Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Sep 5, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #601 of 695
The problem with Roon is it does not sound anywhere as good as the native dedicated app, at least it doesn’t on my Lindemann Bridge streamer. Not as transparent.

I now have a Naim HE in house and will test this out.

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #602 of 695
The problem with Roon is it does not sound anywhere as good as the native dedicated app, at least it doesn’t on my Lindemann Bridge streamer. Not as transparent.

Audio is as you know extremely subjective. Some things in it are more anchored . For example. The source chain is extremely important in understanding your end output sound to your headphone. It’s not about how expensive the equipment is per se, but do you have the right “Match” Paring” etc. I always use apple as an example of how integration adds a plus in performance. Like memory , Even Chromebook is an example . A Chromebook with 8GB of ram can outperform a PC with twice that? Now computer examples may seem a bit staring but one way I know how to explain it. I’ve had a lot of the HP and AMP discussed over 6 decades. For example Lina was mentioned. The Lina amp is now power house by any measure. Put the Lina amp paired with the Lina Dac and Clock and plug in your AB 1266. I tell you its top shelf at any price. I have been fortunate enough at time to have some quite expensive components but that combo is up there with all the 40 to 50K systems running around out there. IMHO as I said Audio is subjective………..

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #603 of 695

So the native Naim app vs the roon app both playing Qobuz do somehow sound slightly different. I agree that the roon app seems slightly less transparent but I actually find it better since it’s seems like it’s got better bass weight or flow. The native app sounds better at first but then not enjoying as much as roon the longer I listen. Also these differences are so minor that it’s worth it to use roon if you already own it just for ease of use. But at least you have options. I actual find Qobuz thru Chromecast to sometimes sound even better but a pain to use and not gapless.

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #604 of 695
The JPLAY app for iOS sounds better than the Focal-Naim app in every way. I only tested it playing local NAS content though. Give it a shot, its only $50 USD per year subscription.

It also has full integration with Tidal/Qobuz

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #605 of 695
Let me say the notorious Naim break in effect is real. I have been reading about it for 20 years in British hi-fi mags but never experienced it until now. I only ever briefly owned a well used Nait 5, and no other Naim components until now.

At first the Naim Uniti Atom HE was edgy and congested. but still sounded promising. I started smashing it with the Tellurium Q burn in tracks (essentially the same as the Isotek burn in disc). After a short period the sound then went very flat and 2 dimensional. But now it has opened up and sounds good. This is using the RCA preamp output into my power amps. I'll put another 50 hours on it before making a full assessment.

I only just tried out the headphone stage (single ended) using my Mark Levinson No.5909 cans. They are wireless but include a pure passive mode when wired.
They sound great from first go, but I am not a headphones guy so have no frame of reference to know how good/bad it is.

I will also put 50 hours of burn in on that headphone output and see if it improves with break in as well.

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #606 of 695
Never heard of JPLAY before but just gave it a try. I’d say the sound quality is the same as roon. Really can’t tell the difference. If I wasn’t already a roon lifetime member, JPLAY might be a good choice since it’s got a great interface and sound quality. It also had seamless setup and found Naim and connected to Qobuz.

And I only use Naim HE with headphone out. Used to be the XLR and now the 4.4mm. Only tried the single end as a test with my Caldera and didn’t like it and wouldn’t recommend it. But even with the XLR, things sounded very congested when I first got the unit. Ran it for over 50 hours and the sound opened up and has sounded great since. The open sound is interesting. It was still not as open as when I heard the new schitt headphone amp but it’s more atmospheric. It’s not the bright open sound but a real 3D textured space that takes up space. It’s the biggest difference I notice over my Focal Arche. And even when I had the Chord Dave/mscaler, it lacked this low end texture compared to the Naim.

Sep 25, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #607 of 695
Does anyone have experience with the Empyrean on the Naim (and if so, which cable did you use)?

My Empyrean has been with a friend for a little while and I can’t immediately get it back for testing, but an opportunity has come to sell it if I want.

Therefore I am wondering about the synergy, as if it’s good, I’ll just take my Empy back and keep it with this setup. Otherwise I’ll let it go.

I love the Empyrean and Elite on the Naim, but due to them being a bit darker, more romantic and less revealing than the Utopia, I prefer them with either the Meze PCUHD Silver cable or (better still) with the Lavricables Grand Silver

Oct 21, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #608 of 695
Does anyone know if Naim is going to support Tidal FLAC at hi-res levels anytime soon?

Oct 21, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #609 of 695
Does anyone know if Naim is going to support Tidal FLAC at hi-res levels anytime soon?
One would have to assume they’re working on it in beta already. Only Lumin has released a production version. Not even roon has released update for their early release yet. Believe the issue is Tidal put out a 3 month hold for developers. But with this said, only Naim knows for sure and they haven’t said anything yet. I’m sticking with Qobuz for now.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #610 of 695
I briefly owned a Naim Atom HE that I wanted to try as a DAVE+Mscaler replacement.
I didn’t give it much of a chance and sold it on. Now that the Chord stack is gone, I decided to try it again- such an excellent product for the money.

The one annoyance so far is the audible hiss out of the 4.4 balanced out.

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #611 of 695
I briefly owned a Naim Atom HE that I wanted to try as a DAVE+Mscaler replacement.
I didn’t give it much of a chance and sold it on. Now that the Chord stack is gone, I decided to try it again- such an excellent product for the money.

The one annoyance so far is the audible hiss out of the 4.4 balanced out.
No hiss here on any of my headphones 🤔 What headphones or IEMs are you connecting to the HE? I know from various forums that the HE might not be as good a source to IEMs as it is to over-ears

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #612 of 695
Background hiss seems well documented on the Naim community forum. Also getting some annoying noise when the unit is on standby.
Only way to get rid of it is to completely switch it off.

EDIT: switching server mode off solves this issue during standby.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #613 of 695
Impedence on the headphone out really isn't designed for IEM's.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #614 of 695
Yeah, I’ve never gotten any hiss with any of my headphones. Completely black background out of 4.4mm and XLR. Only tried full size headphone. Never used single end except for brief test.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #615 of 695
The HE therefore still is my absolute go-to player when at home. In fact I now have two, one in the living and one in my home office …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back