to cash out now.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #186 of 204
I use Atrium with tubes, but I don't see why it couldn't also sound good with a SS amp.
I recently had both the Woo Audio WA33 and XI Audio Formula S amps for comparison (The XI Audio was purchased specifically for use with the Abyss 1266 Phi TC's based on JPS Labs recommendations). Long story short, I ended up keeping the XI Audio (with Powerman PS) and selling the Woo WA33. I loved the sound of the WA33 tubes, but along with that comes the "overhead" of tube warmup, heat, and eventual replacement costs. I found the XI Audio to be the closest to Tube sound of any SS amp I've heard. And it was less expensive, so that made the decision to part with the WA33 easier. Ironically, I have since sold the 1266's, but I still love the sound of the XI Audio with my Verite C's.

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #187 of 204
Hello everybody, I'm thinking of purchasing an AIO solution for my work space. Has anybody compared the Matrix Element X2 with the Atom HE, it would be great if anybody could advise as I'm finding it impossible trying to demo either unit here in Vancouver!

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #188 of 204
I recently had both the Woo Audio WA33 and XI Audio Formula S amps for comparison (The XI Audio was purchased specifically for use with the Abyss 1266 Phi TC's based on JPS Labs recommendations). Long story short, I ended up keeping the XI Audio (with Powerman PS) and selling the Woo WA33. I loved the sound of the WA33 tubes, but along with that comes the "overhead" of tube warmup, heat, and eventual replacement costs. I found the XI Audio to be the closest to Tube sound of any SS amp I've heard. And it was less expensive, so that made the decision to part with the WA33 easier. Ironically, I have since sold the 1266's, but I still love the sound of the XI Audio with my Verite C's.
I think the WA33 is a very clean sounding tube amp. It gives a hint of tube sound, with a lot of power, but I don't find it colors the sound much. It's a very clinical sound to my ears. Could just be the tubes I am running as I switched all the stock ones. The Viva by comparison, is more tubey, but adds life to the music.

Thinking of switching the WA33 for the ZMF decware soon. I needz moar tubez sound.

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #189 of 204
Hello everybody, I'm thinking of purchasing an AIO solution for my work space. Has anybody compared the Matrix Element X2 with the Atom HE, it would be great if anybody could advise as I'm finding it impossible trying to demo either unit here in Vancouver!
Budget? Headphones you will be using?

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #190 of 204
Budget? Headphones you will be using?
I have budget for the Matrix or the Atom HE.
I'm currently own Chord Hugo2+2go.
Mostly use Qobuz, Tidal and Apple Music via Roon for listening.
Headphones - HD650 / H800s / LCD-1 / LCD-5 / LCD-MX / Stellia and currently considering a pair of Diana MR's

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #191 of 204
Headphones - HD650 / H800s / LCD-1 / LCD-5 / LCD-MX / Stellia and currently considering a pair of Diana MR's
What are you looking to gain moving to an all in one?

Edit:

I have quite a bit of experience with Naim and Chord, at all price points up to full 500 series stack and Dave, etc.

It's my opinion that Chord makes a great dac, and Naim makes a great streamer.

If I was you, I'd use your Hugo as the dac/amp, and the Atom HE as the streamer/source. Chord and Naim pair wonderfully together.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #192 of 204
What are you looking to gain moving to an all in one?

Edit:

I have quite a bit of experience with Naim and Chord, at all price points up to full 500 series stack and Dave, etc.

It's my opinion that Chord makes a great dac, and Naim makes a great streamer.

If I was you, I'd use your Hugo as the dac/amp, and the Atom HE as the streamer/source. Chord and Naim pair wonderfully together.
Interesting… I didn’t think of doing that. I’m trying to reduce ‘hassle’. At the moment I’m using my computer as the Roon Core, I’m going to purchase a Roon One and was hoping I could just get everything I need (dac / HP amp / Roon streamer) in an all in one box solution - Element X2 or Atom HE.

I have a Linn Selekt DSM that I use with B&W 805s and it’s a perfect all in one solution. So, ideally looking for the same for my headphone setup.
Love the Hugo2 but I find it’s not very reliable with the 2go as a streamer!

I’m also hoping that the Atom HE or Element X2 would be a better amp vs. The Hugo2?

Apr 29, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #193 of 204
I don't have experience with all the gear you mentioned, but I did have a Atom HE for a while. It's a great all in one, and it would be a challenge to find an AIO that would be better for the price point. Chord DACs just sound right to me when paired with Naim. The latter have the bass and timing. The former has the clarity. Together they really boogie.

That being said, I do not know of any AIO that will out perform separates.

But if you are using it for work, then you may not want to go too far. You won't get anything done. 😂

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #194 of 204
Love the Hugo2 but I find it’s not very reliable with the 2go as a streamer!
I had this problem for a while. Check wifi settings or change wireless access points. I went from completely frustrated by problems to not having a single issue with it in the last few years.

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #195 of 204
I had HD650, LCD-5, Stellia, Qobuz, and Roon when having Atom HE. They all worked pretty well, and I believe Atom is also able to provide enough juice to Diana MR. The Atom HE sounds very musical and is super convenient to use. I never had any issue with connections and almost everything can be controlled on your phone. It's hard to achieve this with separates.

I had a lower end product, Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 long time ago. I remember it was also a versatile all-in-one product that sounded transparent and airy to me. Depending on what sound you are looking for, the higher end matrix element x2 may be a good alternative to Atom HE. I personally prefer the robust build of Naim (the unit was very heavy regardless its small size). Naim products also have longer life cycles, not like Matrix and other companies who push new products every 1-2 years.

One thing to mention, I never found good synergy between Atom HE and other gears (Streamers, DACs, AMPs). It sounded good itself, but not so good when I use it as a source or amp. I think it's best using it as an all-in-one unit. YMMV!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back