Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Dec 11, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #331 of 710
Hey folks. Coming from a Chord Qutest and Auralic Taurus mk 2 amplifier I was wondering if the Uniti Atom HE would be a step up or down in performance? Wife pushing me for an all in one system so here I am lol. I use mostly the Fostex variants of headphones and Hifiman planars. Do these pair well?

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #332 of 710
I haven't heard your exact combination although own the Hugo2 (similar to the QuTest)

I suspect it will be more of a side-step. Gut feel is perhaps not so worth it to splash out when you have a very reasonable DAC/AMP.

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #333 of 710
Hey folks. Coming from a Chord Qutest and Auralic Taurus mk 2 amplifier I was wondering if the Uniti Atom HE would be a step up or down in performance? Wife pushing me for an all in one system so here I am lol. I use mostly the Fostex variants of headphones and Hifiman planars. Do these pair well?
Yeah, it would be a step up in looks and convenience. Hard to say about sound quality. The amp you have is recommended for the Hifiman. Not sure how hard those are to drive. The Naim had no problem driving the planar Expanse and those are hard to drive. I have a Caldera on order and will see how those sound with it. Believe those are easier to drive.

It also depends are sound signature. Naim is a more forgiving dac that focuses on rhythm and pace more than ultimate resolution, like the Chord dacs are after. But if never heard Chord with a separate amp. The Hugo 2 didn’t have a lot of weight and the Dave sounded pretty good but was only driving the Utopia at the time.

But the Naim HE is easy to setup and move around. Looks great anywhere in the house. I have it next to the couch but have moved it to the bedroom from time to time and ready to go in under a minute. And I ended up preferring it’s sound signature over Chord’s but that may not be the case for everyone.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #334 of 710
Thanks folks.

For the looks, convenience and keeping the mrs happy I’m seriously considering this. As long as it’s not a downgrade to my current setup I’ll be happy.

Any one here used there Naim Uniti Atom HE with Fostex headphones ? Specifically TH900 mk 2 ?

Dec 27, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #335 of 710
Hey all. Been considering an all-in-one solution like the Uniti for a while. I moved away from IEMs and used only headphones, and currently use an iBasso DX300 Max (very powerful and sounds terrific will full sized cans).

I wanted to ask if anyone has perhaps compared the Naim to the DX300 Max or similar TOTL DAP (e.g., SP2k / SP3k, N8ii, etc.)?

Also, has anyone using or have you heard the Naim with the Meze Elite or T+A Solitaire P? And if so, how were these pairings and did the Naim do the headphones justice?

Dec 27, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #336 of 710
The Naim is not designed to drive IEM’s. It is a class AB headphone all-in-one.

The house tuning and power will satisfy the vast majority of headphone users. There is little to complain about from aesthetics, ergonomics to performance.

The SP2K is a more neutral, resolving unit as is typical of A&K ultima DAP’s. The firmware is outdated and laggy. It does not have anywhere near the power as a desktop unit re: headphones. I tend to pair my SP2K with the Cayin C9 when I can be bothered to do so. Whilst I haven’t heard the Meze Elite, the NAIM plays well with Empyrean and Audeze.

Dec 27, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #337 of 710
I have the Elites and the Naim HE and it pairs up well. It’s worth adding a good power cable with it as well. It also acts as a great pre-amp into a tube amp.

Dec 28, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #338 of 710
I have this gear for one year now and i think it’s a better preamp than a headphone amp. A very good streamer and dac but i prefer to join a warmer headphone amplification. Just my way. But for my accuphase speaker amp, it’s just the perfect match.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #339 of 710
Quick question on data sources. I have several microSD cards I used with DAPs. Can I use those with the Naim (eg. using an SD card to USB adapter)?

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #340 of 710
Quick question on data sources. I have several microSD cards I used with DAPs. Can I use those with the Naim (eg. using an SD card to USB adapter)?
Yes... I use this adapter for that purpose

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221229_094043_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229_094043_Samsung Internet.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #343 of 710
Is Airplay only way to play Apple music with Atom? No native app inside?

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #344 of 710
Is Airplay only way to play Apple music with Atom? No native app inside?
It’s not the only way. But there is no native app. Also the issue with Airplay 2 and Apple Music is that currently Apple Music still outputs at only 256 aac over Airplay 2. This is not only Naim but any Airplay 2 device. Possible this could change in an upcoming IOS release.

So the other way to play Apple Music on the Naim is a direct connection via coaxial or optical input. I have a usb to coaxial converter that works directly with the iPad mini usb-c port. On an iPhone, you’d also need to used the camera converter. With the direct method you can play hires files all the way up to 192k. With this method you bypass the streamer so the album art doesn’t show up and you lose the playback controls on the remote other than volume. You have to control only on mobile device and also be hardwired in. Kind of takes away from the beauty of the Naim.

I personally use roon with Qobuz but do have an Apple Music account for my family. So if Apple enables true lossless over Airplay 2 or some lossless handoff feature, I’ll drop Qobuz and just use Apple Music. Apple Music over Airplay 2 loses a little bit of spatial cues and sounds flatter than Qobuz. Also little less sparkle. But overall it doesn’t sound too bad for just casual listening.

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #345 of 710
It’s not the only way. But there is no native app. Also the issue with Airplay 2 and Apple Music is that currently Apple Music still outputs at only 256 aac over Airplay 2. This is not only Naim but any Airplay 2 device. Possible this could change in an upcoming IOS release.

So the other way to play Apple Music on the Naim is a direct connection via coaxial or optical input. I have a usb to coaxial converter that works directly with the iPad mini usb-c port. On an iPhone, you’d also need to used the camera converter. With the direct method you can play hires files all the way up to 192k. With this method you bypass the streamer so the album art doesn’t show up and you lose the playback controls on the remote other than volume. You have to control only on mobile device and also be hardwired in. Kind of takes away from the beauty of the Naim.

I personally use roon with Qobuz but do have an Apple Music account for my family. So if Apple enables true lossless over Airplay 2 or some lossless handoff feature, I’ll drop Qobuz and just use Apple Music. Apple Music over Airplay 2 loses a little bit of spatial cues and sounds flatter than Qobuz. Also little less sparkle. But overall it doesn’t sound too bad for just casual listening.
I use my iPad now with RME’s usb input.
It would be kind of silly use Atom that way. There’s no native app, so i forget Atom. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back