Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
May 11, 2021 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 186

Mightygrey

Headphoneus Supremus
Starting off a thread here for the new super all-in-one that has just been announced by Naim: The Uniti Atom Headphone Edition.

1620766644948.png

Network: Ethernet (10/100Mbps)
WiFi (802.11 b/g/n/ac with internal antennae)
Multiroom: Sync up to five Naim Streaming products and control via the Naim App.

Audio Inputs
Digital: 2x Optical S/PDIF up to 96kHz, Coaxial RCA (up to 24bit/192kHz, DoP 64Fs)
Analogue: 1 x Stereo RCA pair
USB: 2x USB 2.0 (Type A connector)
Streaming: Apple AirPlay 2, Chromecast Built-in, UPnPTM, Spotify® Connect, TIDAL, Roon Ready, Bluetooth, Internet Radio, Qobuz

Audio Outputs
Balanced XLR Preamp output
RCA Preamp output

Headphone Outputs
4.4mm Pentaconn (balanced) 4 pin XLR (balanced) 6.35mm (¼ inch) jack (unbalanced)
1.5W RMS per channel into 16ohms
Suitable for headphones from 16ohms and upwards

Based on the success and performance of the non-headphone version of the Uniti Atom, plus the ridiculous spec and feature list of this new version, it ought to be a pretty exciting and capable unit indeed. I'm looking forward to heading reviews and feedback on this from the community!

May 17, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 186
My Uniti Atom Headphone Edition review can be found here.

May 18, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 186
Curious how this compares to the Focal Arche, sound wise. This sure wins for looks and features. I do like the idea of the one box solution and can be used completely wireless, which means can move it anywhere in the house.

I’m very happy with the sound of the Focal Arche but would be nice to minimize my setup. Hoping to even ditch roon and just use Spotify hifi once released, so would be completely stand alone and not depend a separate core running roon.

May 19, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 186
Currently looking for an AIO system for my living room. Curious how it compares with the Hugo 2 + 2go.

May 20, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 186
Hi. I have been using it for only one day and my early impressions are VERY FAVORABLE. I have had the Chord Dave, the TT2, the Hugo 2, the Mojo, Burson Audio Conductor Reference, Schiit Asgard 3, RME ADI-2, iFi DSD and several others and while the Chord products have a slightly more "live" sound (which is very good) the Naim Uniti Atom HE's DAC is very good.

I recently also had the new Cambridge Audio EVO 150 which I graded as a "B" overall (sound is good but short of amazing and I had consistent issues with WiFI connectivity).

Interestingly the Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition unit is a bit smaller when you see it in person than it looks in pictures. Very substantial though and really a piece of art.

Here is the news flash headline - "The Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition is Superior to the Cambridge Audio EVO in Almost Every Facet".

The sound is better, the looks are better, the connectivity is better (simpler and very few connection issues). I am really enjoying it. In fact with the Cambridge EVO I used the pre amp out to a Woo Audio WA2 to get a warmer sound profile. But with the Naim UA HE I did not need the WA2 to "improve" the sound.

Wow !

This is how audio companies can get a large fan base !

Attachments

• naim HE.jpg
    naim HE.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #10 of 186
Hi. I have been using it for only one day and my early impressions are VERY FAVORABLE. I have had the Chord Dave, the TT2, the Hugo 2, the Mojo, Burson Audio Conductor Reference, Schiit Asgard 3, RME ADI-2, iFi DSD and several others and while the Chord products have a slightly more "live" sound (which is very good) the Naim Uniti Atom HE's DAC is very good.

I recently also had the new Cambridge Audio EVO 150 which I graded as a "B" overall (sound is good but short of amazing and I had consistent issues with WiFI connectivity).

Interestingly the unit is a bit smaller when you see it than it looks in pictures. Very substantial though and really a piece of art.

Here is the news flash headline - "The Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition is Superior to the Cambridge Audio EVO in Almost Every Facet".

The sound is better, the looks are better, the connectivity is better (simpler and very few connection issues). I am really enjoying it. In fact with the Cambridge EVO I used the pre amp out to a Woo Audio WA2 to get a warmer sound profile. But with the Naim UA HE I did not need the WA2 to "improve" the sound.

Wow !

thanks! so if you can keep only one out of all the dac/amp combo units you've experienced which would it be?

May 20, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #13 of 186

Interestingly the Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition unit is a bit smaller when you see it in person than it looks in pictures. Very substantial though and really a piece of art.

Wow !

I found I enjoyed the Focal Arche as much as the Chord Dave/mscaler but didn’t have the same level of detail or live sound. Once I started using HQPlayer with it, I swear it even sound better than the Dave/mscaler in that regard too. What I don’t like is all the boxes and the setup just to make this happen.

So with the Naim Uniti Atom HE, I’d have just two boxes, the dac and the roon core and even that might go away if Apple Music can eventually play hires thru AirPlay 2 or if Spotify hifi sounds great at cd quality. My issue would be that I wouldn’t want to trade out the Focal Arche for the Naim if it sounded worse. I don’t think using HQPlayer is possible with it but really want to go for simplicity anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back