NAIM CD player - MARANTZ vintage amplifier - TANNOY Eyris DC3 speakers
May 11, 2006 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
I have this project in mind.

I don't know what model the Naim CD player would be, most probably the cheapest. To my understanding, Naim CD players DO ROCK.

And who could resist to mulveling's review of the Tannoys?
biggrin.gif

Anybody thinking it would be a less than fantastic (=bad) combination? If so, SPEAK NOW! - or keep silent forever.
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey, sounds good to me
biggrin.gif

One thing I've noticed is that the Tannoys are fairly forgiving - either tubes or solid state can be a good match. They're not terribly picky about specific gear and they don't require tons of power. I've even driven them from a low-end H/K surround sound receiver (AVR-225), and though not optimal they still sounded really nice.

May 12, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 5
Naim CD players do indeed rock. I'm currently demoing a CD5i, which is their least expensive model, and it's quite impressive. After the 5i, prices on subsquent models go up quite a bit.

May 12, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 5
The Tannoy and Naim setup seems like a great match. But I am not sure about the Marantz... I have not heard their vintage stuff but I was not impressed when looking for a newer int. amp with my Tannoys. As stated Tannoys do not require massive amounts of power, but they do like to have a lot of oomph put their way. Why not check out the Naim Nait 5i to go with the CD player? I would recommend my Portal Panache also, as this thing gets down and rocks. YBA also might be good?

It just seems like although the Marantz may be good, the tannoys and naim cdp will kind of outclass it here.

May 12, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for everybody's comments.

Vintage Marantz amps are quite good IMHO. I can't speak about their current models, I have no idea how they sound.

There must be a "weakest link" in any hi-fi system, anyway!
icon10.gif

Since no one seems to be thinking that it would be a terrible mistake to pair the Naim with the Tannoys via the vintage Marants (which, BTW, is a 3250 preamp / DC170 power amp), it looks like this is the way to go.

Now any hints for low priced Naim and Tannoy in Europe would be welcomed!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back